[BEST EXPRESSION PEDAL] - Nicest gradual taper

Hi guys,
I've hooked up my Ernie Ball VP Jr. to the Axe, but no matter what taper I pick in the Axe, the envelope is way too sensitive. Touching the pedal and moving it up slightly gives way too much volume. I want more control over it.

So, what's the best expression pedal suited for the Axe? Something nice 'n sturdy, but something that I can get in stores as well, not looking to import some special Axe-Fx Expression Pedal (if there's one).

Your gonna have to shop around and try everything. I use the Rocktron Utopia for Volume, Mission SP-1 for Wah and trying out others (Boss FV-500L) for whammy.
I am stupid picky. I even used the Alesis F2 for a short time...... I may take an old shoe and a piece of wood, the pot and spring and make my own one of these days... :p

I have been using a Roland EV-5 with my Ultra since january and it does do the job well. Better than I thought it would.

I use it mostly for volume or reverb/delay levels, but I do sometimes use it as a wah and it works well, even if it does not feel like a wah pedal (being light and plastic'ish...)

They are quite cheap and easy to replace, but mine has not shown any issues yet. As for how the pedal reacts, that you can set quite wel in the AxeFX so I never had any
issues with that.

Jens

Yeah, I'm actually looking for something more sturdier. The EV-5 is a pedal I had in the past and while it's light, I'd like something the size of the VP Jr.

Hi guys,
I've hooked up my Ernie Ball VP Jr. to the Axe, but no matter what taper I pick in the Axe, the envelope is way too sensitive. Touching the pedal and moving it up slightly gives way too much volume. I want more control over it.

So, what's the best expression pedal suited for the Axe? Something nice 'n sturdy, but something that I can get in stores as well, not looking to import some special Axe-Fx Expression Pedal (if there's one).

You have to change the potmeter in the Ernie Ball to a linear 10 -25 kohm potmeter, it is fairly easy if you can do a little soldering
Buy the best quality pot for the longest durance

You have to change the potmeter in the Ernie Ball to a linear 10 -25 kohm potmeter, it is fairly easy if you can do a little soldering
Buy the best quality pot for the longest durance
I've read that as well, however, can I then still use it as a regular volume pedal without it changing the tone?

The problem may be the audio taper of the pot in your VP. You can make up a cable with an external resistor to flatten the curve, or buy one pre-made from
Easy Expression Converter | dbinstrumentamp.com.
Okay, that's interesting, though I just bought new €17,- cable for the expression pedal function on the Axe. ;)
I guess it's cheaper than a new expression pedal, though I think the shipping from the U.S. can be quite the chore ...

Last edited:
I've read that as well, however, can I then still use it as a regular volume pedal without it changing the tone?

No it would act diffent than before ! I use a Ernie-Ball pedal with 25 kohm linear as my exp. for volume only, and an old wah pedal with nothing inside other than the same type pot for exp. pedal, dedicated to wah and changing different parameters - I also put in a special spring-devise, so it will allways come back to heel position. In that way its easy to use the auto-engage function in different settings - especially for the wah block.

Are you running the EB straight in to the Axe-Fx or in to a MIDI pedal?

FWIW linear taper is much better with Fractal products IMO. That goes for the Axe-Fx or the MFC-101. But with my All Access I find a logarithmic taper works best -- it seems to be setup for the Hex which has a logarithmic taper pot in it.

I personally don't like the Hex. It was a PIA to get it setup working with full range of values with the All Access. And mine doesn't stay in toe up position (value == 0) -- it falls down a bit nno matter what I've tried to do to keep it there.

The Utopia looks nice. And, yea, can't go wrong with Mission.

I have experienced the same problem with the EB JR's, just ordered one of the cables LMO suggested (I will get another if all is well). It may take a while to get to the UK from USA but I will post my findings when it arrives.
Thanks for the tip LMO I was about to buy 2 new pedals, this has saved me some money to go into the Axe-II fund.

Back
Top Bottom