Best FRFR for AX8?

Jordi_C

Hi guys!

I'm thinking on get one frfr speaker for my ax8, mostly for play metal (subgenere more like to death or prog metal, or even a modern black metal tone). And I want to know if you guys know the different options of the market.

For the moment I know the Powercab 112 and 112 Plus from Line 6, and the FR12 or QR12 from Matrix which ones who I have the best expectations

I also know the Headrush, but for it's price I don't expect anything. And also the Friedman, but for some reviews I don't think I would be happy with it.

What do you guys recommend? Or maybe just a speakers from Alto Truesonic or Yamaha would be great? I tested my AX8 with ones from Mackie for a rehearsal and I was not happy with the sound.

Budget 500€ to 900€. Also if possible brands and models available in Europe

Looking forward your opinions

Last edited:
I just went through a similar search and settled with the Headrush 108. It arrives today so I don't have the ability to recommend it or not. Beyond the price, what made that appealing to me was the reports I've heard on how it sounds plus the small portability of it. Since you're a Metal guy, I would think you'd want something with a 112 and not the 8" speaker so you can more accurately access that low end chug.

The tough part is that (to my knowledge) these are mostly online. We can't go to a store and line all these up and play through them/compare them. So we're left with Youtube, reviews, and forum threads. Then we order and hope for the best.

If money is no issue, I think the CLR sounds like an over all best bet. It's accurate and disperses well and even seems like it has one of the flattest responses. What more can you ask for?

I also get the impression that the Friedman would be a decent selection for metal. It seems voiced more for heavier tones, from what I can tell. On the slightly lesser expensive side the Line 6 actually seems pretty impressive.

Even though they are FRFR, they all seem to be voiced differently enough that a person could go wrong with one and not another. Yet, how bad could "wrong" be if you can just make a couple of tweaks here and there to make it sound the way you want.

Most of the better FRFR's seem to be fairly large and heavy - along the lines of a traditional guitar combo, or even heavier in some cases. This begins to nullify the reason I got my AX8 to begin with. It becomes less "grab and go" for transporting and more about loading up the car with my gear, just like the old days. This is what made the Headrush 108 appealing to me. Then the price was just added appeal. I'm also not currently in a band so the need for a concert ready backline speaker is not needed. Even then, I'd be running my line into FOH, so I'm not sure I'd need much more than a solid monitor on stage.

This video is interesting as they compare some really decent sounding FRFRs and do it fairly efficiently. Their best sounding ones aren't cheap, but this gives you some sense of differences. The Alto probably sounds the worst in this video. While it is a similar product to the Headrush, the Alto has a preamp section that the Headrush models do not, which has to affect the sound it puts out, and could easily explain some of the boomy bass they report. I've heard others say the Headrush bass is too boomy also, but I've also read a lot of reviews that say this isn't the case... I guess I'll find out later today. Anyway, I don't think it's quite fair to hear the Alto and assume the Headrush sounds just like that since they look the same. - fwiw

If I had a larger budget, I probably would have gone with something more expensive, yet that portability factor is real for me and I'm excited to see if I can make the 108 work for my needs.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Jordi,

I have the Dynacord AXM 12a and I'm very happy with it as a FRFR. It's compact and light but very powerful and can get very loud. I'm not sure what price it would be be, but it's made in Germany so should be good value in Europe

Cheers

Steve
Dynacord_AXM12A_02-BQfXYCrP7U_OZjACKxUuq9J.dDwLETOz.jpg

Hi guys!

I'm thinking on get one frfr speaker for my ax8, mostly for play metal (subgenere more like to death or prog metal, or even a modern black metal tone). And I want to know if you guys know the different options of the market.

For the moment I know the Powercab 112 and 112 Plus from Line 6, and the FR12 or QR12 from Matrix which ones who I have the best expectations

I also know the Headrush, but for it's price I don't expect anything. And also the Friedman, but for some reviews I don't think I would be happy with it.

What do you guys recommend? Or maybe just a speakers from Alto Truesonic or Yamaha would be great? I tested my AX8 with ones from Mackie for a rehearsal and I was not happy with the sound.

Budget 500€ to 900€. Also if possible brands and models available in Europe

Looking forward your opinions

I bought the Headrush 108 just to take to rehearsals because it weighs 18 lbs. sweet.... While I personally don't want to gig with it, I will admit that bad bow can throw out some sound for a little pup. Can keep up with the band at rehearsals, and use at home some. My go to is my Friedman ASM 10 cuz I'm an old tube and that Friedman looks bad ass on stage and the sound to me is awesome. They get knocked cuz they are a bit dark but I've dialed in brighter tones with with my AustinBuddy Packs and it sounds awesome. Like I said, I'm old school so the wedge won't work for me though I do know they are popular and sound great. I just gotta stay old school and again, that Friedman cranks once dialed in. Have fun.

"I just gotta stay old school and again, that Friedman cranks once dialled in"

I was going to buy a Friedman - there was a used one locally for sale here. Fantastic speaker for the AX8, but the weight was about 28 kg (12" model) so it was a bit much for my poor old back
:(

I’ll be listing a 10” XiTone powered wedge in the for sale section in the next day or two.

Hi Jordi,

I have the Dynacord AXM 12a and I'm very happy with it as a FRFR. It's compact and light but very powerful and can get very loud. I'm not sure what price it would be be, but it's made in Germany so should be good value in Europe

Cheers

Steve
View attachment 56374
I checked that are on Thomann, so that's a great point and the price seems quite good. I'll take a look, but... is it really a frfr, or just a speaker?

I just went through a similar search and settled with the Headrush 108. It arrives today so I don't have the ability to recommend it or not. Beyond the price, what made that appealing to me was the reports I've heard on how it sounds plus the small portability of it. Since you're a Metal guy, I would think you'd want something with a 112 and not the 8" speaker so you can more accurately access that low end chug.

The tough part is that (to my knowledge) these are mostly online. We can't go to a store and line all these up and play through them/compare them. So we're left with Youtube, reviews, and forum threads. Then we order and hope for the best.

If money is no issue, I think the CLR sounds like an over all best bet. It's accurate and disperses well and even seems like it has one of the flattest responses. What more can you ask for?

I also get the impression that the Friedman would be a decent selection for metal. It seems voiced more for heavier tones, from what I can tell. On the slightly lesser expensive side the Line 6 actually seems pretty impressive.

Even though they are FRFR, they all seem to be voiced differently enough that a person could go wrong with one and not another. Yet, how bad could "wrong" be if you can just make a couple of tweaks here and there to make it sound the way you want.

Most of the better FRFR's seem to be fairly large and heavy - along the lines of a traditional guitar combo, or even heavier in some cases. This begins to nullify the reason I got my AX8 to begin with. It becomes less "grab and go" for transporting and more about loading up the car with my gear, just like the old days. This is what made the Headrush 108 appealing to me. Then the price was just added appeal. I'm also not currently in a band so the need for a concert ready backline speaker is not needed. Even then, I'd be running my line into FOH, so I'm not sure I'd need much more than a solid monitor on stage.

This video is interesting as they compare some really decent sounding FRFRs and do it fairly efficiently. Their best sounding ones aren't cheap, but this gives you some sense of differences. The Alto probably sounds the worst in this video. While it is a similar product to the Headrush, the Alto has a preamp section that the Headrush models do not, which has to affect the sound it puts out, and could easily explain some of the boomy bass they report. I've heard others say the Headrush bass is too boomy also, but I've also read a lot of reviews that say this isn't the case... I guess I'll find out later today. Anyway, I don't think it's quite fair to hear the Alto and assume the Headrush sounds just like that since they look the same. - fwiw

If I had a larger budget, I probably would have gone with something more expensive, yet that portability factor is real for me and I'm excited to see if I can make the 108 work for my needs.

Good luck!

Thank you! Just checked the video, and the mission Gemini sounds amazing, but also the line 6 looks very good, and for what you said, the friedman may be ideal for metal tones.

I'm not sure if the Gemini it's provided directly in Europe, so buying from usa or wherever comes from, may be risky, and more money for delivery, so I will consider to choose randomly between the line 6 112 and the Friedman from Thomann, and test it for a few days and if I'm not really happy with the sound I will change it. Unless I can't find another good option.

Thank you very much! Loking forward for your opinion on the Headrush!

Thank you! Just checked the video, and the mission Gemini sounds amazing, but also the line 6 looks very good, and for what you said, the friedman may be ideal for metal tones.

I'm not sure if the Gemini it's provided directly in Europe, so buying from usa or wherever comes from, may be risky, and more money for delivery, so I will consider to choose randomly between the line 6 112 and the Friedman from Thomann, and test it for a few days and if I'm not really happy with the sound I will change it. Unless I can't find another good option.

Thank you very much! Loking forward for your opinion on the Headrush!

As I stated and SteveD mentions also, the Friedman ASM I have is heavy but I only move it about once per month. I have back issues also which is why I bought the lite Headrush 10 to run out the door with for rehearsal or jam. None look more rock n roll to me than the old school cab look of my Friedman and again, the sound thanks to 8 and Tonepack is awesome! Wedge won’t work for me personally but to each their own.
Just enjoy.

Good luck!

I'd been checking some opinions and the Headrush seems more appropriate for high gain, so also for more metal tones rather than the Friedman, but the headrush, made in china and it's low price, makes me doubt... Also, I'm considering the weight, although I do not think I move it very often to part of the rehearsal room.

Don't you think that the headrush won't be better for more high metal tones than the friedman?

Also the line 6, looks a very good option, but as I found, is more limited for the Line 6 Helix

I found that the Atomic CLR is sold out, and I'm not sure if any store in Europe sell them...

I'd been checking some opinions and the Headrush seems more appropriate for high gain, so also for more metal tones rather than the Friedman, but the headrush, made in china and it's low price, makes me doubt... Also, I'm considering the weight, although I do not think I move it very often to part of the rehearsal room.

Don't you think that the headrush won't be better for more high metal tones than the friedman?

Also the line 6, looks a very good option, but as I found, is more limited for the Line 6 Helix

I found that the Atomic CLR is sold out, and I'm not sure if any store in Europe sell them...

My opinion is that you could probably be quite happy with the Headrush 112. I also think the Friedman probably sounds a little better, especially for those kinds of tones. Probably nothing a little EQ can't fix though.

As for the China thing, so many products are made in China anymore, I think it's a mistake to just say China=faulty build quality. - Just my opinion. If you're against supporting China in general, that's another topic and your choice.

If the best tone possible is what you're after and cost doesn't matter, I think there are better options than Headrush. If a very good, usable tone at a reasonable price is a priority, Headrush is hard to beat.

I have a couple of issues with this video - mostly the guy won't stop talking. Also, he obviously has his preset dialed in for the Friedman and not the Headrush. But it's probably worth watching anyway.

I checked a few of these manufacturer websites (Line 6, Friedman, Headrush) and it seems odd to me that they do not offer frequency response charts for their FRFR products. This is industry standard. Seems like they might be hiding the fact that their products are far from flat response?

I have both as I’ve mentioned, the smaller Rush 8 and ASM Friedman. Friedman is just freakin bad, especially for metal and yes, I’ve dialed it in well with my AX8.
Suggestion:
Buy the Friedman from Guitar Center or Sweetwater and give it a shot. Both give you a 30 day return policy. It’s awesome and my guess is you’ll keep it. Just decide between the stand up cab or more slanted version.
Cheers.

Headrush if you don't want to spend a lot of money !. Not sure about the build quality (had to exchange since the speaker went bad after few hours of playing) but the sound coming out from is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom