best passive FRFR for Axe-fx III and Seymour Duncan PS 700 ?

Build some F12-X200 cabs?
Or use one these and that speaker?

https://www.vboutiqueusa.com/shop/vboutique-usa-vboutique-usa-frlr-1-x-12-w-celestion-f12-x200/
Actually that page now appears to say the speaker is included, which either I missed before, or that's changed. I had thought that this was pretty expensive for what it is, but it's actually not with the Celestion. I'd clarify that w them before ordering though.

https://reverb.com/item/56762146-ce...pty-cabinet-original-celestion-design-us-made

Last edited:
I personally use a pair of Mission Engineering Gemini 1 passive cabs with my PS700 and I really enjoy the sound. Perfect balance between FRFR-type sound and a more guitar cab-like character.

Redsound MF.10 is incredible. I have the stereo pair, so I’ve never driven the passive cab with one of my power amps. I also have a passive Matrix FR212 that holds up pretty well against them, which I primarily use with my Matrix power amp but I’ve also used a powerstage 170 with it just messing around. The 10” speakers on the MF.10 are tighter and slightly better suited for the mid range that guitar lives in. The 12” speakers in the FR212 by comparison can be very boomy, but I always low cut 100 hz on full range speakers anyway. So it’s not really a drawback I suppose. That’s what FRFR is supposed to be. The range is extended way beyond what you need for guitar, so you cut out the excess.
In summary: if you go with Redsound, you win. Your journey is over. But if you can find a great deal on a used Matrix, I believe you’ll still be pretty happy.

If you’re in Canada and think the Redsound MF.10’s look interesting you might want to look at Yorkville’s NX10C-2. They are very close to being functionally equivalent. Both use a 10”/1” coaxial design. The Redsounds look more aesthetically pleasing but if you want something that’s built like the proverbial brick shit-house the NX10Cs are hard to beat. They sound mucho dope at a reasonable price.

The specs are at https://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/nx/product/nx10c-2/

Build some F12-X200 cabs?
Or use one these and that speaker?

https://www.vboutiqueusa.com/shop/vboutique-usa-vboutique-usa-frlr-1-x-12-w-celestion-f12-x200/
Actually that page now appears to say the speaker is included, which either I missed before, or that's changed. I had thought that this was pretty expensive for what it is, but it's actually not with the Celestion. I'd clarify that w them before ordering though.

https://reverb.com/item/56762146-ce...pty-cabinet-original-celestion-design-us-made
That speaker, in the proper spec'd cab, paired with a powerstage is REALLY good actually.

Why wouldn't you just go with active speakers? You have a plethora of choices in all budgets if you go active speakers. I'm using Yamaha HS8 s for my homes and JBL 305PMKII's for travel, which are pretty close to the HS8's. Both have a very, very flat curve, fairly close to FRFR. No disrespect to passive cabs, but they're going the way of the dinosaur when it comes to FRFR.

Just my two cents worth...

I have Yamaha HS8s with a sub for multiuse and mixing.
But use a simple regular 1x12 CAB with a Matrix power amp for best guitar sound.

Why wouldn't you just go with active speakers? You have a plethora of choices in all budgets if you go active speakers. I'm using Yamaha HS8 s for my homes and JBL 305PMKII's for travel, which are pretty close to the HS8's. Both have a very, very flat curve, fairly close to FRFR. No disrespect to passive cabs, but they're going the way of the dinosaur when it comes to FRFR.

Just my two cents worth...
because I already have SD PS700 and passive frfr are much cheaper. for example, yamaha CBR10 costs only 330€ and most people are happy with them.

thanks to all for the replies.

I should mention, that my studio monitors are Adam A7X´s and would prefer passive FRFR cab, which outputs at least the "same" audio quality.
Based on response, it looks like passive red sound MF10 is the way to go..a bit pricy though, but of course, you get what you pay for.

thanks to all for the replies.

I should mention, that my studio monitors are Adam A7X´s and would prefer passive FRFR cab, which outputs at least the "same" audio quality.
Based on response, it looks like passive red sound MF10 is the way to go..a bit pricy though, but of course, you get what you pay for.
I have an A7X pair and a pair of MF 10's. With the same EQ from the AFIII they don't sound the same - that's probably very obvious.... It's possible to make them more similar but this is audibly a very different approach to a speaker solution. However if by "same audio quality" it's a comparison of competency in their respective design categories (studio monitor vs FRFR) then I very much agree and think you will too.
I hear the MF-10s as a high quality hybrid between a true guitar cab and a studio monitor that perform incredibly well with the AFIII. Hard to put into words but if you get to a purchase of the MF-10's you'll likely see what I mean.
And yes they are expensive but worth every penny/cent IMO. Most definitely.

I have an A7X pair and a pair of MF 10's. With the same EQ from the AFIII they don't sound the same - that's probably very obvious.... It's possible to make them more similar but this is audibly a very different approach to a speaker solution. However if by "same audio quality" it's a comparison of competency in their respective design categories (studio monitor vs FRFR) then I very much agree and think you will too.
I hear the MF-10s as a high quality hybrid between a true guitar cab and a studio monitor that perform incredibly well with the AFIII. Hard to put into words but if you get to a purchase of the MF-10's you'll likely see what I mean.
And yes they are expensive but worth every penny/cent IMO. Most definitely.
great response, thanks a lot !
By "same audio quality" I mean a product, that is not hyped in any frequency.
I dunno, if A7X´s are hyped in any way, but compared to different studio monitors (a lot of time more expensive ones) I found, that the Adam´s are nicely even. I would love to have that in FRFR and be assured that I don´t have to do same frequency cuts in every patch.

Back
Top Bottom