Best Parameter To Put Volume Pedal On

Tonemaster

Inspired
I did a search on this but it got kicked out because it was too general. I've seen that some folks put a pedal on the main output and some use gain or output on a mixer block. There may even be other variations/options. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these options? It seems that just throwing in on the main output would be easiest.

It depends on what effect you want from it. Putting it on the output means it's after amp/OD etc. That will mean the tone will remain the same but get higher/lower. I use it the opposite usually. I attach my pedal to a Vol block first in the chain. This way it is lowering/raising input into the amp block which simulates adjusting the volume on your guitar. Either way works fine, but very different results.

Volume block is most flexible. You can place it anywhere in the chain, it is easy/fast to program, and offers a variety of tapers (sweeps).

Before amp - alters the input to your amp block. Simulates guitar roll off or what a volume pedal would do at the front input of an amp. It will effect your tone. It may be a desirable thing.

After amp before reverb/delay - when you cut the volume delays and reverbs continue to fade out. Because it is after the amp, it won't effect you amp tone, just lower the volume.

After effects or at output - no effect on tone, just volume. If you cut the volume delay and reverb will cut off abruptly as well.

Using a mixer block is good when you are running parallel effects and want to mix them in w/ the main signal. You can use the Gain of each row to feed as much of each effect to the output.

I've yet to get my boss volume pedal FV-500L (which is linear) to feel even remotely like my Ernie ball while hooked up as a controller like it did in-band in front of the Axe (or a real amp).

With the controller its like ON or OFF (and I have tip and ring hooked up correctly--I can observe the linear sweep in the modifier screen as well as via the liquid foot LEDs).

If anyone has taper settings to get this close to feeling like an analog volume, I'd be very interested. I hate having to reach for my guitar volume knob.

Also, if anyone knows of replacement linear pots for the Boss FV-500L which don't have dead spots in the bottom heel and top toe, I'm also interested.

Perhaps I'm an idiot. I just looked at the specs on the 500L and the input/output jacks are still audio taper and its the stereo expression jack which is linear. I've been using a Y cable on the input/output jacks. I should give the expression pedal jack a shot and see how things fare. :mrgreen:

Thanks Sean...that's what I was looking for. I never thought of putting it after the amp and before the delay/verb. Also, I like the versatility of the volume block.

Couple of things ...

(as jj said above) I've been using a volume pedal post overdrive, pre-delay/reverb for probably 20+ years and find works best there as a master volume without killing delay and reverb trails. And the guitar volume is used as you normally would, to reduce drive in overdriven patches, so you get the best of both.

The Boss 500L - well built with both 10K LIN and stereo 20K LOG pots. I use the 10K LIN (via MIDI) to control a volume block. The volume block has about 4 different tapers you can select, so choose one of the log tapers when using a linear pot. Only mod I made is to the pedal - it has a large dead spot under the heel and a smaller one under the toe with the 10K pot (not sure about the 20K ones), so I put some thick rubber stoppers under both ends of the padal - works a treat!

Normally I use the volume block immediately after the amp block, conltrolled by midi cc pedal on my board. Then after that come my delay, verb etc. I like this the best, since it doesn't affect your basic tine, and still allows your reverb and delay to be unafftlected by quick volume pedal changes.

I still use my guitar volume knob as well, usually to clean up an amp.

Occasinally on some effecty or sytnthy patches I place the volume block elsewhere, depending on the patch and what I want to do w it.

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

rocketmorton52 said:
I just use the amp level output then you don't need a volume block...potentially saving you some cpu juice.
Last time I checked, volume block CPU was 0.9%. So yes, if it's your last 0.9% it matters. If not, I'd recommend a volume block to take advantage of the taper parameter if nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom