Best Guitarist of all times

Best Guitarist? I want to say Andres Segovia, but I then think maybe Steve Howe, but then I was thinking John Williams but wait I really meant to say Jimmy Hendrix, but oh, wait it’s got to be Jimmy Page, now that I think about it unless you count Frank Zappa as a guitarist... Hmm was Zappa really a guitarist? Well of course I could pick Steve Vai since he was Frank's protégée... But hold the presses, Wes Montgomery for sure, or should it be Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola? I’m confused, what was the question again? Oh yeah what I real meant to say was for sure its Keith Richards, Ton Iommi, Robert Frip, Ritchie Blackmore, Andy Summers, Peter Frampton, Robin Tower, Eddie Van Halen, Brad Whitford, Joe Perry, Alex Lifeson, Zakk Wylde, hold on I know now its defiantly Randy Rhoads, Allan Holdsworth, Brad Gillis, Jeff Watson, Jef Beck, Pat Metheny, Tommy Skeoch…. OK Ok OK For Real its Joe Satriani no on smokes old Joe right? Right? Wrong? Bet your thinking Yngwie Malmsteen when you think of smoking…. But I digress, I like Slash too and sorry I didn’t mention Saul Hudson….
Must be Jeff Beck since you mentioned him twice ;)

Or is Jeff different from Jef?

Since nobody seemed to recognize / acknowledge the earlier picture I posted in this thread of the absolute hands down indisputable best ever guitarist of all times, here is a more recognizable photo to confirm this undeniable fact based on vast evidence:
View attachment 75270
Not sure if I've ever seen pictures of a young, naked-faced Ace before... Although I can see it now.

I'm only used to the goateed and somewhat bloated later version... :(

Definitely my first influence!

I'm only used to the goateed and somewhat bloated later version.
Yes - I believe there has been some hard living there over the years - not looking so healthy in elder years.

Unmasked pix of Kiss back in the day were non-existant. They did a great job keeping the mystique when I was a huge fan in the mid 70s. There's a few floating around the internet now but still rare from that time

Last edited:
It s impossibile to say.. It s like to say about the best f1 driver in history.. Too many variables..

Senna.

Yes, there a number of different metrics and variables one could consider...however Senna‘s car control skills were otherworldly and would have come to the fore regardless of era...no one could operate at the edge like he did. Wet races separate those with car control skill from those with better hardware...Senna dominated in those situations. Of course I am highly biased as I named my son after him.

Hamilton and Schumacher are great and have better numbers, but those need to be viewed in context. Vettel is a product of environment and circumstance...as evidenced by his failure to consistently dominate his teammates...Fernando would dominate him in similar equipment. Max is the future.

“Best guitar player” (facility on the instrument) = Guthrie
”Greatest guitar player” = is whoever motivates you to play.

One that evokes emotion, and excites your nerons. If this is too much you could just use height, that's pretty objective...

I’m going to start a band, and call it “All Time,” in which I will be the only guitar player. Then, when this question gets asked on any guitar forum, there will be a definitive answer!
Perhaps All Time Best would work even better.

Back
Top Bottom