Best Midi for Axe fx II under 400

bmullet00

Hey guys, Im buying my axe fx II soon and I trust you guys more than I trust myself because of my lack of experience with the Axe, so, what would be the best Midi board with expression pedals under 400 be?

Not sure about one with a pedal attached but a stand alone board a lot of people like the Behringer or maybe a Ground control pro might work well.

I have an old pod hd 500 as a controller (since I'm coming from the pod) and it has one exp pedal. But honestly, if I were you, I would just save up a bit more and just get the MFC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Behringer FCB1010 is a perennial choice for spare change even after the firmware mods. A used HD500 also represents fantastic value for money even as a controller - and then you get a backup modeler out of the deal too.

FCB1010 with Uno mod. I moved from it to the BJ Devices TB12. The only thing about the TB12 is that it doesn't have expressions pedals.

The 'best' depends on the use you are going to have for it. Do you need it to switch scenes? Act as a stomp board? Do you need tuner integration? How about looper function?

I'd defo recommend saving for the MFC101. I started out with the Behringer as it was a lot cheaper. But I found it irritating to use compared to the MFC101. I love that the MFC tracks pedal states without midi programming. I love that it doesn't need to be programmed at all, edit a preset, add new fx to a preset, change the default state of the fx, it works it's way through to the MFC. It's just a much nicer experience in general and I don't think other controllers can compete with it for AxeFX use.

Last edited:
FCB1010 with Uno mod + software represents fantastic value for money. I've only run into one thing I wanted to do with it but couldn't - and that was for controlling something other than the AFX.

FCB1010 with Uno mod + software represents fantastic value for money. I've only run into one thing I wanted to do with it but couldn't - and that was for controlling something other than the AFX.

I am curios what it would not control midi wise? I control my axe, transport functions in my Daw, and transport of some prerecorded loops in a keyboard all at the same time with my fcb with no mods!

I love my SoftStep. I prioritize weight and versatility over everything else, I haven't seen anything else that packs so much power into something so little (as far as floor controllers are concerned)

Ground control pro used or new (new = 400$).
Also Rockton MIDIRIDER is good.
Both can do scenes, just need to program.
I have long time experience with the GCP, very reliable and great costumer support.

I bought a used first gen MFC101 and a pair of Behringer FCV100 pedals for around $450 all said and done. Now I had to do some small mods to the pedals to decrease the travel on the pedals so that they weren't so long and I made all of my own cables so there was probably another $50 saved there, but as someone who was (and still is) a big fan of the FCB1010 I couldn't be paid to go back at this point.

Here's a link to the mods for the pedals. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/85004-fcv100-expression-pedal-tweaks.html

I have since bought another one, did the same thing and bolted them together with a bracket on the bottom. They are fantastic after modding them in my opinion.

I've tried most of them and was far happier when I finally just saved up a bit more and got a used MFC, you can get earlier versions for around $600

Then you can add your own EXP pedals, such as as Mission (spring loaded is awesome) for a shorter travel, traditional wah feeling, and plenty of other options (used EB volume pedals with a pot replacement work great and are super cheap)

The MFC works so seamlessly with the Axe, and the Axe cost so much, I think its really worth a few hundred bucks more to get the best experience possible from it, not to mention how its essentially plug n play

I have an old pod hd 500 as a controller (since I'm coming from the pod) and it has one exp pedal. But honestly, if I were you, I would just save up a bit more and just get the MFC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I totally agree with JohnieeJiuceboxx.

I used the Roland FC-300 for almost a year with my Axe-Fx II. It works well and you can find them on eBay for $175. It has 2 expression pedals and nine switches and its built like a tank. If you take the time to program it and understand the MIDI interaction with the Axe-Fx then its pretty good. However, the MFC-101 is designed specifically for use with the Axe-Fx and it has preconfigured modes for the effect blocks and the looper without you having to do anything. And the MFC-101 doesn't need a power supply when performing - it can draw its power from the Axe-Fx. Its just a simpler and low aggravation solution. Save up and buy the MFC-101.

I am curios what it would not control midi wise? I control my axe, transport functions in my Daw, and transport of some prerecorded loops in a keyboard all at the same time with my fcb with no mods!

It won't output MIDI pitch bend data from the expression pedals, only CCs.

This isn't an issue with the AFX but could be if you want to use it to control synth gear as well. I just got a mission pedal for that though and I have to say it feels 1000 times better than the pedals on the FCB. Still a big fan of the FCB for the money - it's way good enough for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom