Best first golf club set “for life”

1poorplayer

Power User
Hello everyone. Looks like I’ll be taking up golf with my boys , sometime soon. We went to a friend’s house recently ; who has his own course , and hit some balls. The kids really enjoyed it , and It looks like I am in need of a set of clubs now.
I don’t want to spend a fortune , but I’d like to get a set that is good enough to possibly use for ever. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Funny you should post this..I am ,right now, considering purchasing a house whose back yard abuts a beautiful course....
Our family was in the resort business Until I was 30 and I worked there every summer ...never got into golf despite having unlimited access to 18 gorgeous holes...too busy working, Making music, partying , and making sure our guests were having an excellent time..(he he) ... but now I love watching golf , and may have to give it a go, if my arthritic limbs can handle it..........

Last year I retired and got back into golf, after 20 years of not playing. I ended up piecing together a set of Pings by going on eBay, Second Swing, and ordering a club or two direct from Ping (using the serial number on the hosel). It's a real nice, full set and matches my height/wrist to ground measurements based on the Ping Dot System. I had a local golfing buddy help w/recommendations. Also, got a brand new Ping Bag...It was a couple years old, but heavily discounted because it was a previous model.

Imagine someone saying the same thing for a guitar. Any hobby is a money pit. I can't comment on golf, I just thought a different angle might help as I know some golfers who spend big bux every year on the latest new thing to help them be like Tiger Woods.

Imagine someone saying the same thing for a guitar. Any hobby is a money pit. I can't comment on golf, I just thought a different angle might help as I know some golfers who spend big bux every year on the latest new thing to help them be like Tiger Woods.

If I’m looking to end up like Tiger , I might opt for a plastic kids set , so my wife will be hitting me over the head with plastic , and not metal !

Funny you should post this..I am ,right now, considering purchasing a house whose back yard abuts a beautiful course....
Our family was in the resort business Until I was 30 and I worked there every summer ...never got into golf despite having unlimited access to 18 gorgeous holes...too busy working, Making music, partying , and making sure our guests were having an excellent time..(he he) ... but now I love watching golf , and may have to give it a go, if my arthritic limbs can handle it..........

funny you should mention the arthritic limbs ! The day after driving some balls at my buddy’s place , my lower back was a tad tender. I have some old injuries in the lower back ( like many I’m sure ). Oh well , Use it or lose it - they say. Let me know if you end up with the property. Maybe I’ll drop in some winter with my FM3 and clubs. Lol.

One piece of advice I got many moons ago that helped me a lot was to start at the green and work back to the tee. The longer the club, the more it magnifies your bad swing and the harder it is to control. Start by putting, then chipping, then short irons, and then long irons and driving.

I second the idea of getting fitted. The clubs you buy don't need to be super expensive but having them fit you is the most important thing. After that you will realize its just like guitar gas but a lot cheaper. The hardware that is.

You need to go get fit which doesn't mean expensive but does mean that your height, length of your arms, flexibility and swing speed, etc. will be used to put you into a decent set of clubs that will give you the best chance to stay out of the woods and water.

Back
Top Bottom