Best plug-ins for ‘in the box’ tones?

Baldadi

Inspired
Hi all,

Working more often with ‘just a laptop’ (and sometimes my Native Instruments Maschine MK3… great box) away from my AxeFX 3… using Guitar Rig 5 for tones for now, Logic X built in guitar amps/sounds are not great…

What do you guys use for ‘in the box’ tones? Looking for versatility, clean, fusion, decent fx, rock… Any suggestions?

Thx, R

I love the NDSP Standalone Archetype Petrucci for all things JP, and lots of other tones as well. Plus, the metronome has more features. They offer a trial period which if not for that, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Also, the effects are more basic, which I actually prefer some days.

I'm all Fractal at this point, but I quite enjoyed two lesser-known ones from Plugin Alliance, the Chandler GAV19T and the Engl E765 RT.

Scuffham is great too, and some of the more recent Amplitube stuff.

I'm all Fractal at this point, but I quite enjoyed two lesser-known ones from Plugin Alliance, the Chandler GAV19T and the Engl E765 RT.

Scuffham is great too, and some of the more recent Amplitube stuff.
I'm all Fractal too ;-), but lately I've been jamming and composing more and more in my living room while my Axe resides in the studio. So what's a man to do? Best results I get for now are with Guitar Rig 5 (from Native Instruments), which nicely integrates with my Maschine MK3 and Komplete Software. But we are all spoiled bij Fractal...

In this tune you can hear me play a lead tone from Guitar Rig (playing on my new Tom Quayle Signature guitar, love it), and you can hear the digital saturation sort of overloading the tone, although I quite like the vibe and delays of the tone...

I'll check out your suggestions, thx!

Neural DSP and Scuffman feel and sound good. I prefer them to Guitar Rig. Both have trials so give them a shot.

Just to say it, from my perspective, you can do lots better than Guitar Rig, which I personally detest :)
Haha I love a strong opinion based on experiences. Guitar Rig came with my NI Komplete bundle so had to give it a shot. I can work with it for on the fly composing when I use Maschine. Will def check Scuffham out. Is NeuralDSP also for edge of breakup tones? Their marketing feels really prog/metal oriented…

I haven't tried the Neural stuff, no need, so I don't know how it'd do for the less gained-up stuff I typically go for, but you're clearly right about the image they project.

If you're looking more for EOB, clean, and driven, and less for metal djent, definitely try the Plugin Alliance ones I mentioned. They'll definitely rock out, but they really excel at less gain than that, which in my experience is a lot harder to do realistically and with nice feel.

Get the demos, see what you think. They have a number of other models too, but those two really stood out to me, and are lesser-known amps, which is also kind of cool.

Plugin Alliance does all sorts of games with pricing -- sales, monthly vouchers, yadda. If that kind of coupon clipping optimization appeals to you, or you really need to make every penny count, watch for sales, and get on their mailing list. There's a sale on now and ending soon, or maybe just did, but that's often true. Those are older stuff, so less expensive in the first place.

I have the NDSP Tone King for lower gain and their Soldano - both are great. I also like Amplitube for which I have the full license.

NDSP seems to have significant following, but shelling out 100-130 EUROs per sub-pack sounds less attractive... ok, some researching to do ;-)

JS recorded his last offering using pretty much plugins, no amps and no modelers. Many were NSDP as well IK. The Neural stuff I have used with just a laptop live and they are great. Check out Plini and the Fortin Cali suite. As long as your machine is fast enough you should have no problem. I have also used the plugins in the EL loop of modelers as well as capturing them. Lots of options out there and of course depends on what the work needs.

Back
Top Bottom