Best method for boosting lead guitar bits without altering tone?

Hello, I've been using a scene controller to increase the amp volume on my presets for leads/solos, but I find that it alters the tone when increasing the volume on the amp, so I was wondering if there was another way or a more traditional way of increasing the volume, or providing a boost? I'd love to hear some opinions or if there are tutorials explaining this, please share. Thanks!

After, otherwise you’ll drive the amp harder, and get a different sound.

Actually I’d use a mid boost around 500Hz rather than a flat boost, because it’s the mid frequencies you need to emphasise.

Hello, I've been using a scene controller to increase the amp volume on my presets for leads/solos, but I find that it alters the tone when increasing the volume on the amp, so I was wondering if there was another way or a more traditional way of increasing the volume, or providing a boost? I'd love to hear some opinions or if there are tutorials explaining this, please share. Thanks!
You're changing the Amp Level or Master Volume? The former should have NO effect that any other mentioned method would have, as it's a pure volume control.

MV on the other hand will...

I’ve found that i like increasing/decreasing the input trim on some amps, and have also tried the null filter boost method too. I’m gigging both tonight to see what works best. Thanks for the all the input! If there are other ways, please feel free to share!

I’ve found that i like increasing/decreasing the input trim on some amps, and have also tried the null filter boost method too. I’m gigging both tonight to see what works best. Thanks for the all the input! If there are other ways, please feel free to share!
Changing the Input Trim will most likely affect the amp more than the overall level. You're increasing the input signal into the amp.

There are literally dozens of ways to do this using scenes. There are 'pros' and 'cons' to all of them.

Here are a few examples...
  1. The scene level sliders in the Output block.

Pros... It's what they are there for. No tone change. Doesn't add to the CPU% load. Easy to grasp.

Cons.. Since it's at the very end of the signal chain, Any Delay/Reverb tails will also jump up or down in volume with scene changes.

2. A dedicate 'Boost' block (Filter, PEQ, GEQ, Vol/Pan, etc...) placed after Amp/Cab, but before any Delay/Reverb block (to preserve unaltered tails)

Pros... The ability to also manipulate EQ for the Solo tone, if desired (mid boost, roll of some lows and/or highs, except the Vol/Pan block of coarse). You can use the 'Global Blocks' feature (Axe-Fx II/III) to modify this 'Boost' block in all presets that it exists in very easily, super handy at sound-check. You get two different ones via 'X/Y', or four, via 'Channels' (Axe-Fx III). You can also manually switch them on/off, at will, from your pedal board.

Cons.. You have to add the block to each preset. And link them if using 'Global Blocks' (Axe-Fx II/III).

3. Scene Controllers (or Control Switches) attached to the 'Level' parameter in the Amp or Cab block.

Pros... No tone change. You can adjust the 'Damp' parameter in the 'Edit Modifier' window to gradually 'morph' to the new volume. You can assign multiple other parameters, in multiple blocks, in conjunction, to the same scene controller (all with their own 'Edit Modifier' window settings). For example... increase Reverb/Delay Levels or Feedback, add more 'dirt', etc... All completely seamless! You can also manually switch Control Switches on/off, at will, from your pedal board (if assigned).

Cons.. Harder to grasp and setup.

Last edited:
There are literally dozens of ways to do this using scenes. There are 'pros' and 'cons' to all of them.

Pros... It's what they are there for. No tone change. Doesn't add to the CPU% load. Easy to grasp.

Cons.. Since it's at the very end of the signal chain, Any Delay/Reverb tails will also jump up or down in volume with scene changes.

2. A dedicate 'Boost' block (Filter, PEQ, GEQ, Vol/Pan, etc...) placed after Amp/Cab, but before any Delay/Reverb block (to preserve unaltered tails)

Pros... The ability to also manipulate EQ for the Solo tone, if desired (mid boost, roll of some lows and/or highs, except the Vol/Pan block of coarse). You can use the 'Global Blocks' feature (Axe-Fx II/III) to modify this 'Boost' block in all presets that it exists in very easily, super handy at sound-check. You get two different ones via 'X/Y'. You can also manually switch them on/off, at will, from your pedal board.

Cons.. You have to add the block to each preset. And link them if using 'Global Blocks' (Axe-Fx II/III).

3. Scene Controllers attached to the 'Level' parameter in the Amp or Cab block.

Pros... No tone change. You can adjust the 'Damp' parameter in the 'Edit Modifier' window to gradually 'morph' to the new volume. You can assign multiple other parameters, in multiple blocks, in conjunction, to the same scene controller (all with their own 'Edit Modifier' window settings). For example... increase Reverb/Delay Levels or Feedback, add more 'dirt', etc... All completely seamless!

Rock on wit yo bad sef!!!!

Pros... The ability to also manipulate EQ for the Solo tone, if desired (mid boost, roll of some lows and/or highs, except the Vol/Pan block of coarse). You can use the 'Global Blocks' feature (Axe-Fx II/III) to modify this 'Boost' block in all presets that it exists in very easily, super handy at sound-check. You get two different ones via 'X/Y'. You can also manually switch them on/off, at will, from your pedal board.

3. Scene Controllers attached to the 'Level' parameter in the Amp or Cab block.

Pros... No tone change. You can adjust the 'Damp' parameter in the 'Edit Modifier' window to gradually 'morph' to the new volume. You can assign multiple other parameters, in multiple blocks, in conjunction, to the same scene controller (all with their own 'Edit Modifier' window settings). For example... increase Reverb/Delay Levels or Feedback, add more 'dirt', etc... All completely seamless!

Thanks !

There are literally dozens of ways to do this using scenes. There are 'pros' and 'cons' to all of them.....

Scene Controllers (or Control Switches) attached to the 'Level' parameter in the Amp or Cab block.

Pros... No tone change......

Lordy, was that ever the truth in my case!

You can adjust the 'Damp' parameter in the 'Edit Modifier' window to gradually 'morph' to the new volume.

I always put a scene controller on the cab block, but this part never occurred to me. I think it may be useful in some cases. Thanks Moke!

I like the Filter block method, controlling the blocks main level. However I also do this in parts of songs where I want to have just that slight volume bump but I use peaking on 1000Hz with the Q set low so it boosts like a frown face, controlling that sections gain and not the blocks level. That way it doesn't boost the low's and high's just gives you that extra bit of cut. And yes after Amp and Cab.

5 dB null filter boost has worked great for me. Was very happy with how it cut through during a show. I pair this with a drive block and a delay block that all engage as part of my lead scene.

Back
Top Bottom