Best modeler for bass

You might also consider the FX8 for bass. It's a bit of a secret weapon in this category...
I really need to get one of those and give it a really good run. That'd be pretty nice for my bass pedal setup, where I don't need amp sim at all... Roland PK-5A -> MIDI processor (Motif XS most likely) -> FX8 sounds like a ridiculous awesome idea.

Yeah. I had an FX8 for a short bit of time, while I was waiting on my AX8. Another guy I was showing it to fell in love with it, so I gave him a heck of a deal on it, as I really wanted to have another local guy in the FAS family. It really is a good piece of gear, like everything else from Fractal.

Hi There I just came recently Fractal land mainly for guitar but I am currently gigging on bass as the band I am with is lead by a shit hot guitarist and I am having trouble dislodging him! HaHa.

If any of you guys have time to write a quick tutorial on how best to approach making great (mostly clean) bass patches that would be appreciated. I had a bit of a go but am a little clueless currently.

Cheers
ASG

Just straight up clean? That's super simple. Tone is the easy part... being a bass player (not a "guitarist who is playing bass"), not so easy.

Start with just one signal path. Compressor -> Amp -> Output. Done. I'd recommend a pedal compressor and the SV Bass model to start. You can add a 2nd path that is basically a direct line (maybe some slight compression of its own) as well, in parallel to the first.

Just straight up clean? That's super simple. Tone is the easy part... being a bass player (not a "guitarist who is playing bass"), not so easy.

Start with just one signal path. Compressor -> Amp -> Output. Done. I'd recommend a pedal compressor and the SV Bass model to start. You can add a 2nd path that is basically a direct line (maybe some slight compression of its own) as well, in parallel to the first.

I am curious as to the pedal compressor part of the recommendation, I am a guitar player with an Axe XL who is also converting to bass (on the side) so have been browsing these threads. Is there something that makes an external compressor preferable in this situation?

By "pedal compressor", I meant you don't need to use the Studio Compressor in the Axe-Fx (saves CPU). I like a lot of external compressors better than the ones in the Axe-Fx II/AX8 for bass (The Darkglass Super Symmetry is really, really hard to beat), but I rarely carry them to shows.

I prefer the coloration the pedal comps add compared to the studio one as well, but my go to is still the aguilar tlc whenever it's convenient

Before I hurt my shoulder, I used to play bass and used my Axe-Fx II. I used 2 rows on the grid. One row was for low end and the other for high end and I would either use a drive or amp block to add a little grit. I also used the Multiband Comp to get consistent low end.

Back
Top Bottom