Best most compatible DAW for Axe-Fx/Edit 3?

mailbox103

Inspired
What would you fellow Axe Fx 3 consider to be best and most compatible DAW for Axe fx 3? I want to tone match and reamp with just a USB connection to PC. Tone matching from .wav files on PC and reamping via USB connection and dry track wav files.
Axe Fx 3 is a powerful unit but can't help mentioning that Axe Edit 3 + Reaper has got to be the most clumsy and frustrating experience when it comes to tone matching and reamping. Never wasted some much time trying to get something to work.
Have checked all over internet for help to no avail. All internet resources seem to be apples to oranges in terms of goals and DAW. Tried messing with ALL obvious possible issues but no luck. Axe FX 3 / Axe Edit 3 while a great piece of gear seems to be one of the most user unfriendly setups out there. Fractal really should produce detailed video tutorials that truly explain things so that users can use their Axe FX instead of pulling their hair out but doubt they'll do anything to help with that. So that leaves me with the question "What is best most compatible DAW for Axe FX 3 / Axe Edit 3"

Any daw will work.

What issues are you experiencing?

I have not re-amped, just record ideas in garageband - but that is apple specific.

AS Budda said, there are NO Fractal specific DAWS. They all will work.
Now as far as whats best? That is very difficult to answer.
What people use is usually the answer you will get. I'll start and say try Cakewalk by Bandlab-It is FREE.You just have to register with Bandlab then once installed you never hear from them again unless you want to or if there is an update. You do NOT have to be connected to the internet to use CWbyBL. Only to install or update it.
I am somewhat biased since I have been using Cakewalk since the year of the flood, well the late 80's anyway.
Did I mention it is free?

Specifically for reamping with the III; Reaper. It allows multichannel single tracks, letting you record the Axe stereo processed signal and raw pickup signal in the same media item (clip). This lets you easily edit with the Axe processed sound and have the raw pickup stay in sync without a need for grouping separate clips on separate tracks.

What would you fellow Axe Fx 3 consider to be best and most compatible DAW for Axe fx 3? I want to tone match and reamp with just a USB connection to PC. Tone matching from .wav files on PC and reamping via USB connection and dry track wav files.
Axe Fx 3 is a powerful unit but can't help mentioning that Axe Edit 3 + Reaper has got to be the most clumsy and frustrating experience when it comes to tone matching and reamping. Never wasted some much time trying to get something to work.
Have checked all over internet for help to no avail. All internet resources seem to be apples to oranges in terms of goals and DAW. Tried messing with ALL obvious possible issues but no luck. Axe FX 3 / Axe Edit 3 while a great piece of gear seems to be one of the most user unfriendly setups out there. Fractal really should produce detailed video tutorials that truly explain things so that users can use their Axe FX instead of pulling their hair out but doubt they'll do anything to help with that. So that leaves me with the question "What is best most compatible DAW for Axe FX 3 / Axe Edit 3"

I have been using Pro tools 12 and it works pretty well as far as transferring audio to/from the inputs and outputs. There is just a little bug whenever I try to use Axe Edit in a session it freezes all the MIDI and the audio starts glitching out. As long as I don't use axe-edit during a session it works perfectly however.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think my problems are IO or Asio. Using Asio4all. It's like hit or miss with tone match. Sometimes I can get reference.wav file to Axe and other times not. Then when I manage to get wav input into axe fx guitar input disappears. I'm using just USB connection. Frustrating part is it worked before but not consistently now. Window 10 with updated drivers etc. IDK what issue is exactly. You would think Axe FX / edit could make the process more straight forward or provide better instructions or tutorials. IDK. User error perhaps. Lol.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think my problems are IO or Asio. Using Asio4all. It's like hit or miss with tone match. Sometimes I can get reference.wav file to Axe and other times not. Then when I manage to get wav input in my life guitar input disappears. I'm using just USB connection. Frustrating part is it worked before but not consistently now. Window 10 with updated drivers etc. IDK what issue is exactly. You would think Axe FX / edit could make the process more straight forward or provide better instructions or tutorials. IDK. User error perhaps. Lol.

I'm not sure what Fractal could do to in the AxeFX to make the process more straightforward. You send audio in and you get audio out. AxeEdit doesn't really enter into the process. There are many AxeFX reamping tutorial videos on the interwebs to explain how to do it. But, from what you're saying, it sounds like you understand the process....you're just running into some technical glitches on your computer that are frustrating you. If you have specific questions though, I'm sure folks here would be happy to help. In any case, I don't think your choice of DAW will make much of a difference.

Ok. Thank you so much all for the help. I think my issues are IO and Asio. Probably get an additional interface like the Scarlett 2i2 and hopefully solves my IO issues.:D

Only problems I have ever had with any of it on the PC is some combination of Windows and the Axe USB drivers. It's really the only time I ever reboot my PC, but I frequently can't get audio beteween the PC to the Axe. I reboot, it works great, and then the next day or two later, I go to use it, no audio. Really frustrating. I never had a single problem when using my Macbook Pro, but it's a shitty experience on Windows. It's enough that a lot of nights I blow off playing because I'm in the middle of things, and don't want to reboot. When it works though, Cubase is great. I'll try Reaper one of these days.

Ok. Thank you so much all for the help. I think my issues are IO and Asio. Probably get an additional interface like the Scarlett 2i2 and hopefully solves my IO issues.:D

Judging by the obvious level of your understanding, I doubt your issue is "IO and Asio" related.

Back
Top Bottom