best FRFR to put on rider?

kurtr2

I tour and cant take a monitor with me, whats the best most common FRFR i could reasonably expect to get if i put it on a rider?

thx
k

hah, no, not pignose.

for smaller gigs, JBL EON 15 should always be available. there are different models though - the latest generation has a better sound, the G2 is more common to find for riders though, and they have a lot of highs, which you could just turn down on the unit itself.

Hi Kurt,

I'd be asking for the highest quality monitors the venue/ hire have at their disposal.
Getting 2 would be great to run in stereo.

btw, I'm a big fan of your playing and compositions, really looking forward to seeing more of what you do with the Fractal too!

cheers,
Webby

I tour and cant take a monitor with me, whats the best most common FRFR i could reasonably expect to get if i put it on a rider?

thx
k

What's been the most common monitor you have seen on Tour?

The JBL EON is one of the worst monitors I have listin to. If you tour professionally and play in reasonable places EAW should not be a problem for any good venue to produce. If that's not the case and your having to choose from prosumer stuff then QSC K series, JBL PRX or STX powered series, in a pinch Mackie SRM 450. I'm sure there are others that I missed but these stand out as monitors that have been used with the Axe that are probably most common for any place to carry.

Availability?

what will you get?
ask for 2 qsc k12's, tweak your presets to decent monitor's.. LOUD and proud, save them to a bank...
adjust the global eq to what they graciously give you....

A lot of folks use (or have used) FBT Verve 12ma monitors for FRFR. Don't know how common they are such that can be put on a rider.

thx
k

If you sing, your best monitor is IN-Ears.

i disagree. many people sing flat with in ears and if you don't have a solid mix, it's very difficult to perform at all. you end up taking them out and hoping there are regular monitors around.

if you have an ideal situation with a monitor operator, controlled environment, ambience mics, everything in the band mic'd up and/or control over all the gear, then go for it.

but it's usually a gamble with in ears if you don't have all that stuff - just my experience. :)

When you're touring as a side man, you don't typically get to call the shots in regards to ears vs. wedges. That decision is made by the production company along with the talent.

There are exceptions but mainly only if you are famous and playing side man in someone else's act.

i disagree. many people sing flat with in ears and if you don't have a solid mix, it's very difficult to perform at all. you end up taking them out and hoping there are regular monitors around.

if you have an ideal situation with a monitor operator, controlled environment, ambience mics, everything in the band mic'd up and/or control over all the gear, then go for it.

but it's usually a gamble with in ears if you don't have all that stuff - just my experience. :)
I disagree with your disagreement.

Back
Top Bottom