Best portable power amp in 2017

Cem

Experienced
What do you think is the best non-rack, compact power amp unit in the market right now?

P.s.: It's not EHX Magnum obviously.

Do you think this must be an option for Axe8..? It says that this product will coming soon..so is not on the market right know..1 and : Im using two cabs left right,Axe8,ART SLA and a Furman voltage regulator...buying this SDpowerstage 170 will simplify my set up..? Is a stereo power amp..? ( I guess not ?! )
It will work on 220 volts as iti is in EU ?

Do you think this must be an option for Axe8..? It says that this product will coming soon..so is not on the market right know..1 and : Im using two cabs left right,Axe8,ART SLA and a Furman voltage regulator...buying this SDpowerstage 170 will simplify my set up..? Is a stereo power amp..? ( I guess not ?! )
It will work on 220 volts as iti is in EU ?
All I know about it end to end is what's on the website, and the little bit a friend of mine at NAMM told me about it.
It may let you simplify. If you have the space on your board, you could mount it to your board, so you could get rid of the rack (the furman and the ART). The NAMM listing for it shows it as a stereo power amp, but I'd want to see a manual or more pictures to verify.

You're a little low on details. What are you using it for? Why are you not just using a set of FRFR or Studio monitors? Are you running an actual cab? What style of music?

There is no 'one size fits all' with this box, so what is your story?

R

Of course it always depends on what your needs are, yet Quilter has some options and is an excellent option.
I have a Pro Block, 200 watts of clean power, tonal control options, effects loop, and only 4lbs.
Used mine for a few fly gigs recently and even an "in town" show. Performed spectacularly.

Matrix GT1000 is also an ex ellen choice, yet it's rack mount, not as portable.

I'm suprised that Matrix has not jumped on the pedal board amp band wagon. Their designs are really nice and compact it would be interesting to see what they could do in this market.

You're a little low on details. What are you using it for? Why are you not just using a set of FRFR or Studio monitors? Are you running an actual cab? What style of music?

There is no 'one size fits all' with this box, so what is your story?

R

I use studio monitors for daily use, practising and recording and I am flawlessly happy. And I generally use stage monitors when gigging. But sometimes the character of the monitors in the venues or rehearsal situations, makes the play feel weird, even though it sounds great on the PA or listening to it after rehearsal recording.

So I am looking for something to power my Suhr 1x12 ported badger cab from FXL of the AX. While recording straight to monitor myself when I'm not happy with the sound of the monitors I have.

If I were in the market for such a thing I would be looking at the ISP Stealth as a serious contender. High power rating, Class A/B, quality company, two models to pick from: dual, mono.

I guess the quilter is interesting too and would be the other main contender... but it is designed as its own thing first and is class D, I know they are a TGP fad right now... so maybe there is something good there or maybe it is just group/brand think... would have to see for myself.

There are a few other class D chip-amp in a box designs like the magnum that are popping up (in fact quilter is doing one, as is mooer, etc), but TBH, I would just pick those based on cost from a place with a good return policy and not expect much; they are all basically the same deal from a power amp perspective. Some like the Q might include a preamp section (i.e. like a simple drive pedal integrated) but that adds minimal value for an AX8/Axe user.

Last edited:
If I were in the market for such a thing I would be looking at the ISP Stealth as a serious contender. High power rating, Class A/B, quality company, two models to pick from: dual, mono.

I guess the quilter is interesting too and would be the other main contender... but it is designed as its own thing first and is class D, I know they are a TGP fad right now... so maybe there is something good there or maybe it is just group/brand think... would have to see for myself.

There are a few other class D chip-amp in a box designs like the magnum that are popping up (in fact quilter is doing one, as is mooer, etc), but TBH, I would just pick those based on cost from a place with a good return policy and not expect much; they are all basically the same deal from a power amp perspective. Some like the Q might include a preamp section (i.e. like a simple drive pedal integrated) but that adds minimal value for an AX8/Axe user.

Do you think that Quilter MicroBlock would be much better than EHX Magnum 44?

Both the SD Powerstage 170 and the ISP Stealth Ultra-Lite seem very interesting, but are these "guitar voiced" and meant to be used with regular guitar cabinets, or are they clean, flat power amps that can be used successfully in a FRFR setup with FRFR speakers..?

Last edited:
Both the SD Powerstage 170 and the IST Stealth Ultra-Lite seem very interesting, but are these "guitar voiced" and meant to be used with regular guitar cabinets, or are they clean, flat power amps that can be used successfully in a FRFR setup with FRFR speakers..?

I think Power Amp's aren't really something voiced. I haven't read anything like that about any product. They are colored or not-colored, transparent or not kinda.

I am planning to use it with a regular guitar cabinet. And Stealth is nearly half price of Powerstage! They are all new items from namm 2017, can't order any! ARGH!

Both the SD Powerstage 170 and the IST Stealth Ultra-Lite seem very interesting, but are these "guitar voiced" and meant to be used with regular guitar cabinets, or are they clean, flat power amps that can be used successfully in a FRFR setup with FRFR speakers..?

I think Power Amp's aren't really something voiced. I haven't read anything like that about any product. They are colored or not-colored, transparent or not kinda.

I am planning to use it with a regular guitar cabinet. And Stealth is nearly half price of Powerstage! They are all new items from namm 2017, can't order any! ARGH!

What worries me about the Stealth is this quote: "True analog breakup when you drive the input." For use with the AX8 I just want clean, loud, and flat, not "analog breakup."

Good question. They don't give frequency-response specs. The copy for the Stealth Ultra-Lite is confused and contradictory (it gives you "glorious analog-colored breakup," but won't "risk coloring your sound." They both tout their built-in EQ, which you don't normally see on power amps—even ones intended for guitar. My guess is they're not true FRFR, but they don't really tell you.

If the OP is looking for something you can buy today, and not waiting for the new Quilter\Stealth to be released I would go with the Alto TS210 PA speaker.

At 22 pounds, $250, and a 1000 watts.... its hard to beat on bang for your buck. The Matrix FR10, would be my 2nd choice, at 21 pounds, with 300 watts, for $800

Back
Top Bottom