Best DAW?

Logic for big things and Reaper for the quick and dirty.
Interesting. I'm Logic for the big things and GarageBand for the quick and dirty. Though, new iMac means I can launch Logic fast fast fast now so I'm using GB less and less and less.

Do Reaper & Cubase have features that can accomplish the detailed editing in Logic, namely Flex-time and Flex-pitch? (Logic user and Reaper owner here)

I'm a wanker who uses Pro Tools.

I just like the way you route plugins, having an edit\mix window and everything is where I like it (AKA: Got conditioned to liking it)

But at the same time, Ableton is fucking amazing if you're doing anything Midi. So these days I tend to do my Midi in Ableton, export each track individually and drop them into a Pro Tools session for final mixing.

I had no idea Passport was still around. MTP version 1.0 was the first sequencer I ever used (on a Mac Plus).

I looked at SAW early on, but it was too expensive. Back then, having a DAW written in assembly code was a great benefit though.
I had Master Tracks Pro 3 or 4 on my PC. I miss it. I spent a lot of time working with it and learned it quite well. Paid a lot of money for it, like $200 or $300. I did get a copy of SAW from a friend and I think it ran on dos? Never did much with it tho.

I had Master Tracks Pro 3 or 4 on my PC. I miss it. I spent a lot of time working with it and learned it quite well. Paid a lot of money for it, like $200 or $300. I did get a copy of SAW from a friend and I think it ran on dos? Never did much with it tho.

I'm sure you already know that Bob Lentini, the creator of SAW, lives here in Vegas. He was ahead of his time when computers needed all the code efficiency a programmer could muster. I've seen SAW being run at certain events here. I might try the demo out of pure curiosity.

Thinking about all of this makes me want to break out my Music Quest MXQ-32M.

DAWs are whatever. They're basically the same. I have a bunch, but I mainly I still prefer my first, only because I know it like I know the back of my hand. I've used it since it was a mini only sequencer way back in 1985. Digital Performer. Not the most popular, but it has all of the features. I also use Pro Tools, Ableton, and Logic Pro. But it doesn't matter. Just get one and dig in. They all sound essentially the same. They have essentially the same features and use the same 3rd party plugins. Logic has the best Virtual Instruments built in and is more price friendly than DP, PT or Logic, but I've never been able to feel comfortable with it. The way I work, which is very unusual, for me it's ass backwards. But that's me because my setup is strange. Logic just seems illogical to me. DP and PT are very similar. If you can use one you can use the other.

Don't over think it. Jump in. The water's nice.

I agree with the folks saying that DAWs all essentially do the same thing, so your end product will likely not be much different. Having used Mac and PC long enough, I'd agree that Logic Pro is a great choice as an all in one solution if you own a Mac. You can make amazing recordings with that DAW alone. I'm very comfortable with Pro Tools (it's my primary) mainly because it's still the DAW of choice at Berklee and it was sort of force fed to us. Studio One isn't a bad choice either, it's relatively inexpensive and like Pro Tools it's cross platform capable. That became important to me when Apple decided to leave the power users hanging (still the case). Like other said, pick one and get to know it well and you'll be able to make great recordings.

Do Reaper & Cubase have features that can accomplish the detailed editing in Logic, namely Flex-time and Flex-pitch? (Logic user and Reaper owner here)
I'm not an expert, but in Reaper you can certainly modify the pitch of an item without affecting its duration, you can also time adjust without affecting pitch of an item. If that's what your question was? You can also speed up or slow down a project with or without pitch adjustment. (handy for learning new tracks)

I think one thing reaper doesn't have is lots of bundled instruments, how good the bundled instruments are with other DAWs I don't know. As an amateur the free vst's around suit my purposes. For pro standard stuff, I suspect most people would prefer bespoke instruments rather than bundled ones?

Currently on Mac Pro and ProTools. Taking a serious look at updating to an iMac 5k and running Logic Pro.

I'm waiting to see if they announce new mac pros. I have a feeling they will be cost prohibitive because the imac pros already sound ridiculous ($5K for the entry level?). I'd like to go back to the mac for music and video production but I've got a feeling they are pricing most of us out.

I'm waiting to see if they announce new mac pros. I have a feeling they will be cost prohibitive because the imac pros already sound ridiculous ($5K for the entry level?). I'd like to go back to the mac for music and video production but I've got a feeling they are pricing most of us out.
No. The 5k is not the price it is the retina display. I have been looking at the iMac with logic pro. I hate the idea of learning new recording software. I am a seasoned ProTools user. The iMac I am looking at is just over 3 grand. My Mac Pro was state of the art in its day, but it is a Macasaurus at this point. Even at 3 grand the 5k iMac is very expensive, at least to me. I am a retiree and living on a broke income now (it was fixed when I had a job, but it's broke now that I don't). You can check out the 5k iMac at Apple Store. I am looking at a beefed up one so I can mix with it. Sorry for the confusion amigo.

I'm talking about the nearly launced iMac Pros coming out.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Not currently available. I think the entry level is supposed to be $5K dollars. That's for a very powerful computer but probably impossible to fix or upgrade. I'm waiting for the vaguely mentioned/described new generation of mac pros, but if the iMac Pro is any indication the prices will be ridiculous. I'd love to back to the days of just turning my computer on and have everything running smoothly with little fuss. I can manage just fine with a WinPC, but I did love my mac.

Only a long time use in studio and live recording for serious production can reveal the best DAW and even in that case not all the features can be "the best". Some daw can be the strongest in the midi area, some other in the ITB mixing and summing... so... to me THE BEST is the one that better meets your workflow and better cover your needs (fast, rock stable, stright pointed to your mission goals).
I use Reaper AND Cubase Pro 9 (Win7 64 here).

Agree with trying some demos and see whose layout and workflow feels right to you.

I use Reason (definitely in the minority here, it seems to appeal more to the electronica/dub/hiphop producers)... it's one of the first I learned so I'm just comfortable with it. It pretty much does everything I want (except video support) but like all of them it has it's pros and cons.

I'm sure you already know that Bob Lentini, the creator of SAW, lives here in Vegas. He was ahead of his time when computers needed all the code efficiency a programmer could muster. I've seen SAW being run at certain events here. I might try the demo out of pure curiosity.

Thinking about all of this makes me want to break out my Music Quest MXQ-32M.
Yep, I had a Music Quest 32 thingy too, as recomemded by Bret Hanson at Mahoney’s Drum Shop.

Back
Top Bottom