Best new(ish) Guitar player I've ever seen.

Yeah. I listen to skilled guitar players some, because it's cool to hear, and to hear what's possible, but a lot of the music I listen to for pure pleasure is about the songs more than the playing, and when it's about the playing, it's about vibe, not virtuosity. Give me Electric Ladyland, Hold Your Fire, Kick, Meet The Beatles, over my favorite "guitar player" albums by EJ, AT, etc.

I have to agree. I used to really like Vai and Yngwie, Satch…although he can get bluesy at times. But I rarely listen to that kind of music anymore because it stopped moving me. Technical prowess by itself is fun for 10 minutes or so. I don’t see guitar playing as a contest where the fastest and most proficient player wins, with the judges holding up their score cards. Now, if I could play like that then I would do it all the time for sure. Each to his own but that stuff bores me. Give me a song every time, a memorable hook, a melody line that is slow enough to stick.

Boomer bends player! Lol. Is that thing? I can’t play super fast but I bend a lot. And I’m getting old. Hmmm. Not exactly sure what you mean but I might fit that.
Google boomer bends. I think it started on a Rick Beato episode with, don't remember, Polyphia I think maybe, some others too, and one of the guests brought it up, much to Rick's guilty amusement.

It's a thing now.

The other thing about technical ability is that to get there you have to play that stuff A Lot, and the exercises tend to become part of your repertoire, for better and worse. I literally never have extended 64th note triplet melodies in my head away from the guitar. Sometimes the idea of a musical gesture like that but nothing specific or memorable, or that's the seed of a song.

Hey, not a bad crowd! Thanks for sharing this.

I would love to be this kid's manager - give him some recommendations:
  • Your feet are not glued to the stage, feel free to walk around
  • Smiling is ok
  • Any facial expression is ok
  • Get a Fractal because the tone in that video is awful
  • Find a band and ditch the backing track

Google boomer bends. I think it started on a Rick Beato episode with, don't remember, Polyphia I think maybe, some others too, and one of the guests brought it up, much to Rick's guilty amusement.

It's a thing now.

Well I’ll be damned. It is a thing. Haha that shit will never go away as long as there are guitars. Bending strings is one of greatest things about guitars. And I had to look it up to confirm that I am indeed a boomer bender lol.

just because people express themselves and their art different than your preference doesn't make it less. some guys wanna be rock stars, some want to push guitar playing to new heights and have zero interest in writing a hit song. Both are cool, both are necessary.

I hadn't heard of either of these guys. I loved both of them, but Sergey Golovin really spoke to me; I just loved his feel in his playing. That dude is actually selling tabs of his songs on his bandcamp page. I mean, one of my favorite shredding performances is Memories by Joe Satriani on the Dreaming #11 EP; it's the live version, and all the technique is in service of the emotion; to me it's totally transcendent. No less so I'd name Altitudes by Jason Becker. I agree that shredding for shredding's sake is silly; just listen to the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album. I remember the solo on the second song was the most ridiculously funny thing I had heard, in a bad way. Then I think about Wings of The Storm by Whitesnake, with Steve Vai just absolutely crafting a masterpiece of a guitar solo; that's the stuff for me.

just because people express themselves and their art different than your preference doesn't make it less. some guys wanna be rock stars, some want to push guitar playing to new heights and have zero interest in writing a hit song. Both are cool, both are necessary.
I don't think it's a matter of about being less so much as it is about being redundant. There is no argument about his skill on the fretboard it's his lack of creativity and granted that will come with time.

The kid has so much potential to be an iconic player! regurgitating riffs that came from someone else to put yourself out there for the people that know just doesn't work. His soul is in there somewhere and it needs to be let out!

I don't think it's a matter of about being less so much as it is about being redundant. There is no argument about his skill on the fretboard it's his lack of creativity and granted that will come with time.

The kid has so much potential to be an iconic player! regurgitating riffs that came from someone else to put yourself out there for the people that know just doesn't work. His soul is in there somewhere and it needs to be let out!
but it's still preference...what is redundant to one is inspiring to another....

also the OP compared him to Guthrie....won't argue, but I hear so much early Greg Howe influence as well...

I understand your point, If he keeps playing the way he is he will never go anywhere! shred will only take you so far he needs to evolve to survive.

I think him not having a guitar face or not showing any facial expression while playing is actually part of his charm. Actually, he has a sense of humor if u watch his jtc videos.

I get that it might not be people’s cup of tea. But he’s out there getting more and more recognized and gaining fans while people here talking like they can do much better. Just appreciate it for what it is.

And the fact that he is not even 20 is pretty amazing when you consider the harmonic content of many phrases. He reminds me of Guthrie Govan although a fair way behind Guthrie's musicality. But he is about 12 so he has a bit of time to work on it.

Yeah, this kid is off the hook. I can't imagine what he'll be like in about ten years. He looks like a young Larry Coryell.

Back
Top Bottom