Best power amp for Axe Fx Ultra to use with a 4x12 cab

Metaldude2016

Hey I want to use my Axe Fx ultra with a 4x12 mesa cab. I read somewhere that it would work if I used a power amp. What are my options as far as power amps go? What are the best sounding power amps that would work in this situation? Best sounding and sound vs. price options? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I used an ART sla2 with a carvin 412 and had great success with it. Some say It doesnt sound quite as good as a matrix sstate amp but its loud as hell and never failed me. and about half the cost or less. Its a class A/B amp which is what everyone always said is the better type. I also have a carvin 1540l which is a lot more powerful but the ART is almost as loud.

Hey there!, it works allright. I use a 2x100W stereo tube amp. Connect the Amp with input 2 of your Ultra. Be sure you add FX in your chain of every preset.

I used an ART SLA with my Ultra and a THD 2x12 cab six years ago or so. It sounded OK and was easier than dealing with cabinet simulations. Switching to a Matrix GFX1000 improved the sound a lot. The Matrix just sounds more like a guitar amp though the fake tube lights are goofy. It's about twice the cost, though. At home, I use Adams A3 studio monitors -- monitors are a great solution if you aren't gigging or rehearsing with the unit. I currently use an AX8 through the FR12. Great sounding and very light.

I used an ART SLA with my Ultra and a THD 2x12 cab six years ago or so. It sounded OK and was easier than dealing with cabinet simulations. Switching to a Matrix GFX1000 improved the sound a lot. The Matrix just sounds more like a guitar amp though the fake tube lights are goofy. It's about twice the cost, though. At home, I use Adams A3 studio monitors -- monitors are a great solution if you aren't gigging or rehearsing with the unit. I currently use an AX8 through the FR12. Great sounding and very light.
Great story, I also used a Matrix GFX100, but I prefer a 2x100W tube amplifier and two ENGL E212 Pro speaker cabs with Vintage 30 whitch I am using now on stage. It sounds great! Question; is the AX8 better sounding than the Ultra?

Lot of people liking the fryete power station as well. Seems to be that and the matrix that get the most love. I've got a matrix and sounds great. ASM-12's sound better though and then you get to play with IR's which is the best part

I found a Crown XLS locally for very cheap and it's doing a great job. Just a linear power amp, nothing special.

Great story, I also used a Matrix GFX100, but I prefer a 2x100W tube amplifier and two ENGL E212 Pro speaker cabs with Vintage 30 whitch I am using now on stage. It sounds great! Question; is the AX8 better sounding than the Ultra?

The Ultra sounds great but the Axe II and Axe8 have a more amp in the room sound and don't require as much eq tweaking. The 8 sounds just like the II except 1) there is a more noticeable gap when switching presets, 2) CPU constraints are much more of a factor, 3) the effects are more limited

The Ultra sounds great but the Axe II and Axe8 have a more amp in the room sound and don't require as much eq tweaking. The 8 sounds just like the II except 1) there is a more noticeable gap when switching presets, 2) CPU constraints are much more of a factor, 3) the effects are more limited

Okay, tnx for your reply! I should try this ones

I have used the ultra, axe 2, and ax8 with a mosvalve mv962 and the matrix gt800. Both sound fantastic I do think the mosvalve has something going on that I prefer It defiantly is not flat response but just has this vibe about it.

I'm heading towards the Marshall 20 20, 1u and 20watts in stereo is surprisingly loud, As regards the speakers, I was looking at something along the passive Mackie/Yamaha 1x12 and horn

The Monoprice 605030 should work fine if you are looking for just a power amp (i tried to post a link, but the forum thinks its spam... oh well). It has 1/4" speaker outs too, which i dont believe the SLA2 has..

Back
Top Bottom