• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Best headphones under $150? Eleven Rack birthday gift to nephew...

Womac911

Inspired
My nephew has a birthday coming up in a few weeks. He plays cello and a few other instrument in his school orchestra, and have been working to save up for a guitar...he wants to start playing. He's turning 16.

I figured I have one too many guitars here, so I'll send him one. He's getting one of my PRS SE guitars, along with an Eleven Rack. :shock I'd sold the Eleven Rack back in November for $200, as I hadn't touched it since I got the Axe.. but, I managed to trade it back to the guy I sold it to. Let's just say he made out like a bandit...

Anyways, my sister figured she's get him a good set of headphones while he saves up the $ for something else to run the Eleven Rack into.

So, for $150 or less, which headphones do you suggest, and why?

My current phones are Sony MDR-V6... they're not bad, but not great either.

grape

Experienced
Sennheiser HD-380 PRO ~$125

These are closed back and over the ear. They provide more isolation and are less painful than similar smaller cup phones. These somehow slipped by studio types b/c they were marketed towards djs but are really good for musicians where sound quality, comfort and isolation matter. The price has dropped substantially b/c they crossed over into the best buy market. I've used various closed backs and these are by far the best bang for the for the buck.

Jeries

Power User
Bose AE-2

I don't care about sound- because you shouldn't use headphones for mixing...

Most comfortable you can get

Top Bottom