Best PASSIVE FRFR? (Axe-Fest Attendees?)

I'm just moving from Guitar speakers to FRFR. I have a soundman mate who has stacks of gear and he let me try a pair of Martin F15 speakers.... amazing!! That's where I'm going.

Just picked up 2 of these to try for a week so far there sounding really good, powering them with my matrix gt800fx
There a lot smaller than I expected, which is a good thing

.:: VTC Pro Audio - C4 ::.

Attachments

• VCT lg_c4.jpg
    VCT lg_c4.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 32
I'm very interested in hearing how this works out for you, as VTC is one of the lines I carry. Do you have access to the C5 wedge also?

I was originally looking at the c5 but the weight was an issue as I have a bad back and wanted something lighter than my 95lb marshall.
Also I was looking for an all in one solution that could give me a Guitar rig, a Bass Rig, and a good vocal PA and the c4 's fit the bill.
I have onle about 1.5 hours on them so far but so far they are very loud and clear cleans sound fantastic and high gain is very tight and chuggy like my 4x12 but sounds alot better.
Need more time with it and Im not an expert so I only know what sounds good to me.so I apologize for my description
Also tried Bass through and it sounds excellent.

can you post a pic of yours (not the catalog) so we can see how it's hooked up and looks etc?
maybe a new player has just emerged in the arena of frfr ?

I've said it several times before in different ways, and I'll say it again................sometimes you have to quit looking at the giants in the room to find what you're looking for. So many folks here are SO focused on the high dollar floor monitors when a REALLY good alternative can be had for 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

If what you are looking for is a simple FRFR passive co-axial floor monitor that not only sounds great but is also budget friendly you simply aren't going to find a better choice than the Carvin TRx-12N.

Like any good speaker cabs they took a couple of weeks to break in, but after a month they have made me totally reverse my thinking about dumping the Axe-Fx..........because now it sounds like it's supposed to.

They are dead flat...........and I can play them at obscenely loud levels with no failures in either the bass or the treble ends, and they sound as they are advertised. In other words if you look at the frequency response graph on the Carvin website you will see they really are 'dead flat'.

Personally I'm so happy that I got two of these with 25' speakon cables 'delivered' for less than the cost of one of virtually ANY other floor monitors out there.

I know few if any will heed or even respond to this post but folks IMO that's your loss, not mine.

I was interested in the carvins but its about 1300 Canadian after shipping to Canada and taxes and if i dont like them i would lose the shipping and have to pay another 235 to ship them back.didnt want to take a chance.
The vct c4's are on sale for 999 each and i can try them before I buy them plus I can trade some other gear in towards the purchase.
Glad they worked out for you sounds like they are pretty awesome

I'm very interested in hearing how this works out for you, as VTC is one of the lines I carry. Do you have access to the C5 wedge also?

Hey Mike
Day 2 with the c4's and they are sounding better the more I play through them.
Had to do some tweaking but I was set up for conventional cabs, so it was to be expected.
They are so unbelievably loud, I had the axe fx on about 3 and the air was hitting my chest I really couldnt believe it and the sound was crystal clear.
I havent tried any other frfr speakers so I cant compare but they sound so much better than my dave mustaine 4x12 and mesa boogie recto 2 x12.

I've said it several times before in different ways, and I'll say it again................sometimes you have to quit looking at the giants in the room to find what you're looking for. So many folks here are SO focused on the high dollar floor monitors when a REALLY good alternative can be had for 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

If what you are looking for is a simple FRFR passive co-axial floor monitor that not only sounds great but is also budget friendly you simply aren't going to find a better choice than the Carvin TRx-12N.

Like any good speaker cabs they took a couple of weeks to break in, but after a month they have made me totally reverse my thinking about dumping the Axe-Fx..........because now it sounds like it's supposed to.

They are dead flat...........and I can play them at obscenely loud levels with no failures in either the bass or the treble ends, and they sound as they are advertised. In other words if you look at the frequency response graph on the Carvin website you will see they really are 'dead flat'.

Personally I'm so happy that I got two of these with 25' speakon cables 'delivered' for less than the cost of one of virtually ANY other floor monitors out there.

I know few if any will heed or even respond to this post but folks IMO that's your loss, not mine.

17x15x15?? these things are tiny LOL!
Carvin has a 10 day return policy so once the Fryette LXII is out and I have one , I may give these a go
the VCTc4's also look very interesting , anxious to hear more about those as BD breaks them in
the more options we have obviously the better.

Last edited:
Interested in trying the carvin also. I just checked their website and they have $100 off. Pretty cheap. Of course I will have to purchase a power amp.

17x15x15?? these things are tiny LOL!
Carvin has a 10 day return policy so once the Fryetter LXII is out and I have one , I may give these a go
Actually they're 14.5" x 15.5" x 19'5".
As for the ten day return policy it took longer than that to break them in, so they may not sound right to you in that short amount of time.

I should be able to tell if I absolutely hate them or not within the 10 days shouldn't I , dothey change drastiaclly as you break them in or is it moe of a subtle "good thing"

No it's not a drastic change, in fact it may have more to do with the fact that I was just getting used to FRFR as opposed to the Mesa Thiele cabs I had been using up until I got these. Either way to me they sound better now than when I first got them.

I also ran an acoustic through the rig last night.....WOW!

I've been curious about the Carvin's as well. From what I understand, the TRX use the Celestion coax driver (like Matrix, I think).

I'm currently putting together some Eminence BETA-12CX coax boxes -- I think when I have them built I'll pop up to the Carvin Hollywood store and maybe grab a TRX to compare.

Should be interesting. Thanks for bringing them up again.

TT

Back
Top Bottom