Best DAW?

Currently on Mac Pro and ProTools. Taking a serious look at updating to an iMac 5k and running Logic Pro.

Newbie here. From the low rent department, is it possible to record a pro sounding CD on Audacity? I just learned about Reaper here and will get it soon, and I imagine it's easy enough to move my Audacity project over to Reaper, but, let's just say 'has it been done' that you could send your Audacity files over to e.g. Disc Makers for a legit pro CD that you could distribute commercially? Thanks.

I love reaper (came from Logic) because it is fast and responsive. I only use it for simple recording and reamping through the axe. The price is great and if you have to learn a DAW it might as well be this one ;) I'm currently recording an EP with my band and the studio we use also uses reaper.

As has been mentioned: lots of DAWs work very well :)

Reaper can be tried for free

Newbie here. From the low rent department, is it possible to record a pro sounding CD on Audacity? I just learned about Reaper here and will get it soon, and I imagine it's easy enough to move my Audacity project over to Reaper, but, let's just say 'has it been done' that you could send your Audacity files over to e.g. Disc Makers for a legit pro CD that you could distribute commercially? Thanks.
Do yourself a favour and start with reaper now so you can get to know the tool asap. Start off with the free version if you are unsure

Reaper is amazing value for money. A friend who converted from Pro Tools, converted me from Sonar. I experienced a small and compact program with tons of features, and much faster and smoother to operate. (it can even run of a usb stick in portable mode. How many of the heavy DAWs can do that?). Also, I had pops and cracks at low latency settings in Sonar, but these problems disappeared in Reaper. I have never been so happy with a DAW, free updates are released all the time, and the learning process was smooth as well because of all the resources on their forum, and the free video tutorials on their site.

Anyone here using a DAW in Linux? I'm running Ardour at the moment, but not 100% committed to anything yet. The good things I've been hearing about Reaper are making me consider the switch.

One more vote for Reaper.

The installer is just little over 10MB! It's really fast. I got converted from Sonar long ago. The size of Reaper might be also a huge minus compared to other DAWs - there are no default instruments. Then again, after learning the different VST-s one tend to replace the default instruments anyway (depending on the DAW and likings).

On Mac. Long time Cubase user here. Before it was Nuendo which is sort of the same as Cubase.

I also use Ableton Live 9. More for loops and sounds etc. But purely for recording I think Ableton is not as good and user friendly as Cubase. It is illogical in Ableton that the tracks panel is on the right of the screen instead of the left as on any other DAW. Also editing is not as handy if you are used to Cubase.

If you want that vintage sound, Win95 Sound Recorder, my dude

sound_recorder.gif

hey dudes, what DAW do you guys recommend or prefer for recording with your axe fx for studio quality recordings?
It really is personal preference, I use Sonar Platinum with a Creation Station I purchased at Sweetwater! However, It's really about the ideas that you come up with more than the software or PC! Just keep creating man!!

Back
Top Bottom