Best Live Album Of All Time

For me, it all started with KISS ALIVE1 76 - my first live Album, and still in my top favs of all time:
Even now, listening to Cold Gin (below) - timeless, totally holds up today, sounds fresh / new - back in the day, we Kiss freaks would take shit from all the proggers with their Yes and Genesis musicianship - though I later became a fan of those also, I'd defend Kiss to the end - those prog snobs didn't get it back in the mid 70s. It's rock and roll baby!!

Ohhh yea, it all started for me with Kiss Alive! as well...in 1975 there was nothing cooler then Ace Frehley with his tobacco-burst Les Paul cranking out "Parasite". I literally took up guitar as I wanted, almost to the point of obsession, to be able to play that song and it's solo.

I absolutely love pretty much every live record mentioned in this thread, but Alive! has a very special place in my guitar playing DNA...big time!

Gov't Mule--Mulennium

Gov't Mule--The Deepest End

Just saw Govt Mule last Friday. F’n great show! No masks no vax requirements no nothing. Just like the old days. Rockin with my peeps, seeing that the whole crowd was my age group. Lot of white haired dudes and old gals. Was a very good time. Already downloaded the show. I have downloads of almost every Mule show I’ve seen.

For me, it all started with KISS ALIVE1 76 - my first live Album, and still in my top favs of all time:
Even now, listening to Cold Gin (below) - timeless, totally holds up today, sounds fresh / new - back in the day, we Kiss freaks would take shit from all the proggers with their Yes and Genesis musicianship - though I later became a fan of those also, I'd defend Kiss to the end - those prog snobs didn't get it back in the mid 70s. It's rock and roll baby!!

Started it for me too. My 1st show in 75.

I remember just turning 13 and seeing the world premiere of Metallica: Live Shit Binge and Purge; Fade to Black Seattle '89 on MTV. That box set was the greatest live album, to me, at the time. Just the packaging alone was worth it. Hearing Lars' bass drum on that vid as well as Newsteds live bass tone and the last era of Het's live growls accelerated my guitar playing beyond belief.

Not a big Yngwie follower but, this one gets regular spins here - great live sound to my ear - particularly this track (guitar strummin not bad either lol!). Some live albums just capture that "being there" feeling so well - this one, like Kiss Alive 1 does that for me big time. Some fret about how it's done with post production touchups etc - personally I don't care how it's done if it sounds like this.

Yngwie - 89 - Live in Leningrad

He was literally the worst live act I have seen in my lifetime. Brutally bad. I prayed to God (as an atheist)
for it to end. ;)

Maybe not the best but definitely my favorite. Glorious Road King tone. I miss short hair, goatee Petrucci! :tonguewink:

Even though JP not at his best is still light years ahead of most of us, I feel he was at the top of his game during this period. The solo in that song, and Never Enough..., OMG!! I too liked that look, and those Road Kings had a killer tone! All his Mesa Boogies have great tone, but something about TOT is just a bit edgier to my ears. And Budokan has a fantastic sound overall. Much better than Score imo.

It's a toss up between Pink Floyd's Pulse and Slayer's Decade of Aggression. Both are pretty much flawless in their own way. It just so happens that both are albums I've been meaning to return to for ages now, so I guess that settles this midsummer's soundtrack!

Pulse is awesome but I was indoctrinated to PF live material by the lightbulb guy. Love the thunderous guitar intro on this track.

Top three for me which have never got old:

Iron Maiden Live After Death, double mention for an exhaustive gear list contained in the notes which I poured over as a teenager.

AC/DC - If You Want Blood, first AC/DC album I heard aged 15-16, Bon in all his pomp and the tone and control from Angus, unreal

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, talks of overdubs but still just stunning and Phil at the top of his game

He was literally the worst live act I have seen in my lifetime. Brutally bad. I prayed to God (as an atheist)
for it to end. ;)
I literally walked out of his show in the late 80’s and I had been looking forward to it for ages. Shrill ice picky sound and every song turned into a five minutes guitar solo.

Wow - not much love here for Yngwie shows. But this thread is about live albums, and I still say that YM - Live in Lenengrad I referenced above sounds killer (and I tend to be a critic on YM tone/style generally for the reasons u guys cited from live show attendance)

Back
Top Bottom