• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Best Place to Adjust Volume

jw3571

Inspired
I've noticed when downloading presets from Axe Change, that the volume usually needs to be increased or decreased. I've typically done that through Axe Edit under the amp block just changing the level. Is this the best place to do it or does it make more sense to increase it from the output block or input block? I prefer to do it from Axe Edit as I don't sit close to the Axe FX.

jw3571

Inspired
Thanks for the replies, so when you say the amp block, you're talking about the "level" adjustment in the amp block, correct?

JoKeR III

Power User
Is it the exact same thing if I just increase it from the output block?
Yes and no, they are separate controls but both will increase/decrease the volume. The Level in the Amp block is the typical control used for volume matching presets. I've never used the level in the Output block on any Fractal device so I can't speak to why it would be used.

Last edited:

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
The problem I see with doing it this way is that the amp blocks put out different levels based on the model that is used. There are some fairly significant differences in the output based on the model. If you are sending a signal that is too hot to all the blocks after the amp you can get clipping. Also you want a consistent signal if you use external effects in one of the FX loops.

AndrewJay

I set the main preset level in the Amp Block but I do sometimes decrease the level in one of two Output Blocks that I have set up. One output block goes into a power amp into a cab. I do not adjust the level there. I do change the level in Output Block 1, which I use to go into an interface or DAW. You certainly do not have to do it this way, it just works for the way my head organizes it for me. The Axe is pretty flexible if you want things done a particular way for whatever reason, or you can keep it simple and just use the Amp Block level control as the sole way to control the volume. It's nice to have such flexibility on a per preset base.

unix-guy

Legend!
The problem I see with doing it this way is that the amp blocks put out different levels based on the model that is used. There are some fairly significant differences in the output based on the model. If you are sending a signal that is too hot to all the blocks after the amp you can get clipping. Also you want a consistent signal if you use external effects in one of the FX loops.
Which is why you adjust the level in the Amp block using the VU meter. ;)

Jozsef Kiss

Inspired
Changing the volume is a big problem for me too.
Because I don't understand the description!
Can I request a preset setting?
Which shows a volume solution.
Thank you very much!

IronSean

Inspired
The difference with the output block is this:

At the amp block you're adjusting your level there. It changes the level everything after it see,s like the delays and reverbs. They see a louder signal and the delay repeats are louder to match.

If you adjust it at the Output block, you're adjusting it at the end of everything. And what this means is that some effect trails like delay and reverb might be boosted or cut in volume when the level changes. ie, if you're cavernous reverb is still echoing and you change scenes to one where Out1 is 6db louder, then your reverb will suddenly be 6db louder too. If you adjust in the amp block then your reverb never changes.

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
If you adjust it at the Output block, you're adjusting it at the end of everything. And what this means is that some effect trails like delay and reverb might be boosted or cut in volume when the level changes. ie, if you're cavernous reverb is still echoing and you change scenes to one where Out1 is 6db louder, then your reverb will suddenly be 6db louder too. If you adjust in the amp block then your reverb never changes.
Yep, you don't want your trails suddenly becoming much louder or softer, so it's better to keep all the scene volumes in a preset about the same.

I use Vol +/- switches to dial things in at rehearsals, or when I'm on stage and just need to adjust something quickly. So after a while, I may run into that problem of verb/delay levels. What I'll do is go through the presets and balance the levels elsewhere. As everyone's said, the amp block is the go-to, but it isn't always as simple as "boost 4 db in the amp block and cut 4 db at the Output" because if you use the amp compressor it changes the response of the Level control. So, sometimes I'll use the Level in the Cab block or Vol block (which I have after the Cab but before the verb/delay) because it's quicker and I know the levels will match.

Top Bottom