Best power amp for a real cab with the Fractal Axe FX III

DFauvre

Inspired
I have gotten so used to the Fractal that I've now returned a Marshall 1959HW, Orange Custom Shop 50, EVH 5150 100watt, and a Victory VX100. So...I have the XiTones which are terrific, however, it's still missing that bloom, pop, wide high end of a real expensive tube amp. What is the best power amp AND cab to pair with the Fractal III, that is NOT an FRFR?

I'm using a matrix GT1600FX into a Mesa 4x12 slant with celestion century vintage speakers. I've had this cab since 2007. I knew nothing of speakers when I got it, its just what came with the roadster I bought. I'm used to hearing every amp through that. There are so many cabs and speaker combinations that there really is no best, just what you like. I'd narrow that down maybe based on the IRs you're using.

Power amps you might see on the forum
Seymour Duncan Power stage (solid state, comes in different watt configurations. It has tone controls)
Matrix gt series ( solid state, different watt configurations, stereo and mono mode. No tone controls)
Fryette power station (100w tube, there are a few models with different configurations, fx loop, presence and depth controls)

I've only used the Matrix stuff and the FX loop on my Mesa Mark V so I can only comment about those. The matrix allows me to keep power amp modelling on and let that shape the tone and response on each amp model. It sounds good both loud and bedroom levels. It is lightweight and can be had as small as a 1u rack space. I have the GT1600FX so it is 2u.

Keep in mind, with any combination of this new setup, you'll have to rework your presets. Don't plug and play with your current patches minus the cab block and expect to be blown away.

I use the Matrix GT1000 with my monitor wedge. I don't use it with a cab, but I've heard lots of good feedback from people who have. And Metallica uses them for their stage cabs, so that's a pretty solid endorsement.

I often use Axe Fx 3 with my Boss Waza Tube Expander or loop of my BE 50 . Works amazing , improves the feel quite a bit

I have a Matrix GT10002U and a VHT 2/50/2, with guitar cabs the VHT is night and day better BUT it is not neutral. The VHT/Fryette can work with IRs but you will need to eq accordingly . If you are a rock guy 2/50/2 is the way to go but if you use a lot of models that the power stage push is absolutely fundamental you may still want to sacrifice some of the 3D alive feel then the matrix is ok. But in the end no amplification system for Axe is perfect across the spectrum . They all do the job until you put them in a room with the real thing then you start to get what actually delivers (almost non them particularly FR FR .)

I've tried the returns of my Marshalls (1987X clone and DSL20), didn't gel with the powerampmodelling; Orange Pedalbaby's, great sound; now Matrix Gt1000fx, fantastic sound. I really think I'm done with tubes this time.

I have a GT1000FX that I use with real cabs and if you tune the Speaker Impedance correctly you get all the thump and 3D of a tube amp IMO.
I had a GT1000FX, I don't recall being particularly impressed with how it sounded through my 2016 4x12 EVH 5150 IIIs cab. I must have been doing something wrong as so many above sing it's praises. Is there a trick to getting it to sound great with the Fractal? If yes, can those of you who have one and have liked it, can you please say what cab you were using and what settings on the GT1000FX?

I have a GT1000FX that I use with real cabs and if you tune the Speaker Impedance correctly you get all the thump and 3D of a tube amp IMO.
can you use the GT1000FX with the XiTones? To get the tube sound to the XiTones? If yes, how? I realize there are now two power amps the GT1000FX and the one in the XiTones

I have a Matrix GT10002U and a VHT 2/50/2, with guitar cabs the VHT is night and day better BUT it is not neutral. The VHT/Fryette can work with IRs but you will need to eq accordingly . If you are a rock guy 2/50/2 is the way to go but if you use a lot of models that the power stage push is absolutely fundamental you may still want to sacrifice some of the 3D alive feel then the matrix is ok. But in the end no amplification system for Axe is perfect across the spectrum . They all do the job until you put them in a room with the real thing then you start to get what actually delivers (almost non them particularly FR FR .)
If I understand your quote, my experience of the Fractal is that it's great to have all the options at your finger tips, the stereo effects through two XiTones is killer, using it to record is great, being an room with it is NOT the same as having a great amp in the room. Wish it was...is that what you're saying?

I often use Axe Fx 3 with my Boss Waza Tube Expander or loop of my BE 50 . Works amazing , improves the feel quite a bit
What do you mean by '... loop of my BE 50' what is a BE 50 and what do you mean by 'loop' thank you

Just read bout the Boss Waza Tube Expander. I'm a little confused. Is it essentially the same thing as my Rivera Rock Crusher?
http://www.rivera.com/product/attenuators-cab-sims/rockcrusher-recording/
How is it different besides offering Cab IR and effects? What does sound great is to run a real tube amp through the River Attenuator's line out with the EQ off into the the line in on the Fractal as then you get all the goodies in the Fractal besides the amp block however, IMO, that kind of defeats the purpose of the Fractal...as the amp blocks are it's claim to fame. Would appreciate your commenting on my Rivera vs. the Boss Waza

Just read about the 2/50/2, can not fucking believe I did not know about this piece of gear before now, it fucking has EL34s in it? WTF? That's awesome. So it sounds better than the Matrix? Maybe I didn't dial in the Matrix right, but I was not impressed when I used ti between my Fractal and a 4x12 EVH cab.

Just read about the 2/50/2, can not fucking believe I did not know about this piece of gear before now, it fucking has EL34s in it? WTF? That's awesome. So it sounds better than the Matrix? Maybe I didn't dial in the Matrix right, but I was not impressed when I used ti between my Fractal and a 4x12 EVH cab.
Sorry I'm confused. How makes the VHT? Fryette? Or is VHT the name of the company? I can't find a 'VHT' model on the Fryette site. Thanks!!

Sorry I'm confused. How makes the VHT? Fryette? Or is VHT the name of the company? I can't find a 'VHT' model on the Fryette site. Thanks!!

VHT amplification was founded by Steve Fryette in the late 1980's. Steve sold the VHT name in 2009 and changed the name of his company to Fryette. The 2/50/2 models that were made before 2009 are VHT branded and the new ones are Fryette branded but there have been no design changes (to my knowledge).

Back
Top Bottom