Votes: 9 9.8%
  • QSC K12.2

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Headrush 112

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Other

Votes: 55 59.8%

• Total voters
I have used Mackie SRM450's V3 in our rehearsal space and for some gigs (with the AX8, not the FM3). They are usable, but I much prefer the Yamaha DZR 10's I upgraded to.

I used the Mackie's for years in a duo/trio/4 piece and they always impressed me (with a bit of eq-ing), they get a bit of criticism on modelling forums from what I can tell, but how bad can they be? They do seem a little scooped compared to others I've used though. I guess they aren't worth much any more to sell and replace so I'll be using what I've got for now. Will be interesting to see how they work with the FM3. The Rolls Royce would be nice, but I might have to settle for a Ford for a while! :grinning:

I did a few gigs with an SRM450 (v1) when I first got my Axe III. It sounded good enough to convince me the Axe was a keeper. But I had to tone the presence down in my presets--the Mackie sounded harsh in comparison to good studio monitors. Once I got serious about FRFR, I tried Xitone and AccuGroove, and I find both to be much truer to the tone coming out of the Axe.

I did a few gigs with an SRM450 (v1) when I first got my Axe III. It sounded good enough to convince me the Axe was a keeper. But I had to tone the presence down in my presets--the Mackie sounded harsh in comparison to good studio monitors. Once I got serious about FRFR, I tried Xitone and AccuGroove, and I find both to be much truer to the tone coming out of the Axe.
I could understand that, I do find they can be a little harsh at times I think, even with acoustic guitar. Of course, if you turn up to a smallish gig and the FOH is a pair of SRM450s and Subs, well, you're back there again!

The good news is the Axe has plenty of eq to handle things like this. I could have set up a patch with a few parametric notches to tame the SRM450 on stage, while sending a flat signal out to the FOH.

But it's definitely easier all around when you trust your stage monitor :)

I have the K12.2 and the original K12 for various situations and don't mind them for speakers. I usually am hooked into studio monitors(Kali LP6) which make everything transparent enough to dive into. I also do IEMs at church and on the road that is super accurate for DI!

I bet that Friedman just shits on everything though.. lol

Aspen's CPS Spacestation.. Have used all and every FRFRs out there in market.
All sold out except Friedman ASC10 and Spacestation. If anyone ever use CPS,
then ordinary FRFRs look like sounds boxy transistor radio..Please give a try.

Wow!!
I've never even heard of this before and I though my finger was on the pulse of the all things guitar related:p

Aspen's CPS Spacestation.. Have used all and every FRFRs out there in market.
All sold out except Friedman ASC10 and Spacestation. If anyone ever use CPS,
then ordinary FRFRs look like sounds boxy transistor radio..Please give a try.

I tried one of these with my original AXE FX; however, I don't think it was made by Aspen at the time. I thought it was a cool concept and it sounded great at home; however, it lacked the volume and low end to hang with a band.

I would like to try the XL version with a 12" speaker but its a little spendy and heavy.

I have been nothing but happy with my Accugroove Robusta. While also spendy the cab just sounds awesome. I still have my Latte which I'm using for a PA speaker for small gigs. The Latte is like a large studio monitor and the Robusta is a little more raw but both sound good and are under 42lbs.

If I had to use one of those I would be back on amps.
Having a digital rendition of a couple of hundred $99 practice amps isn't a tone I want.
CLR, Xitone or Best ;a Fryette tube amp and two good cabs with F12x200s in them.

I’ve got an older version space station. I think it’s poor as a primary monitor, however, it sounds simply amazing when I send it a dedicated stereo rotary speaker output. Sounds just like my old Vibratone used to, and paired with something like a CLR it simply makes the in the room tones sound amazing.

I actually modded mine with some proper grill cloth and a fake drip edge made from patio screen trim and I swear people think there is a spinning drum in there when they hear it

View attachment 76455

Last edited:
I have tried more FRFR options than I care to mention (because you will think I have a problem...and maybe I do).

Budget option - Yamaha DXR is likely a good one, or QSC HPR112 on the used market (awesome option)

No budget:
#1 - Atomic CLR / RCF NX12ma / XiTone <- all of these are outstanding
#2 - Yamaha DSR or DZR

A vote for QSC here. However, I am using the smaller K10.2s. They sound great to me whether I need to practice relatively quietly or when it’s time to turn up.

Back
Top Bottom