Best placement for Freqout pedal in the grid?

warlockII

Fractal Fanatic
I've read through a lot of posts in different threads, but haven't noticed if there is an optimal placement for the Frequout pedal. I've been running the simulated feedback in most of my presets, but wanted to regain the pitchblock, so I have a freqout being shipped today. I'm planning on permantly mounting the pedal in my rack and running it through in/out 3 and using a momentary switch on my midi pedal like several of you are. Is it best to have the Freqout feeding directly into the Amp block or at the beginning of the chain?
Thanks as always!

I had the most luck with it as early as possible in the chain, but I’m by no means an expert user of the Freqout.

I've read a lot of posts in various discussions, but I haven't noticed if the Frequout pedal has an optimal placement. I've been using simulated feedback in most of my presets, but I wanted to get back to pitchblocking, so I'm sending out a freqout today. Like some of you, I want to permanently place the pedal in my rack and run it through in/out 3 while utilising a momentary switch on my midi pedal.

It's important to put pedals that do pitch detection, like the FreqOut, before any effects that shape the guitar signal (for example the amp block). I don't use an effects loop at all for my FreqOut. I put my FreqOut, and my Drop, between the guitar and the AxeFX.

It's important to put pedals that do pitch detection, like the FreqOut, before any effects that shape the guitar signal (for example the amp block). I don't use an effects loop at all for my FreqOut. I put my FreqOut, and my Drop, between the guitar and the AxeFX.
I messed with placing it in the loop and before the Axe. Both worked fine, but I eventually settled on in front of the axe to free up the loop, and because it seemed to work best using the switch on the freqout.

Yes, this.

Yes, this.
I thought we could select the input block as the pitch detection regardless of where it's placed in the grid. PLEASE don't take this as me arguing, I'm making sure I'm not making a silly mistake. BTW, thanks for the feedback so far (yes pun intended).

I have mine always on in loop 4 at beginning of chain (pre) in parallel injecting 0-10% of the "freq'd out" signal into the mainline signal / controlled with expression pedal/modifier using lots of damping.

I messed with placing it in the loop and before the Axe. Both worked fine, but I eventually settled on in front of the axe to free up the loop, and because it seemed to work best using the switch on the freqout.
I use a rack wireless, so I'll definitely need to trigger it using my midi pedal.

I thought we could select the input block as the pitch detection regardless of where it's placed in the grid. PLEASE don't take this as me arguing, I'm making sure I'm not making a silly mistake. BTW, thanks for the feedback so far (yes pun intended).

This is about inserting the real pedal into the chain. No pitch detection by the III.

This is about inserting the real pedal into the chain. No pitch detection by the III.
Duh, I'm so used to using the simulation that was posted that my brain isn't working. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. The joy of the axe is we don't have to make the compromises of the analog world...I sometimes forget that.

I've read through a lot of posts in different threads, but haven't noticed if there is an optimal placement for the Frequout pedal. I've been running the simulated feedback in most of my presets, but wanted to regain the pitchblock, so I have a freqout being shipped today. I'm planning on permantly mounting the pedal in my rack and running it through in/out 3 and using a momentary switch on my midi pedal like several of you are. Is it best to have the Freqout feeding directly into the Amp block or at the beginning of the chain?
Thanks as always!

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 6.07.03 PM.png

This is a preset I moved from my III to the FM9 (my III isn't hooked up to my computer right now or I would have used AxeEdit), but I'm doing exactly that. I always put it first, but I'll drop the stuff I won't be using at the same time under it. I can't hit the momentary switch at the same time I'm using a wah pedal, so it's efficient!

I have the momentary switch running into the FC Pedal 1 jack, you can use it like a normal momentary switch for just turning on a flanger for a second or two, or you can assign it to the Whammy and have it shoot up an octave while you're holding it down. whatever you can think up.

Good memory, @la noise!!

View attachment 89612

This is a preset I moved from my III to the FM9 (my III isn't hooked up to my computer right now or I would have used AxeEdit), but I'm doing exactly that. I always put it first, but I'll drop the stuff I won't be using at the same time under it. I can't hit the momentary switch at the same time I'm using a wah pedal, so it's efficient!

I have the momentary switch running into the FC Pedal 1 jack, you can use it like a normal momentary switch for just turning on a flanger for a second or two, or you can assign it to the Whammy and have it shoot up an octave while you're holding it down. whatever you can think up.

Good memory, @la noise!!
Thanks for the screen shot and ideas! On a side note, did you use to have output 2 connected to that bottom line instead of branched off of the feed to output 1 so you had a separate feed for a guitar cab?

Definitely make it the first one in the chain. I had one (when it worked) and went from guitar -> Freqout -> Axe.

Thanks for the screen shot and ideas! On a side note, did you use to have output 2 connected to that bottom line instead of branched off of the feed to output 1 so you had a separate feed for a guitar cab?
I believe that's why it's set up like that. It's actually a preset from Austin Buddy's Live Gold pack that happened to sound GREAT with my PRS and since I'm childish, I re-named it. He sets up all his presets in such a well thought out way that they can be used in multiple setups with just minor tweaking.

I'm actually right now going through my FM9 and cleaning up presets/adding in Out 2's to them because I'll be mic'd and going direct in the band I just joined. I'm still deciding if I'm going to buy another Freqout for this rig or not, as the one I already have is in the III rack, well...hanging out on top of it. I use the pedal quite a bit, even when I can crank up loud enough to get real feedback, because I LOVE getting it at low volumes or on clean sounds.

Hi

Sorry I have not read the posts above so apologies for any repetition. As I record the DI and reamp, I use mine in a loop using Input3 and Output3, then I put it first in my Axe FX chain.

I find the pedal, even on bypass, sucks a little tone out of the guitar so I set up a button on the FC6 to turn it on and off as and when I need it.

Another reason is if you use effects such as the Capo, you can place it after the Capo effect rather than pitching the squeal.

I hope that helps.

I have a patch set up I can share if that helps.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom