Best FRFR for the money

Spicoli21

CLRs are expensive and out of stock, but I've heard good things about QSC, headrush and others. Looking for good quality for the money. Tia

Would recommend a pair of whatever you get. Stereo is tough to beat with the Axe/ FM3. I have a pair of DXR10s that I like a lot. I work a Headrush 112 into the rotation periodically. The 112 seems to provide a bit more low end which can be desirable depending venue.

The ELIS is backordered. Anyone have an opinion on the Headrush frfr? 8" vs 12"?
I’d recommend waiting and get the ELIS.8 bundle. I have a Headrush 112 in addition to the ELIS.8 bundle, and prefer the bundle’s sound. It’s smoother and not as boomy.

A friend of mine has a pair of the 108 and a pair of the 112. He got the 108s initially, and I liked the sound he was getting. They sat in the mix well and were surprisingly loud. But he said they’d break up on stage when in bigger rooms and with a louder band, so he got the 112s. They are louder, and move more air, but sound more like 4x12 cabinets vs. 2x12 or a 1x12 for the 8”. He uses his 108s for his church gig and jazz stuff.

The 112 cabinet is heavier and bigger so consider that too.

Thanks for the input. I need something that will work in a live band setting that won't break up or lose clarity at loud volumes. I switched to a FM3 from an EVH 5153 tube amp and 412 EVH cab and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best tone for live gigging.

I had a pair of Friedman asc12, but I got rid of them due to their size and space and got a pair of studio monitors instead (Adam A8X) since I don’t really gig or anything. I feel like the the studio monitors have a sound better and more accurate.

Thanks for the input. I need something that will work in a live band setting that won't break up or lose clarity at loud volumes. I switched to a FM3 from an EVH 5153 tube amp and 412 EVH cab and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best tone for live gigging.
For best tone: Did you mike your cabinet or did you use the 4x12 to fill room? A modeler sounds like a miked cabinet, whether it’s through the FOH system or FRFR cabinets being used to fill the room, unless you turn off cabinet modeling and run a neutral power-amp into your regular cabinet.

The difference is the first sounds like a recording studio version of your guitar and the second sounds more like the traditional back line rig, to you. 4x12 are louder than two 1x12 FRFR but don’t spread the sound like a FRFR will.

Two FRFR acting as your on-stage monitors and feeding to the audience/FOH will be more consistent sounding but you will have to readjust your idea of how your guitar should sound. I remember the first time I listened to a friend’s AX8 through two FRFR on stage and into the FOH system; it was crystal clear and sounded massive.

I lean toward the FRFR+FOH solution but YMMV.

@Spicoli21 I would not recommend the headrush's for the application you're considering. They sound good-great (to my ears) at bedroom/apartment levels. Pushing it up to keep up with a drummer/ other amped musicians in a jam space is enough to cause some break up and undesirable harshness. Definitely would only use them as a monitor in a live situation, if that.

That being said, I am really happy with the sound I get at home, especially for the price. At home is basically the only way I play, I don't need a ton of volume, and them sounding decent quiet was a big selling point for me. If I were to play a gig I would probably want to go FOH and use in ear monitors. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the input. I will probably use a headrush as a wedge monitor for myself, and possibly one for the drummer, and run a couple of higher quality 12" frfr's to fill the room.

Late to the party here. Sounds like you already decided but wanted to share that I ended up with a pair of QSC K10.2 and they are working out great. Loud, powerful, and with the "Studio Monitor" setting they seem transparent enough that I feel comfortable dialing in presets.

Late to the party here. Sounds like you already decided but wanted to share that I ended up with a pair of QSC K10.2 and they are working out great. Loud, powerful, and with the "Studio Monitor" setting they seem transparent enough that I feel comfortable dialing in presets.
Is there any particular reason why you went with the 10" vs the 12"?

Is there any particular reason why you went with the 10" vs the 12"?
To be honest - no real particular reason. I had read something about the 12.2 having midrange issues and the 10.2 having more focused mids. But that was a few internet opinions as much as you can trust those hahah.

The real reason - I was selling a bunch of gear (after getting the axe and realizing I could comfortably get rid of some stuff). Of the monitors the shop had, QSC seemed to have best reputation. They only had the 10.2 and were willing to massively discount a pair to soften the blow of the robbery they were pulling on me.

Just got the Laney 2x12 400w FR for 738 from Pro Audio sound and Its way better than my Headrush 12 fr

To be honest - no real particular reason. I had read something about the 12.2 having midrange issues and the 10.2 having more focused mids. But that was a few internet opinions as much as you can trust those hahah.

The real reason - I was selling a bunch of gear (after getting the axe and realizing I could comfortably get rid of some stuff). Of the monitors the shop had, QSC seemed to have best reputation. They only had the 10.2 and were willing to massively discount a pair to soften the blow of the robbery they were pulling on me.
I also had 2 QSC K.2 10's and was a great setup

Back
Top Bottom