Best MacBook for Axe 3 and Protools?

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello, I’m buying a MacBook and looking for recommendations on which one to get, either used previous generations or new. I will be using it for recording overdubs and editing in Protools at home. So there won’t be a lot of inputs for now.

One disadvantage I see to the new MacBooks is the lack of a USB A port, with the Axe 3 using that connector for it’s USB interface. I will already be spending a lot of money, so of course I don’t want to buy an adapter/dongle if I can avoid it by buying a previous generation MacBook that has USB A ports.

But, that being said, are there any substantial advantages to the new MacBooks with USB C/Thunderbolt connections for use with Protools, other than data speed and future gear comparability?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience making this choice!

I have a MacBook Pro with USB - C / Thunderbolt 3, and it's fantastic. Yes, I do need to use an adaptor dock for USB - A peripherals, but that is a pretty minor thing. At home I have a Kensington dock with a bunch of connectors on it, and it just plugs into a single USB - C port on the Mac. On the road, I carry an inexpensive adaptor dongle with me at all times; it cost me about ten dollars and has multiple USB - A ports, plus HDMI and RJ45.. The performance of a more recent MacBook would make it worth the investment. Also, I do recommend the SSD / Flash drive version versus a regular HD. External HDs with USB - C are very affordable, and with the Thunderbolt transfer speeds, you'll have the ability to maintain your audio files in a repo that isn't on the laptop itself.

Just so you know they still work, I have a 2009 MacBook Pro that’s dedicated to the Axe-FX III and playing backing surround tracks, MIDI and synth plugins for live performance. I’ve switched the drive to an SSD, and patched it so it’s actually running Catalina – though as far as Apple is concerned, it was EOL with Sierra. It’s surprisingly peppy!

I have Logic Pro and Digital Performer installed, but except for recording guitar tracks, they’re for playback; all non-guitar production work takes place with my studio desktop. (The MacBook is in my living room, where I have more elbow room to play guitar.) I put the performance tracks on an external SSD in a Firewire 800 (!) housing from OWC; the Axe-FX gets the USB port.

Mine’s older than you’d like if you wanted to actually do production work with ProTools, but it goes to show you can still get a lot done with a less-than-current Mac.

Last edited:
Just so you know they still work, I have a 2009 MacBook Pro that’s dedicated to the Axe-FX III and playing backing surround tracks, MIDI and synth plugins for live performance. I’ve switched the drive to an SSD, and patched it so it’s actually running Catalina – though as far as Apple is concerned, it was EOL with High Sierra. It’s surprisingly peppy!
How did you patch it to run Catalina? I have a mid 2010 iMac that would be great if I could get Catalina running on it.

Isn't the USB side that plugs into the computer usb-B?

I imagine any higher spec 2014 or newer macbook pro shouldn't have an issue.

How did you patch it to run Catalina? I have a mid 2010 iMac that would be great if I could get Catalina running on it.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Dosdude1’s earlier patches took some real seat-of-the-pants hacking, but the latest are refined to the point where things are much, much easier. Just be very sure that:

* your particular Mac is on the list of patchable Macs, and

* you’ve studied the process thoroughly, and have access to a printout of all docs if the Mac you’re patching is your only computer.

* backup first!

Study the docs for the earlier versions, too – they have a lot of useful info. http://dosdude1.com/software.html

If you’re successful, your Mac will scroll a bunch of raw code before the regular boot begins; it looks very cool. Amaze your friends … you’re Elliot Alderson! (Of course, Elliot would be running Linux, but you get the idea.)

30E4D0D5-633E-4BEF-9321-0B8738753547.jpeg

Last edited:
http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Dosdude1’s earlier patches took some real seat-of-the-pants hacking, but the latest are refined to the point where things are much, much easier. Just be very sure that:

* your particular Mac is on the list of patchable Macs, and

* you’ve studied the process thoroughly, and have access to a printout of all docs if the Mac you’re patching is your only computer.

* backup first!
Thanks! I would definitely back up plus I would put Catalina on an unused partition.

I have a MacBook Pro with USB - C / Thunderbolt 3, and it's fantastic. Yes, I do need to use an adaptor dock for USB - A peripherals, but that is a pretty minor thing. At home I have a Kensington dock with a bunch of connectors on it, and it just plugs into a single USB - C port on the Mac. On the road, I carry an inexpensive adaptor dongle with me at all times; it cost me about ten dollars and has multiple USB - A ports, plus HDMI and RJ45.. The performance of a more recent MacBook would make it worth the investment. Also, I do recommend the SSD / Flash drive version versus a regular HD. External HDs with USB - C are very affordable, and with the Thunderbolt transfer speeds, you'll have the ability to maintain your audio files in a repo that isn't on the laptop itself.

Thank you Sleestack for the good info, glad to know the dongles are not expensive. Sometimes they are...

Isn't the USB side that plugs into the computer usb-B?

I imagine any higher spec 2014 or newer macbook pro shouldn't have an issue.

Yes, Axe side is USB B, the issue is whether a hub/dongle adapter is expensive, apparently it’s not, and whether the thunderbolt/USB C data speed and forward compatibility is worth the extra money...

Why not just use a USB C to USB B cable to conect the AXE to the Macbook Pro, its what I do and have no connectivity problems. I do not connect the AXE via a Hub, my Hub is used for power via USB C/Monitor, Cubase dongle and external time machine drive..

Last edited:
Why not just use a USB C to USB B cable to conect the AXE to the Macbook Pro, its what I do and have no connectivity problems. I do not connect the AXE via a Hub, my Hub is used for power via USB C/Monitor, Cubase dongle and external time machine drive..

Didn’t know an adapter cable existed, thanks! I just assume all dongles are expensive and adapter cables are usually not technically feasible because standards change so drastically.

Since you mentioned you might be interested in a used one, I run PT on a 9,1 4 core i7. I like it because it has firewire, thunderbolt, kensington lock slot, optical drive, audio in/out, magsafe, USB-B, replaceable battery, etc. I replaced the drive with an SSD. I actually have 2 of them, one as a backup :).

On my newer macs, I have my dongle and my AxeFX both going through an adapter for USB-C, and that works fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom