• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Best Low Volume FRFR

jw3571

Inspired
Basement only player here, i'm going to purchase an axe and am looking for the best frfr solution for me. I used to have an axe and used HS80's in a different house. They seemed almost overkill as i could barely turn them up. With that being said, I am considering getting them again as they are a good value. I was also considering the HS5's. However, if Adam ax7, or ax5's would be a better option for lower volumes i could go with those. Thoughts and opinions?

hochha

Inspired
The monitors you use are the biggest part of your sound, spend the most on them. Equal to the AxeFx if you can. I run AxeFx to Apogee ensemble to HR824s, great for low volume performance. I also use various tube and SS amps with various cabs for nearfield monitoring.

hochha

Inspired
Stereo monitors are excellent FRFR speakers but like everything else you get what you pay for. Bearfoot near fields are tasty but expensive.

jw3571

Inspired
So i'm guessing the Adams would really be that much better than the HS8? How about the Equators, how do they compare?

redbud

Inspired
I am stoked with my presonus scepter s6 for guitar. However I do prefer my 2 thiele cabs loaded with evm12s and a good power amp. Even at low volume.

Hotplate

Power User
So i'm guessing the Adams would really be that much better than the HS8? How about the Equators, how do they compare?
Just my opinion.. and I haven't played the Equators.. have played through the Adams and HS8. I would say that the room in which you're playing and the listening position and any room acoustic treatment will play a bigger role than the actual differences between these models you're asking about. If you're restricted to playing at low volume all the time, then I would go for whatever monitors best fit your budget and then really work on dialing in your tone and EQ at those low listening levels. If you start upping the volume and pushing any of these monitors, then I think the difference may become more apparent. I prefer something larger, like the CLRs, because I tend to play w/ a fair amount of volume when using the Axe FX.

jw3571

Inspired
I looked at the Presonus, they seem a good option as well. They have have a lot of power, how do they work for lower volume?

Sixstring

Axe-Master
I think any studio monitor is going to be good for a low volume application because that what they are designed for. The majority of them aren't even specd. to produce SPL above 100 db which is loud but that's what the volume knob is for. FM and EQ are going to be a bigger issue for you no matter what studio monitor you chose.

jw3571

Inspired
In one of these threads someone said you can hook up a mixer to play music through them? How does that work? You can't listen to music and the Axe at the same time can you?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
My Adam P11A monitors are excellent for at home monitoring. Translates reasonably well through my Xitone and CLR.

Sixstring

Axe-Master
In one of these threads someone said you can hook up a mixer to play music through them? How does that work? You can't listen to music and the Axe at the same time can you?
It's no different than hooking up powered speakers to a PA mixer, multiple source inputs mixing down to a mono or stereo output.

Some Studio monitors have multiple inputs that will work at the same time, meaning you can have say an ipod signal and your Ax8 excepting both signals at the same time. All you have to do is to manage the mix via one of the devices output volumes.

The M-Audio Bx8a's that I'm currently using have a 1/4" and and XLR input that work at the same time. I'm not sure if all studio monitors are this way so you will have to do some investigating on the set you are going to buy to see if that's the case for that make of monitor.

Rex

Legend!
The Axe-Fx can take audio that you feed it over USB and send it to your monitors...while you're playing your guitar.

withfoam

Related to this thread, how is an Atomic CLR Active Wedge for low volume? I've read it can be great and was thinking of doing that vs monitors at home. Thoughts?

Cagey

Experienced
I use a pair of CLRs and I live in a condo, which is not much better than an apartment as far as noise pollution from one unit to the next is concerned. So, I never turn these units up and I'm quite pleased with the sound. The quality is still there. That is, unlike most guitar cabs, the character of the sound doesn't change much relative to sound pressure level.

Best thing about that is, if I do have to play out, I don't have to adjust to different monitors/speakers. These things will get criminally loud if I need 'em to ;)

withfoam

I use a pair of CLRs and I live in a condo, which is not much better than an apartment as far as noise pollution from one unit to the next is concerned. So, I never turn these units up and I'm quite pleased with the sound. The quality is still there. That is, unlike most guitar cabs, the character of the sound doesn't change much relative to sound pressure level.

Best thing about that is, if I do have to play out, I don't have to adjust to different monitors/speakers. These things will get criminally loud if I need 'em to ;)
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Cagey

Experienced
I should also mention, though, the dreaded Fletcher/Munson effect, which you'll have with any speaker since it's actually your ears that cause it. Means when you move from one venue to another (such as from the bedroom to a small club) where there are necessarily large changes in the volume you play at, you'll have to make some EQ changes, mainly at the low end, to re-balance things a bit.

Top Bottom