Best foot controller?

Josetxu

Inspired
I'm going to buy an Axe FX III this week and I wondering what foot controller I should get.

Here in Europe Fractal prices are really high, FC-6 is 650€ (about $720) and FC-12 is 900€ (about $1000). I had an AX8 for almost three years and now an Helix LT for a year and the way I use both are almost the same: one preset for song with several scenes/snapshot (up to 5 on some songs and 6 on one). I usually put Scenes in the lower row (5 and 6 on the upper) and with the empty spaces some spare effects bypass assigments (maybe a booster or the delay on/off). I don't usually use tap tempo live (we use a click track so each preset has the tempo set). Could I use the FC-6 in this case? Any other MIDI controller. I don't think I could justify spending such a lot of money on the FC-12.

Even, has anybody used an Helix as a Axe Controller? could double as a backup even...

Thanks!!

Last edited:
“Best” is a word that can cause confusion.

I’d start by describing exactly how many functions you use, then how many switches you think you need. there are many ways to consolidate switches with multiple functions so you don’t need 1 switch for every single thing you want to do.

if you don’t want to spend that much on an FC6, any midi controller can work. This question has many answers.

can you list out the things you plan on doing? Or did the first post mention everything already?

You say you use a Click Track, dunno if it's only a metronome routed to your monitors/in ears for reference or you actually have your set programmed in a DAW session or something. If that's the case, why not programming your MIDI PC/CC changes per song and forget about a controller? Then you could buy a cheap MIDI controller or better as you say a Helix as a backup just in case something goes wrong in the mid of a song/gig.

I've found the FC6 to be remarkably useful and flexible. The hold functions allow you to quickly jump to the different layouts, so Preset view lets you cycle up/down through banks of 4 presets at a time. When you pick you Preset, hold another button to access Scenes 1-6 in that preset. Hold another button which leads you to the effects, where now the buttons give access to 5 effects toggles, plus a Page button to access 5 more. You can customize any of the layouts to your own liking as well, down to what the well-lit scribble strips say right from AxeEdit.

“Best” is a word that can cause confusion.

I’d start by describing exactly how many functions you use, then how many switches you think you need. there are many ways to consolidate switches with multiple functions so you don’t need 1 switch for every single thing you want to do.

if you don’t want to spend that much on an FC6, any midi controller can work. This question has many answers.

can you list out the things you plan on doing? Or did the first post mention everything already?

I'd need to change preset from song to song and them switch scenes from part to part of the song. That would be mainly what I would need. Some songs have up to 5 or 6 scenes. I could get the FC6 if I could use it like that, but the FC12 is out of my reach

You say you use a Click Track, dunno if it's only a metronome routed to your monitors/in ears for reference or you actually have your set programmed in a DAW session or something. If that's the case, why not programming your MIDI PC/CC changes per song and forget about a controller? Then you could buy a cheap MIDI controller or better as you say a Helix as a backup just in case something goes wrong in the mid of a song/gig.
Unfortunately it's only an audio click track routed to our inears...

Lots of options.

I would say FCs are easiest as they are completely integrated with the Axe Fx.

But they are not midi controllers... If your needs for actual midi are small or none then you don't care.

If you really need midi then look at other options for sure.

The Voes controllers are compatible with the 3rd party midi spec and are pretty affordable. I think they would cover your needs.

BJ Devices with the open source firmware from @GM Arts is another solution to consider.

The FCB1010 is a perennial favorite but it's a bit of a pain to program even with 3rd party ROM chips. Although the new tiny box interface might help there.

Also there is the Morningstar MC-6 and newer MC-8.

I’d look for a used fc6, probably can get a pretty good deal with some users downsizing to the fm3. Its a fantastic unit that works so seamlessly with the III it’s really worth the cost

Lots of options.

I would say FCs are easiest as they are completely integrated with the Axe Fx.

But they are not midi controllers... If your needs for actual midi are small or none then you don't care.

If you really need midi then look at other options for sure.

The Voes controllers are compatible with the 3rd party midi spec and are pretty affordable. I think they would cover your needs.

BJ Devices with the open source firmware from @GM Arts is another solution to consider.

The FCB1010 is a perennial favorite but it's a bit of a pain to program even with 3rd party ROM chips. Although the new tiny box interface might help there.

Also there is the Morningstar MC-6 and newer MC-8.

Thanks! I only need to control the Axe FX III, anything else.

The Voes seems a good option, the MX-12 is the same size as the Kemper Remote, that I've had, although the screen seems a bit small.

Thanks! I only need to control the Axe FX III, anything else.

The Voes seems a good option, the MX-12 is the same size as the Kemper Remote, that I've had, although the screen seems a bit small.

Thank you for you interest in the MX.

You say the screen seems a bit small. I definitely disagree.
24mm x 100mm Big LCD screen.

2x16 characters very good visible.

mx18-03.jpg

vbox-04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom