Best PASSIVE FRFR? (Axe-Fest Attendees?)

SOAWM

Inspired
Dear Fractal-Enthousiasts,

I'm finally mentally prepared to sell my 412 cab and embrace the FRFR-possibilites the Axe-Fx offers. I no longer see a advantage in lugging around a heavy 412 when I have the option to go direct. I've read about all the pro's and con's of going FRFR, but unfortunately there aren't many threads about passive FRFR-monitors. As I have already bought a Matrix GT1000FX for total freedom, so I don't feel like buying a expensive active wedge.

The RCF is beloved by everyone, but apparently they don't make a passive version. Any tips on which passive wedges are of the same quality? I've read a couple good things about the Matrix CFR12's, but in the most recent Axe-Fest FRFR thread some people said they weren't that impressed by them (compared to the other available monitors).

Any tips?

Many thanks in advance!

Didier

What's your intended usage? Personal monitor? Backline? How loud does it need to get? What style of music -- clean, jazz, rock, chugga-chugga or ...?

The only two passive systems we had as Axe-West were the JBL's (which sounded very good) and the Matrix CFR12, which to me had more of a British guitar speaker type quality (gee, I wonder why?:))

TT

Last edited:
Depends what you want i guess. from the Video (as much as you can tell) and the general comments, the Matrix cabs seem to be voiced like a real cab - so instead of getting a mic'd up sound you get what you would expect if the amp and cab (selected from the AFX) were behind you - not what you would get by micing it up and putting it through the PA. That may or may not be the intent, but thats how it comes across to me.

TBH though the JBLs are 3 times the price of the Matrix and they were the only direct competition. The other cabs that got great reviews were the RCFs at double the price and the EAWs at much more than that - both are active of course. Until the Atomic CLRs are available Im not sure what other decent quality passives are out there.

I have to agree about the CFR12's Then again they make a good point. Maybe a different cab model would sound better. I wish I could try some before buying :-\

I have to agree about the CFR12's Then again they make a good point. Maybe a different cab model would sound better. I wish I could try some before buying :-\

We have the return policy in place to make sure you can try the CFR12's for a decent period of time.
Please feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

My best regards
Matt

Thanks for the responses everyone! At the moment I'm actually thinking of buying an EV ELX112 for 315€ with padded cover. About a year ago the active version was pretty popular among Axe-FX users and I think this may be a very good starting point for going FRFR. It costs half the price of the Matrix CFR12 and I think that with some patience and EQ'ing you can get every 'decent' FRFR-monitor to sound good. If FRFR is nothing for me, I don't lose a lot of money and if I'm hopelessly in love with it, I can buy a second one without going bankrupt!

The powered ELX112 that was at Axe-West was certainly workable, no major sonic flaws.

You do need a certain level of quality that EQ just can't compensate for. For example, a scratchy/screechy/peaky horn will sound pretty obnoxious no matter what you do.

TT

Thanks TT!

Today was the first time our other guitar player brought his new Axe-FX to rehearsal and we experimented with going FRFR. We both connected our Axe to our Soundcraft mixing desk and mixed down 2 guitars and vocals. All our sounds went through 2 Mackie Thump TH15A's (around 350€). The sound was good, although I had to tweak my patches...

I was wondering whether the 315€ PASSIVE ELX112 would sound better (in combination with Matrix GT1000FX) than the Mackie's? I can imagine that the drivers and amp in the Mackies aren't as good?

The powered ELX112 that was at Axe-West was certainly workable, no major sonic flaws.

You do need a certain level of quality that EQ just can't compensate for. For example, a scratchy/screechy/peaky horn will sound pretty obnoxious no matter what you do.

TT

I think that with some patience and EQ'ing you can get every 'decent' FRFR-monitor to sound good.

Mhhh... I'll quote TT on this. This is an assumption you'd not make yourself a favour starting from. I'd say the opposite, the higher you go with price, the more the chances you come across a sound which will fall you in love.
IOW, deducing that FRFR is not for you after trying a cheap cab could be one very big mistake.
I'd suggest you to go to a store and try high-level stuff, even tho you can't afford it by now: it will serve as a reference point for judging budget one ;)

Mhhh... I'll quote TT on this. This is an assumption you'd not make yourself a favour starting from. I'd say the opposite, the higher you go with price, the more the chances you come across a sound which will fall you in love.
IOW, deducing that FRFR is not for you after trying a cheap cab could be one very big mistake.
I'd suggest you to go to a store and try high-level stuff, even tho you can't afford it by now: it will serve as a reference point for judging budget one ;)

Thanks for the tip. Since I need a passive monitor, I don't have that many choices. Would you think an EV ELX112 with Matrix GT1000FX would be an upgrade over the Mackie TH15A?

I was also wondering whether it would be really necessary to buy my own monitor as we have our two Mackies, which we can use for both guitars and vocals at our rehearsal place... On the other end, I still need something to produce sound as backline for when we gig at small venues without a decent PA-system. It would be useless to keep my V30 cab as it is too big and I can't get all the sounds I want out of it.

has somebody tested the dynacord cxm 15 ? looks very promissing.
Funny you mentioned this.
Yesterday I heard some Dynacord speakers.
So I checked out the Dynacord website and the CXM 15 looks like the only coaxial solution they offer.

at the moment i'm searching for a "semi" professional coax solution. my options so far:
this dynacord with my matrix or an active rcf sma. seeburg could be another option.

Here's another candidate:
TMW-115 Switchable passive/bi-amped floor monitor : Turbosound

Turbosound TMW 115
TMW-115-main.jpg

TMW 112
http://www.turbosound.com/docs/products/TMW-112.shtml
TMW-112_front_view-main.jpg

I'm just moving from Guitar speakers to FRFR. I have a soundman mate who has stacks of gear and he let me try a pair of Martin F15 speakers.... amazing!! That's where I'm going.

Back
Top Bottom