BEST FRFR Products for Ultra

ventura

Experienced
Alright Folks, this Ultra is really blowing me away... I'm powering it through a Fryette 2/90/2 and into various 4x12's I own. I'm wondering about the next BIG step, going full on with FRFR amplification. I've heard about Mackie products, I've heard about Atomic, I'd like to know who uses what, your experiences - plus and minus - and where to go from here.

Thanks!!
V.

:lol You are opening a very large can of sour worms... you know this right?

In short the most "Popular" and I stress popular powered FR solutions in the U.S. are, Atomic Reactor, QSC K12, FBT Verve 12mA, then all the rest depending on what else you like.

Not to be the "do a search" guy, but there's tons of threads--indeed, a whole sub-forum--on this.

:lol You are opening a very large can of sour worms... you know this right?

In short the most "Popular" and I stress popular powered FR solutions in the U.S. are, Atomic Reactor, QSC K12, FBT Verve 12mA, then all the rest depending on what else you like.

As per the post stating "do a search, there's an entire subforum on this topic" and to the above mentioned "can o' worms", this is the reason for my post. Not to be a sh*t-disturber, but to get to the distilled facts on this matter. I know Dweezil is an Atomic guy, I know Belew the same. I'm just wondering is it a defacto default to go with Atomic and if so, are they worth the hype? Or are there better alternatives out there that aren't necessarily "packaged and marketed" with the Axe much like the Atomic products are.

Respectfully,
V.

I'm just wondering is it a defacto default to go with Atomic and if so, are they worth the hype?

I also don't mean to be a sh*t disturber.....but if there was a defacto default...we wouldn't need this section of the Forum.
There are tons and tons of opinions on the Forum.....no one size fits all.
As Six String mentioned, there are a few favorites...but always much debate, and different solutions are better for different folks.

When I was looking for FRFR solutions, I found that the best reading was any thread that had "Shootout" in the title. I learned a ton and it helped me target some speakers to do testing of my own.
I would also suggest reading the thread titled "Jay Mitchell and the power of Flat Response"

Hope that helps.

I also don't mean to be a sh*t disturber.....but if there was a defacto default...we wouldn't need this section of the Forum.
There are tons and tons of opinions on the Forum.....no one size fits all.
As Six String mentioned, there are a few favorites...but always much debate, and different solutions are better for different folks.

When I was looking for FRFR solutions, I found that the best reading was any thread that had "Shootout" in the title. I learned a ton and it helped me target some speakers to do testing of my own.
I would also suggest reading the thread titled "Jay Mitchell and the power of Flat Response"

Hope that helps.

That is a great help!! Thank you... Just needed a bit o' direction :)

V.

There were a number of favorable posts a while back about the Yamaha DSR 115. Might be worth checking out. I'm using a QSC K12 & have been very happy with it.

I spent a lot of time reading all the posts before I went FRFR & there are so many opinions I feel that I kind of wasted quite a bit of time. The only way to find what fits you is to go out & start trying different brands. I formed a pretty good relationship with one of the sales guys at my local Guitar Center & they let me purchase a monitor on a 30 day trial - I could return for store credit if I didn't like it & could try a new one or have them order any kind I wanted. I could keep doing that over & over until I found a monitor I liked. I imagine they would do the same for just about anyone. I started with the K12 & ended up keeping it.

You will probably need to take one home & spend a little time tweaking. Most likely it won't sound all that great when you first plug the Axe in. Once you find all the sweet spots you will never look back.

Best of luck.

Hey, thanks so much for this info...

Where I live it's near impossible to get into any shops and so forth to 'try stuff out'. Although I'm only 2 hours away from Vancouver, my life and work and freetime is all spent in this little ol' ski town that has NO music shops - and I'm one busy sumbitch, so taking a day or two to liesurely try stuff out is an impossibility. I go on recommendations. I typically buy stuff, and if it's experimental, I always make sure I can return it for a refund. My approach has always been to find like-minded people sharing their thoughts and views. In the my "normal" world of music, I have a tech and a couple distributors who know EXACTLY what I like, so our business is easy peezy. In the sense of the Axe and going the FRFR route, this is new to many of them as well, so it's hit and miss. Rather than "miss" several times before getting a "hit", I'm doing my due diligence.

Peace,
V.

There were a number of favorable posts a while back about the Yamaha DSR 115. Might be worth checking out. I'm using a QSC K12 & have been very happy with it.

I spent a lot of time reading all the posts before I went FRFR & there are so many opinions I feel that I kind of wasted quite a bit of time. The only way to find what fits you is to go out & start trying different brands. I formed a pretty good relationship with one of the sales guys at my local Guitar Center & they let me purchase a monitor on a 30 day trial - I could return for store credit if I didn't like it & could try a new one or have them order any kind I wanted. I could keep doing that over & over until I found a monitor I liked. I imagine they would do the same for just about anyone. I started with the K12 & ended up keeping it.

You will probably need to take one home & spend a little time tweaking. Most likely it won't sound all that great when you first plug the Axe in. Once you find all the sweet spots you will never look back.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Well that is certainly a loaded question and a hot-button topic around here.

But, since I'm known for inserting my dumb-ass into topics I will here too.

I have two QSC K12's. I'm very happy with them. I went to the music store with my Axe FX to try out these new-fangled FRFR things.

I was expecting to be disappointed. I've heard too many PA's that sounded shill, tubby, boomy, nasal, etc. so I was expecting the worst. I tried several types; passives with SS power amps, several actives. Got to the K12's and just stopped. I was really liking what I heard. Very clean, very quiet, and very smooth. It sounded good clean, light OD, heavy distortion (as heavy as I get). Played through them for 2 1/2 hours and ran] home to get my Mesa Mk V to trade in for 2 K12's.

Some people say they sound 'plasticy'. I don't hear it. Some people say they're boomy. A simple EQ adjustment will cure that. And this and that, etc.

I think the K12's at the price point at which they are offered are a good deal.

Are there better? I'm sure there is. I didn't even bother to look at the $1k to $3k range. For the same reason I drive a Toyota pickup and not a Ferrari. I have no business goin' there.

Brilliant reply, thank you. Did you manage to try the Atomic line up out??

Cheers,
V.

Well that is certainly a loaded question and a hot-button topic around here.

But, since I'm known for inserting my dumb-ass into topics I will here too.

I have two QSC K12's. I'm very happy with them. I went to the music store with my Axe FX to try out these new-fangled FRFR things.

I was expecting to be disappointed. I've heard too many PA's that sounded shill, tubby, boomy, nasal, etc. so I was expecting the worst. I tried several types; passives with SS power amps, several actives. Got to the K12's and just stopped. I was really liking what I heard. Very clean, very quiet, and very smooth. It sounded good clean, light OD, heavy distortion (as heavy as I get). Played through them for 2 1/2 hours and ran] home to get my Mesa Mk V to trade in for 2 K12's.

Some people say they sound 'plasticy'. I don't hear it. Some people say they're boomy. A simple EQ adjustment will cure that. And this and that, etc.

I think the K12's at the price point at which they are offered are a good deal.

Are there better? I'm sure there is. I didn't even bother to look at the $1k to $3k range. For the same reason I drive a Toyota pickup and not a Ferrari. I have no business goin' there.

Brilliant reply, thank you. Did you manage to try the Atomic line up out??

No, and for no reason except I'm a try-it-before-you-buy-it guy. Alot of folks here are gassed with them so they must sound good.

Your subject line is Best FRFR Products for Ultra... but nothing mentioned here so far would really approach best without any qualifiers.

If you look for posts containing "FRFR" and user "scotts" you'll turn up some threads that attempt to put the different products into some perspective.

Your subject line is Best FRFR Products for Ultra... but nothing mentioned here so far would really approach best without any qualifiers.

Good point. Perhaps, given the direction of the OP's choices, a more accurate thread title could be "MOST POPULAR FRFR Products for Ultra". Otherwise, if money's no object, perhaps we'd all be talking about owning a pair of these (drool...) :shock

Q15 15" Coaxial Studio Monitor with High SPL and Internal DSP for Matched Output, Accurate Voicing, and Room Correction.

Ya, for sure this is what I was getting at with my originally titled post. 'Best' simply meaning uber popular and well worth the price of admission and the reasons why. I'm not used to posting on a forum where such vehement concern with regards to semantics and 'loose terminology' was such a pinnacle focus. I apologize, for chrissakes people, I'm a music lover...a music player...a musician and adamant hobbyist...I got into music to avoid 'authoritarian' constraints LOL. ANYWAY...ahem, I've honed my skills on the search function. Thank you.

I'm just looking into what passive Wedges can take wattage wise and what to expect from pumping my Fryette 2/90/2 into a pair of them as far as flat response and quality of sonic experience. Will share my results when I hear from the powers that be (aka Tom).

Namaste,
V.

Good point. Perhaps, given the direction of the OP's choices, a more accurate thread title could be "MOST POPULAR FRFR Products for Ultra". Otherwise, if money's no object, perhaps we'd all be talking about owning a pair of these (drool...) :shock

Q15 15" Coaxial Studio Monitor with High SPL and Internal DSP for Matched Output, Accurate Voicing, and Room Correction.

Ya, for sure this is what I was getting at with my originally titled post. 'Best' simply meaning uber popular and well worth the price of admission and the reasons why. I'm not used to posting on a forum where such vehement concern with regards to semantics and 'loose terminology' was such a pinnacle focus. I apologize, for chrissakes people, I'm a music lover...a music player...a musician and adamant hobbyist...I got into music to avoid 'authoritarian' constraints LOL. ANYWAY...ahem, I've honed my skills on the search function. Thank you.

I'm just looking into what passive Wedges can take wattage wise and what to expect from pumping my Fryette 2/90/2 into a pair of them as far as flat response and quality of sonic experience. Will share my results when I hear from the powers that be (aka Tom).

Namaste,
V.

i withdraw my unintentionally upsetting previous post. (part of being a condescending and high-minded authoritarian is the general unawareness that the things we write and say make us look like total assholes...apologies...guilty as charged. Unfortunately, I'm hopelessly locked in this disgusting personality trait.)

Get the QSC K12

(edit: and I also don't know how to read. the K12 is an active speaker...going away now...)

Last edited:
i withdraw my unintentionally upsetting previous post. (part of being a condescending and high-minded authoritarian is the general unawareness that the things we write and say make us look like total assholes...apologies...guilty as charged. Unfortunately, I'm hopelessly locked in this disgusting personality trait.)

Get the QSC K12

(edit: and I also don't know how to read. the K12 is an active speaker...going away now...)
No need to 'go away'... Albeit I'm asking about passive being driven by a Fryette 2/90/2, I am also looking into the world of active monitors... It's just a big place to have to try and orientate oneself. Stick me in a room with tube driven heads and a variety of cabs, I can tell with you almost uncanny accuracy as to what glass is in those heads and what drivers are in the cabinets. Get me into this rabbit hole of Axe-La-La-Land and I'm like a fish out of water. A happy fish, most certainly, but a fish gasping for, well, water nevertheless.

Peace,
V.

PS - and thanks for the gratuitous use of profanity [finally] in your reply. It's a bit stiff around here... I get it, sorta like a bunch of rockstar wannabes meet mathematician-cum-physicist-turned-hip cats. I can dig, I'm right there with y'all... It's ALL good [enter thumbsup!!]

It's a bit stiff around here... I get it, sorta like a bunch of rockstar wannabes meet mathematician-cum-physicist-turned-hip cats. I can dig, I'm right there with y'all... It's ALL good [enter thumbsup!!]

Ha that's funny but I think it's more the case of most of the people on this board have moved on from 10th grade, thankfully it's not HC around here.

Back
Top Bottom