Best outputs to use for FOH???

I run Stereo from axe-fx to a Scarlett 18i20 to FOH. Im wondering which is the best output to use from axe-fx.

XLR, TS, or SPDIF? I'd love to be able to free up some I/O on my scarlett by going SPDIF but not sure if there is tonal quality loss...

thanks in advance.

If you're going direct to FOH, I would imagine the XLR outputs would be ideal. As long as everything is set up properly there shouldn't be any quality loss using any of the outputs. Certainly not anything you would notice in a live setting.

If you're going direct to FOH, I would imagine the XLR outputs would be ideal. As long as everything is set up properly there shouldn't be any quality loss using any of the outputs. Certainly not anything you would notice in a live setting.

thanks, i know XLR is typically best, just wondering if I could get away with running SPDIF to my scarlett and then from Scarlett XLR out to FOH.

I'm guessing the Scarlett is there so you can record your live performance? For recording purposes, I've used SPDIF and it sounded magnificent. Although I have never used it LIVE going to an interface then to FOH, I can't imagine it would be any worse than 1/4" or XLR. The final connection to FOH will be XLR anyway, but you'll eliminate an extra digital/analog/digital conversion step between the Axe and Scarlett by using SPDIF. I would say give SPDIF a try, and if it sounds bollox, you could just resume using XLR and be no worse off.

As long as the sample rate and clock are locked in, I would imagine that would be fine. I wouldn't expect the converters in the Scarlett to be any improvement over the ones in the Axe though. If the overall quality of your guitar sound is paramount, then I would probably use the XLRs in this setup. We're talking about very minor differences though.

I'm guessing the Scarlett is there so you can record your live performance? For recording purposes, I've used SPDIF and it sounded magnificent. Although I have never used it LIVE going to an interface then to FOH, I can't imagine it would be any worse than 1/4" or XLR. The final connection to FOH will be XLR anyway, but you'll eliminate an extra digital/analog/digital conversion step between the Axe and Scarlett by using SPDIF. I would say give SPDIF a try, and if it sounds bollox, you could just resume using XLR and be no worse off.

My thoughts exactly, in regards to skipping a step of digital to analog conversion. I think i'm gonna give it a try. We use the scarlett 18i20 bc I need the I/O options. Stereo Guitars, Stereo Backing tracks, Bass, VOX all go DI to FOH, and then of course I need MORE I/O for IEM system o_O I do record our live shows though, too via ableton. Scarlett helps with that.

@actionjackson12 try it and see if you can hear the difference.

Also, record both ways into a DAW. Either by recording simultaneously the XLR and S/PDIF outs of the Fractal or by using a looper.

Line up the tracks in the DAW and flip the polarity on one track and see if they cancel.

You have to use a looper or record both at once to make sure they are the exact same material.

Back
Top Bottom