Best low weight live solutions for Axe FX?

So far it has been great,I have not A/B'd with the high end stuff but at GC i did compare it to other pa speakers.JBL,Mackie etc.Yes it is not true FRFR but thats ok,neither is the venue pa system.A little eq when needed and it sounds good.Again most of the time I run direct FOH but all my tones are crafted through the EV.Like any plastic or composite shell speaker they hold up good as long as you don't drop them or really beat on them.

I haven't heard the ZLXs but I tried several powered P/A cabs before getting my XiTone and found them to sound fine from a distance but a bit harsh on top with a narrow sweet-spot at stage distance. This makes sense as P/A cabs are designed for "throw" as apposed to "spread" and horns tend to sound more harsh up close due to reflections off the horn walls.

I programmed my presets on JBL and KRK monitors and they sound great through the XiTone, without any tweaking. The XiTone also has a much wider and sweeter, sweet-spot (close up) than any of the P/A cabs I tried. The XiTone (Open-Back) also imparts just enough of that guitar cab vibe to make it "feel" more familiar and guitar-amp-like.

John is absolutely right, no cabinet is completely flat. Both of my sets of studio monitors are supposed to be "neutral" yet they sound quite different from each other. Just like mastering an album, the best you can hope for is to sound good on a variety of devices, in this case, your stage cab and the P/A system.

Bottom line for me, I'm very happy with my sound on stage and through the P/A when I step out front.

I haven't heard the ZLXs but I tried several powered P/A cabs before getting my XiTone and found them to sound fine from a distance but a bit harsh on top with a narrow sweet-spot at stage distance. This makes sense as P/A cabs are designed for "throw" as apposed to "spread" and horns tend to sound more harsh up close due to reflections off the horn walls.

I programmed my presets on JBL and KRK monitors and they sound great through the XiTone, without any tweaking. The XiTone also has a much wider and sweeter, sweet-spot (close up) than any of the P/A cabs I tried. The XiTone (Open-Back) also imparts just enough of that guitar cab vibe to make it "feel" more familiar and guitar-amp-like.

John is absolutely right, no cabinet is completely flat. Both of my sets of studio monitors are supposed to be "neutral" yet they sound quite different from each other. Just like mastering an album, the best you can hope for is to sound good on a variety of devices, in this case, your stage cab and the P/A system.

Bottom line for me, I'm very happy with my sound on stage and through the P/A when I step out front.

Thanks! So you're using the MBritt cab, right? Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost over the powered wedge. Likely going with the wedge because it's lighter, unless there's a good reason to take the MBritt instead.

All I got to say is stay tuned... smaller and lighter open backed cab pics and details coming soon... very soon!

Well color me excited! Sounds like this one could be perfect for me. Probably going to pull the trigger on one of your powered cabs by the end of next month so hopefully it's coming out by then.

Thanks! So you're using the MBritt cab, right? Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost over the powered wedge. Likely going with the wedge because it's lighter, unless there's a good reason to take the MBritt instead.
Actually mine is a pre-MBritt version with slightly different cab dimensions and back opening(s). Mick recently updated the amp processing so it probably sounds pretty similar to the current Britt. Great sounding cab, if you like open-back.

From comparisons I've read, the wedge has tighter low-end but lacks that open-back 3-D thing (from boundary reflections). The high-gain players tend to prefer the wedge but I use some pretty high-gain (non-scooped) presets and have never found the low-end flabby, in the least. I assume that the wedge would be closer to what you're used to with the Rectos but you might find that you dig the airy vibe of the open-back.

I've never found the weight objectionable. With that big comfy handle, it's way easier to move than the Brown-Note 1-12" combo I was lugging around before going AX8/XiTone.

Someone mentioned that Mick was experimenting with an open-back with a removable opening cover so you could go either way. Is that still an option, Mick?

Ship ship ship! I have a set of EV ZLX 12P They sound real good. I have been doing my tweaking through headphones. Then when i get the chance I use the EV ZLX's with An 18" sub to see if what I've done in the headphones translates to that PA setup, which it does great. Today I had the opportunity to set everything up with my power amp and 412 mesa setup and A/B between amp cab setup and PA. Im wanting to leave the cab sims on and run it through my live rig. I figured out today to use an EQ filter and loop to send to my real amp to kind of take away what the cab simulator does. (Before anyone says put the FX Loop before the cab, just don't) :mad: Where do I apply the squeaky wheel grease?

I'm still old school....I use a QSC K12 behind me and what ever monitor the sound guy has and Stereo to FOH...all has sounded and worked awesome thus far,,,I have givin thought to buying a more expensive rig for on stage and then I started thinking if I use PA type speakers up on stage that should be just about what people hear out front provided the sound person doesn't mess with EQ to much....made more sense to me ...cause you really can't hear FOH freq's from the stage IMHO...

Last edited:
I'm still old school....I use a QSC K12 behind me and what ever monitor the sound guy has and Stereo to FOH...all has sounded and worked awesome thus far,,,I have givin thought to buying a more expensive rig for on stage and then I started thinking if I use PA type speakers up on stage that should be just about what people hear out front provided the sound person doesn't mess with EQ to much....made more sense to me ...cause you really can't hear FOH freq's from the stage IMHO...

That was my original plan and it makes perfect sense. Our P/A uses Yamaha DSR115s and subs (great sounding speakers)! I bought a DSR112 to use for my guitar rig but it didn't work for me (for the previously stated reasons). Maybe if we played larger stages regularly, where I could get more distance from the cab...

The XiTone just instantly "felt" more open and gtr-amp-like while still remaining true to my presets. Aren't the K12s about the same price as a XiTone wedge?

Regardless, the K12 is a fine sounding cabinet (tested a pair when we bought our P/A) if QSC is working for you, ROCK ON! :)

That was my original plan and it makes perfect sense. Our P/A uses Yamaha DSR115s and subs (great sounding speakers)! I bought a DSR112 to use for my guitar rig but it didn't work for me (for the previously stated reasons). Maybe if we played larger stages regularly, where I could get more distance from the cab...

The XiTone just instantly "felt" more open and gtr-amp-like while still remaining true to my presets. Aren't the K12s about the same price as a XiTone wedge?

Regardless, the K12 is a fine sounding cabinet (tested a pair when we bought our P/A) if QSC is working for you, ROCK ON! :)
I'll have to look in on the XiTone...I got a great deal on the K12...Xitone is more money...and outside the US I believe..seems like an ordeal to me..........:eek:

Last edited:
So... Anyone who had a chance to test the new power amps by Seymour Duncan? I'm curious as it seems they are supposedly designed with the modelling gear in mind.

We're all IEM's so I go direct.. MFC to change patches, OUT1 to snake - one leg to FOH w/ split to monitor console connected to a router.
Run our own mixes via wireless off iDevice(s) and Android.
Can't get much lighter than that.
3-slot case, occupied by Senn D1 and Axe Fx XL.
Load whole rig in one load..

Phrase ambiguity. XiTone is based in NC, so I'm guessing it's easy to calculate and publish a flat shipping rate to the lower 48.

oh that ambiguity shipping to USA threw me off some...lol thanks for the insight....I 'll have to drive down there from VA....and check those puppies out...................

Last edited:
Matrix FR12. Powered and super lightweight. Sounds great. I had my AX8 in a mono backpack, two guitars in a mono dual case, and this speaker. Car to gig in one trip!

I also have the NL212 which is even lighter! But, you need a power amp.

Recently got a powered Xitone open-back cab, but i haven't had time to try it out. I should do that over the weekend!

Matrix FR12. Powered and super lightweight. Sounds great. I had my AX8 in a mono backpack, two guitars in a mono dual case, and this speaker. Car to gig in one trip!

I also have the NL212 which is even lighter! But, you need a power amp.

Recently got a powered Xitone open-back cab, but i haven't had time to try it out. I should do that over the weekend!

Wow, now that's delayed gratification! Let us know how you like it compared to the FR12 and NL212.

I just ordered a XiTone 1-12 wedge (Walliman) with a salt & pepper grill to match my Open-Back. Looking forward to having an option to run in stereo.

Unlike many builders, Mick's very open to custom work.

Did I mention how much I've been enjoying my XiTone Open-Back? :)

Thinking about using a couple of fr12 as studio monitors. I currently use a pair of the smallest of genelecs series 1020 with a sub bas. Could they give me a better sound? What about low frequencies, are they good in the low frequency range?

Back
Top Bottom