Best Low watt amp model to build 'do it all' preset by altering guitar volume knob

The FRIEDMAN SM BOX is one of my favorites for doing the clean to crunch with just the guitars volume thing, also can never go wrong with the JTM45 model. Others I quite like...

BLANKSHP LEEDS -- (boutique 18 watt marshall clone) crank the input drive and treble to taste and use the guitars volume to control gain
NUCLEAR-TONE -- do yourself a favor and try the bias trem on the power amp page with this one
MR Z-38 -- works great with a drive in front to get it singing
AC-20 -- 12AX7 and lower input drive for cleans, EF86 and more drive for some added grit
DWEEZIL'S B-MAN
EURO BLUE -- a scene controller to increase input drive or input trim on this one can give you a lot of clean to edge of breakup to crunch to lead, (I always crank up the presence on this model)

I'll also put in a +1 on the Supro and the Komet 60

Try the "Buttery" amp model and put a controller on the saturation switch to kick in the extra gain if you need more than the guitars volume knob gives you.

It is a very versatile model for sure.

For P&W at church I use the Boutique 2 mainly it's dialed in for a good Mid-Gain breakup and Boutique 1 for my warm cleans. The other day I was having a switching issue and had to roll through sound check with out being able to change anything. I was amazed how much I could do with my volume knobs/toggle switches on my 1960 LP standard tribute with BurstBuckers.

I have lately grown to absolutely LOVE the Brit Silver amp, with a std marshal cab. I played around with the amp last summer, as I had a stand in gig with a local rock band, and needed something crunchy to match their other guitar players vintage fetish. Since then I have used it for everything, and am almost over my FAS Modern dedication.

I do agree, as other users have hinted in this forum, that many of the amp sound rather similar. But when I've tried to dial in a somewhat similar tone on other amps, (if you use the same cab many of the amps can sound VERY similar), i always end up liking the Brit Silver the most, as this reacts the best to my playing, and when I play around with the guitars vol- and tone pots. I always set the amp somewhat clean, and especially the fuzz face and 808 sounds awesone on this amp. Just remember to use no noise gate and have the master vol at 10 at all times and you're golden :)

+1 on the Plexi. I play the 100 watt, and it is my favorite amp. (That said, they are all good, and I have fun with about 20 different models... I could do more but just don't have the time).
I play everything from ultra clean for funk (I play in a funk/R&B band) to severe overdrive (I also play in a dance cover band and do everything from Van Halen, Green Day, Journey etc.) I can do it all with a Plexi and a drive pedal.

Best advice on this forum (from everyone, including Cliff). Pay no mind to what the grid says, the amp model names, or the dial positions. Use your EARS. It's only what you hear that matters.

Well today I built a preset on the Divided by 13 CJ 11 amp model. I matched it to the matching F084 1x12 emulation. Null mic in cab block and plenty of ROOM added, about 25%. It is in my opinion the best so far in my quest for a 'one does all' gigging preset where I alter the sound from the guitar volume pot only. Just a lovely amp, I think it sounds better than other patches I have created in Axe edit but I haven't got round to testing all the suggestions you guys have advised me on but I will and my new fav preset could change ha!.

I sometimes do a solo gig and use a Variax Standard modeller guitar for acoustic and electric sounds. I am building the presets using this guitar's own Alnico V single coils with all the modelling switched off.
The variax is a strat type guitar based on the Pacifica with alder body, bolt on flat "C"-profile maple neck with rosewood fretboard,.

I have three versions of the patch:
a) 13 CJ 11 with no boost
b) the same with the boost switch in axe edit on
c) and the 13 CJ 11 Boost model with the 'boost' switch in axe edit OFF.

These all sound slightly different and I will pick my favourite 2 and X/Y them into two scenes.
The preset sounds beautiful pure lush velvet breakup especially on neck, neck and middle out of phase combination and the middle pickup positions but sound good on the other two switch positions too on strat type. When I test it with my Fender strat plus with Kinman woodstock pickus I will put the patch up on axe xchange.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom