Best Guitarist of all times

Not to put a damper on the fun, but Richard Benson suffers from chronic arthritis, which is why he plays like that now. He used to be a great guitar player. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and it's really sad that people pay money to go throw stuff at him while he tries to gig.

Regarding the OP, just yesterday in my FB memories I realized I had seen Vai 4 years ago on the P&W 25th anniversary tour. My last post of that night was "Yep, still the best guitarist on the planet."

Alas, I found myself going back to Gilmour in the last year or so. He's who made me start playing and there isn't a single thing he's ever played that I don't love. Even his shitty songs like "Cruise". Gilmour just hits the feels.

Last edited:
Not to put a damper on the fun, but Richard Benson suffers from chronic arthritis, which is why he plays like that now. He used to be a great guitar player. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and it's really sad that people pay money to go throw stuff at him while he tries to gig.

:oops: This is effin' invalid abuse. Both on part of the venues and the audience. :mad: Of all the craziest and sickest things I've seen in this crazy sick year that video easily tops everything. :cry:

Hard to say "best". It's all relative.

I seem to find a new top-tier guitarist every other week on Instagram. This week's find (thanks to Andy Wood) is Darryl Syms. Very Mateus Asato sounding.

I hear what you mean, although to me he sounds a bit more like Lari Basilio.

:oops: This is effin' invalid abuse. Both on part of the venues and the audience. :mad: Of all the craziest and sickest things I've seen in this crazy sick year that video easily tops everything. :cry:

It’s really disheartening seeing videos of him being treated like shit knowing what’s going on with him. Part of me thinks he’s complicit, like with that game show, he seemed to be acting and putting it on, so maybe he just figured this would be his schtick. Regardless, I’m sure he wouldn’t prefer things this way.

I'm confused. This was posted on the first page of this thread but there are 3 pages now. What was left to talk about?

I meant to reply about him as well. I’m buddies with him on FB, if you go back far enough, you’ll find videos of him playing quite well. I think he posted one of these videos as a joke and people took it seriously so he hasn’t stopped doing it. He’s a sweetheart of a guy, doesn’t speak much English but he’ll reply to every comment, negative or positive, with “Hugs brother!!!”. He’s really flooded a lot of FB guitar groups with that stuff and some of those posts get up to 300+ comments of people just flipping out about how terrible he is. It’s particularly hilarious when the older/blooz guys see the vids, “See! This is exactly what we’re talking about! All that shred is just shit. All speed and no feel!“ :D

In every discussion never the name of George Harrison is pronounced but he has written some of the most beautiful songs ever.. So how is it possible who s the best? Is there a score point for technique vs melody vs songwriting? Nope.. So..

OK I'll play. I vote for Tina Setkic and she's only 21 yrs old...........................Otherwise it's lots of people.....Jeeezzz, what a question.

In every discussion never the name of George Harrison is pronounced but he has written some of the most beautiful songs ever.. So how is it possible who s the best? Is there a score point for technique vs melody vs songwriting? Nope.. So..
The answer is there is NO answer....................................But I do love Tina Setkic...............Wait she is in France. Oh well! Story of my life.

It’s really disheartening seeing videos of him being treated like shit knowing what’s going on with him. Part of me thinks he’s complicit, like with that game show, he seemed to be acting and putting it on, so maybe he just figured this would be his schtick. Regardless, I’m sure he wouldn’t prefer things this way.

Yeah, I think he's accepted that this is the price he must pay to still be in the lime light. He'd rather suffer the abuse and have some attention as a musician then nothing at all.

OK I'll play. I vote for Tina Setkic and she's only 21 yrs old...........................Otherwise it's lots of people.....Jeeezzz, what a question.

The answer is there is NO answer....................................But I do love Tina Setkic...............Wait she is in France. Oh well! Story of my life.

If I may ask, how old are you, cause if that 68 in your name is any hint you must be a very dirty old man. :tonguewink:
Not that I judge because a dirty mind is a joy forever.

could be possible only IF Slash and Keith Richard would be the only two guitarist survivors after Armaggedon..
Well I don't know about Slash, but I'll bet Keith Richards will survive armaggedon easily given what he has survived to date - so I'm going with Keef in this scenario.

Back
Top Bottom