Best Power Amp for Modelers

I just bought HB GPA-400 power amp and connected that with my Axe FX 3.
https://www.thomann.de/fi/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm

also bought:

https://www.thomann.de/fi/rockboard_flat_trs_cable_60_cm_bk.htm (thes between Axe and HB)
https://www.thomann.de/fi/pro_snake_tpl_15_aa.htm (to connect HB power amp to my 212 stereo cab).

Sounds really nice!

I tried and tested sounds that I didn´t bypassed out cabinet modelling and
also that I bypassed cabinet modelling from global settings, both ways worked nicely, of course
the sound was little bit different concerning which way to use that setting.

Connection:

Guitar -> Axe FX 3 Output 1 L and R (1/4 outputs) using TRS - TRS cable -> HB GPA-400 inputs L and R -> Channel A and B outputs to my
stereo cabinet L and R (Cabinet is Laney LT212 which I modified for stereo use. Earlier only mono and now mono and stereo choice. M/L and R)

Before this I had Axe FX 3 Output1 connected to my Presonus Studio 1810 with XLR cables and Presonus Studio then had my active monitors.
Now I can use same time simultaneously my active monitors and guitar stereo cabinet I want.

You can use simultaneously Axe FX3 Output 1 XLR and 1/4 outputs.

I don´t know which is the best Power amp for modelers but this HB GPA-400 is affordable price and sound for me really good.
I also considered Palmer Mach 402 but since lot´s of players gave good reviews about HB I bought it.

After all the most important thing is itself guitarist and sounds comes from finger. If player don´t have skills at all then there is no
equipments that save the situation ;D

For all you BAM200 users, do you leave poweramp modeling on or off?
I'm in the process of building two f12x-200 1x12 cabs for stereo. I already have a Powerstage 170 that I use with PA modeling on and am thinking of getting a BAM200 for the 2nd cab...

After a miscue with a Powercab 112, I ended up getting a QSC K12.2 powered speaker. It sounds GREAT for either bass or guitar! And I dare you to try to send it something it can't handle. I am so pumped!

I just bought HB GPA-400 power amp and connected that with my Axe FX 3.
https://www.thomann.de/fi/harley_benton_gpa_400.htm

also bought:

https://www.thomann.de/fi/rockboard_flat_trs_cable_60_cm_bk.htm (thes between Axe and HB)
https://www.thomann.de/fi/pro_snake_tpl_15_aa.htm (to connect HB power amp to my 212 stereo cab).

Sounds really nice!

I tried and tested sounds that I didn´t bypassed out cabinet modelling and
also that I bypassed cabinet modelling from global settings, both ways worked nicely, of course
the sound was little bit different concerning which way to use that setting.

Connection:

Guitar -> Axe FX 3 Output 1 L and R (1/4 outputs) using TRS - TRS cable -> HB GPA-400 inputs L and R -> Channel A and B outputs to my
stereo cabinet L and R (Cabinet is Laney LT212 which I modified for stereo use. Earlier only mono and now mono and stereo choice. M/L and R)

Before this I had Axe FX 3 Output1 connected to my Presonus Studio 1810 with XLR cables and Presonus Studio then had my active monitors.
Now I can use same time simultaneously my active monitors and guitar stereo cabinet I want.

You can use simultaneously Axe FX3 Output 1 XLR and 1/4 outputs.

I don´t know which is the best Power amp for modelers but this HB GPA-400 is affordable price and sound for me really good.
I also considered Palmer Mach 402 but since lot´s of players gave good reviews about HB I bought it.

After all the most important thing is itself guitarist and sounds comes from finger. If player don´t have skills at all then there is no
equipments that save the situation ;D
Your last sentence...was you looking at me when you wrote that? Like most of America nowadays...I hate the truth... :rolleyes:

Since February 2023 I have a new favorite "power amp": Milkman The Amp 100.
Not only it is a perfect choice for me to amplify my FM 3 on stage but - and that was the unique selling point for me - I can also use it as a complete amplifier with wonderful sounding reverb. I tested it with my Fender American Professional Limited Edition Light Ash Telecaster (2,8 kilos, onepiece ashbody and one piece maple neck) and connected it directly to my Brunetti Singleman 1x12 cab with WGS Veteran 30 speaker and got a so good sounding and reacting (!) clean amplifier that eats pedals and FM 3 like children eat candies....wonderful! The reaction on my picking dynamics are so good that I really forget that it only has a tube in the preamp. Tim and his crew really nailed that one!
It is a perfect clean channel amp for me and with the good cabinet from Brunetti I do not need an all tube combo anymore.

I can take my little pedalboard and the Milkman Amp 100 mounted on it, too and have a really great rig for little sessions where I do not need the possibilities of the FM 3. And with FM 3 no matter if I play clean, overdriven or distorted: Everything sounds so good and I leave the power amp simulation on the FM 3 on and the FM 3 dynamics seam to increase because of the dynamics of the Amp 100. Highly recommended as you get one unit for two different use cases. That makes it worth the price IMO.

Last edited:
Not only it is a perfect choice for me to amplify my FM 3 on stage but - and that was the unique selling point for me - I can also use it as a complete amplifier with wonderful sounding reverb. I tested it with my Fender American Professional Limited Edition Light Ash Telecaster (2,8 kilos, onepiece ashbody and one piece maple neck) and connected it directly to my Brunetti Singleman 1x12 cab with WGS Veteran 30 speaker and got a so good sounding and reacting (!) clean amplifier that eats pedals and FM 3 like children eat candies....wonderful! The reaction on my picking dynamics are so good that I really forget that it only has a tube in the preamp. Tim and his crew really nailed that one!
It is a perfect clean channel amp for me and with the good cabinet from Brunetti I do not need an all tube combo anymore.

I can take my little pedalboard and the Milkman Amp 100 mounted on it, too and have a really great rig for little sessions where I do not need the possibilities of the FM 3. And with FM 3 no matter if I play clean, overdriven or distorted: Everything sounds so good and I leave the power amp simulation on the FM 3 on and the FM 3 dynamics seam to increase because of the dynamics of the Amp 100. Highly recommended as you get one unit for two different use cases. That makes it worth the price FMO.
Looks really interesting. Just wondering, can you use the EV PXM-12MP monitor as a speaker with this?

I can take my little pedalboard and the Milkman Amp 100 mounted on it, too and have a really great rig for little sessions where I do not need the possibilities of the FM 3. And with FM 3 no matter if I play clean, overdriven or distorted: Everything sounds so good and I leave the power amp simulation on the FM 3 on and the FM 3 dynamics seam to increase because of the dynamics of the Amp 100. Highly recommended as you get one unit for two different use cases. That makes it worth the price FMO.
Not sure what model it was, but when I was trying some guitars in my local shop, they gave me a Milkman and a pair of headphones, and it was cool, way better than competing with everyone else in the room.

Not sure what model it was, but when I was trying some guitars in my local shop, they gave me a Milkman and a pair of headphones, and it was cool, way better than competing with everyone else in the room.
It could have been the Amp or the Amp 100. The Amp has less power and a built in tremolo. The amp 100 has more lower mids. On headphones it is good, too but try it on a good quality guitar cab and boom! There it is! With my Telecaster it is so addictive to play through :) Milkman has earned a good reputation with their amp range and they would not have made the amp or amp 100 and lose it.

It could have been the Amp or the Amp 100. The Amp has less power and a built in tremolo. The amp 100 has more lower mids. On headphones it is good, too but try it on a good quality guitar cab and boom! There it is! With my Telecaster it is so addictive to play through :) Milkman has earned a good reputation with their amp range and they would not have made the amp or amp 100 and lose it.
I heard back from Tim at Milkman and he said it would work fine.

Milkman sounded great till I saw the price -=wow it looks great but to rich for me
I thought it, too and it took me a while from selling my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and purchase the Amp 100 but: I do not need a seperate tube amp anymore. And as I wrote even playing the Amp 100 directly to a guitar cab is soo much fun....dynamics, attack response, clarity, huge and rich tube clean tone. Add a good drive pedal in front of it and you have a nice pure setup for small sessions. And I replaced the knobs with fender amp barrel knobs in creme like those on a Fender Bassman to have a more amp look. Really great :)

Your last sentence...was you looking at me when you wrote that? Like most of America nowadays...I hate the truth... :rolleyes:

Nope! But truth is very simple, if player is talent and have really good technique with musical skills then things sounds good even
instruments are not best quality. Also every player sounds different with their own touch (ex. when I bought one Ibanez I tried and played then
that salesperson also played same guitar with same adjustments and we sound so much different, that salesperson I´s professional player and I´m not):)

Back
Top Bottom