Best high quality headphones for FM3?

DT990pro are the most comfortable I've ever tried. Only headset I have been able to wear for many hours.
Maybe not the most accurate, but very nice for practice.

I just got a set of these a couple weeks ago and really dig ‘em. I wanted something for casual listening and referencing my mixes. I wouldn’t use them just to mix with alone, but they’re great for checking mixes on a different set of speakers. I’d be comfortable dialing in tones with them after I got used to them, but not right out of the gate.

How good is it for you?
They are reverence Headphones, i recorded and mixed albums with them.
They are very neutral and flat sounding Luke you would expect from a FRFR speaker.
They are absolutely great.
But if you want something that does color your Sound then they are not the right Choice.
I can dial in a sound with them and without tweeking, I can use the preset for my FRFR speaker for Gigs, rehearsals etc.

If I am using it through USB/my DAW, I have Neutron Elements set up with a 10 band EQ to make the headphones more 'flat', otherwise they are a little bit bass-y. If playing directly from the FM3, I have an EQ block that I just turn on to do the same thing. Just remember that if you do it in your preset(s), you should turn it off before playing through an FRFR speaker/amp/etc.

Here's the EQ settings for the Audio Technics:

View attachment 77717
Where do you put a EQ block in the chain?

The person canceled my order :/
Anyone have audiophile headphones that they don’t use?

Would recommend the HD6xx from Drop.com. It's essentially an HD650 for half price.

Otherwise if you have $500 it might be worth looking at the Beyer DT 1770 or 1990.

I've been using the HD6xx as my main headphones for a couple years but I just ordered a set of Beyer DT 770 for a change of pace.

I snagged my dt1770 mint barely used off reverb for $330 plus tax shipped.

I was watching and they pop up used moderately often.

So I've been scurrying down a little headphones rabbit hole again the last couple weeks now with some interesting updates.

EDIT: added the KRK KNS 8400 first impressions below.

I've been using the Sennheiser HD6xx (aka HD650) for the last couple years. It's generally a very good headphone with excellent midrange for me. But I do find the high end to be a bit dark and the low bass to be weak. Generally this isn't bad for playing guitar because you just don't have to roll off the high and low cuts as much, but I wanted to try out some new stuff.

Beyer DT770 (250 ohm) - didn't enjoy these much and will likely return them. They are very bright with a bit of scooped midrange and weak bass. So many reviews call these bassy headphones but not to my ears. The subdues lows and mids make the boosted highs jump out, so you want to high cut everything at about 5k. I tried the 770 (80 ohm) last year and found the same issue. On the plus side they are built extremely well and are very comfortable. And they do a good job of blocking outside noise.

Beyer DT990 (250 ohm) - these I actually like better than the 770's, and possibly the 880's from what I recall. They have boosted high end and a bit of a midrange scoop, but there's a nice bump in the lows that helps balance the highs. Now they're still bright which can be a bit much when listening to music or playing guitar, but they are more balanced sounding to me and I can use them for guitar (where I couldn't use the 770's). I had the 880's (twice) and I think I like these better, again because the low end boost balances out the high end boost somewhat where the 880's (like the 770's) had rolled off low end to me and that just made the highs jump. Comfort and build quality again are awesome. But these are completely open so there's no muffling bleed including your guitar picking.

Shure SRH840 - these are supposed to be midrange studio monitoring headphones and they're pretty good overall, but not sure if I'll keep them. They have a boosted low end (more than the 990's or 6xx but not as bad as some consumer headphones), a very mild dip in the upper mids, and a little bit of sparkle on top (but nowhere near as much as the Beyers). They are closed back so good at isolation. Build is okay...lots of plastic but feels heavy, although mine makes a lot of creaking noises. Comfort is mixed as there are super soft memory foam pads but overall it's heavy. It's a bit bassy for guitar but not bad, just needs more aggressive low cuts. And you can hear more details in the highs than Sennheisers. But overall I would describe it as a warmer/fatter sounding headphone with a pleasant amount of sparkle.

KRK KNS 8400 - these came in today and while I've spent little time with them, I think they'll probably go back before the Shures for a few reasons. First, the ear pads don't go around my ears where nearly every other pair I've tried has no issues. That means not only is it uncomfortable but there's no good seal. Second, the bass is definitely tubbier than the Shures and the mids are a little boxier. So it doesn't sound quite as neutral and open; it sounds stuffy. Third, they feel kind of cheap in the hands, really light weight with kind of cheap feeling plastic. I don't want to say they are terrible but the Shures are more comfortable, sound bigger and more open, and have a better seal.

So here's my quick run down of the headphones I've tried:

Audio Technica M50X - wonky midrange with big boosted lows and highs; heavy and rugged but not great comfort
not recommended

Audio Technica M40X - same as the M50X more or less
not recommended

Beyer DT770 - very detailed with reduced lows and mids and boosted highs; excellent comfort and build
recommended for guitar if you want max clarity and isolation

Beyer DT880 - same as DT770 but open back instead of closed back
not recommended; prefer the 990

Beyer DT990 - very detailed with mildly boosted lows, reduced mids, and boosted highs; excellent comfort and build
recommended for guitar if you want clarity and body without isolation

Blue Lola - generally flat response with mild low end roll-off; extremely heavy and uncomfortable
not recommended

KRK KNS 8400 - boosted lows and slightly boosted highs with a bit lower mids; really light but small ear pads
possibly recommended for guitar if you want more bass/treble and good isolation

Meze 99 - warm headphones with a huge boosted bass and flat highs; excellent comfort and build, very light
not recommended for guitar but if you like bass these are good for music

Philips Fidelio X2 - generally flatter response with boosted lows and annoying/harsh boosted upper mids; decent comfort and build
not recommended

Sennheiser HD6xx/HD650 - awesome flat midrange with rolled off lows and highs; good comfort and build
recommended if you want excellent midrange detail and prefer warmer headphones

Sennheiser HD58x - same as HD6xx with a little more lows and even more rolled off highs
recommended if you want a warm headphone with great mids and want to save a bit of $

Shure SRH840 - warm headphones with a mild bass boost and decent detail; good comfort and build; closed back
recommended if you want a warm headphone with some clarity and isolation

Last edited:
Quick update:

While the Shure SRH-840 are definitely more detailed in the midrange and seem a little flatter overall, I may end up keeping the KRK KNS-8400 over them. The more I use them, the more I find the Shures incredible uncomfortable. They are quite heavy (430 grams on my kitchen scale) and I've been getting pressure points on my jaw from the pads as well as a hot spot on my head where the band rests. They also make quite a bit of noise (creaking and pads). On the flip side, the KRK are much lighter (270 grams on the same scale), have no pressure points or hot spots, making them much easier to wear for long periods. Only downside is the pads don't go around my ears all the way so rest on the outside.

Update 2: I sprayed a tiny bit of liquid wrench (silicone lubricant) into the hinges of the Shures and worked them pretty well. That seemed to take care of a lot of the creaking noises, although not all of it. It's due to the plastic pieces rubbing against each other and they have a pretty tight fit. I think you could work it out with enough of the silicone.

Last edited:
Quick update:

While the Shure SRH-840 are definitely more detailed in the midrange and seem a little flatter overall, I may end up keeping the KRK KNS-8400 over them. The more I use them, the more I find the Shures incredible uncomfortable. They are quite heavy (430 grams on my kitchen scale) and I've been getting pressure points on my jaw from the pads as well as a hot spot on my head where the band rests. They also make quite a bit of noise (creaking and pads). On the flip side, the KRK are much lighter (270 grams on the same scale), have no pressure points or hot spots, making them much easier to wear for long periods. Only downside is the pads don't go around my ears all the way so rest on the outside.

Update 2: I sprayed a tiny bit of liquid wrench (silicone lubricant) into the hinges of the Shures and worked them pretty well. That seemed to take care of a lot of the creaking noises, although not all of it. It's due to the plastic pieces rubbing against each other and they have a pretty tight fit. I think you could work it out with enough of the silicone.
I got my FM3 today, at work now so have not unboxed it yet. Totaly new in the Fractalverse. So i though lets se if people think my KRK KNS-8400 are up to the task.
Not recomended for guitar dont sounds good for me. Will have to do right now.

I got my FM3 today, at work now so have not unboxed it yet. Totaly new in the Fractalverse. So i though lets se if people think my KRK KNS-8400 are up to the task.
Not recomended for guitar dont sounds good for me. Will have to do right now.

If you have them, it's worth a shot. I do generally like these headphones, although there is a bass boost which requires I think more of a cut than you'd expect.

I don't think anything will give you the same feeling as an FRFR, but I've been pretty happy with DT1990 Pro's. A bit of an investment, but worth it. I far prefer them to the 880 Pro's. I also have an earlier FM3 with no headphone jack, so I also picked up a Presonus HP4 to use with the 1990 Pro's. I run stereo TRS 1/4" cables from OUT2 of the FM3 into the HP4, and am pretty happy overall. Shout out to Presonus for making a decently-priced headphone amp with stereo 1/4" inputs, too.

I don't think anything will give you the same feeling as an FRFR, but I've been pretty happy with DT1990 Pro's. A bit of an investment, but worth it. I far prefer them to the 880 Pro's. I also have an earlier FM3 with no headphone jack, so I also picked up a Presonus HP4 to use with the 1990 Pro's. I run stereo TRS 1/4" cables from OUT2 of the FM3 into the HP4, and am pretty happy overall. Shout out to Presonus for making a decently-priced headphone amp with stereo 1/4" inputs, too.

How would you compare the 1990 to the 880? In my mind I'm thinking they have a little more low end and less of a treble spike, so flatter sounding and less harsh?

How would you compare the 1990 to the 880? In my mind I'm thinking they have a little more low end and less of a treble spike, so flatter sounding and less harsh?
I was going to say I now have the dt1770 pro as well.

I have some older t1s but I needed closed for some tracking for acoustics.

When I picked up the gen 1 t1s I tried the 770s. Did not like them much at all. The 1770s are easily in the same league as the t1s if not better and are closed back. Way wider imaging way better on the trebles than what I recall on the 770s and imaging comparable to the t1s. I haven't tried the 1990 but my understanding is they have a lot of similarities to the 1770

Those high-end phones are very very very expensive here, and I’m saving for a CLR.

What do you think about Sennheiser HD280 Pro, ATH m50x and AKG K240 MKII?

Those high-end phones are very very very expensive here, and I’m saving for a CLR.

What do you think about Sennheiser HD280 Pro, ATH m50x and AKG K240 MKII?

I didn't like the M50X much, but a lot of people do. The M40X is supposed to be very, very similar (depending on who's taking measurements) and you can find it for $80 open box on Amazon. Never used the other two.

Back
Top Bottom