Best DAW?

Flippy2good

hey dudes, what DAW do you guys recommend or prefer for recording with your axe fx for studio quality recordings?

There are a vast number of DAWs out there the days. I think it boils down to just grabbing one and learning everything about it. Great stuff can be recorded on any of them. I personally am comfortable with Ableton Live and use it for just about everything these days. I used it to record my album (which is available completely free on the website in my signature). I have used and really like Sonar as well. I've messed around a bit with Reaper and thought it was cool. For quick and dirty demo recordings, I really like Audacity for its very simple interface.

There are a vast number of DAWs out there the days. I think it boils down to just grabbing one and learning everything about it. Great stuff can be recorded on any of them. I personally am comfortable with Ableton Live and use it for just about everything these days. I used it to record my album (which is available completely free on the website in my signature). I have used and really like Sonar as well. I've messed around a bit with Reaper and thought it was cool. For quick and dirty demo recordings, I really like Audacity for its very simple interface.

Hi, see my thread
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/recording-with-usb-and-focusrite.132187/
How do you route it?

Seriously though, they're all great nowadays. Cubase is a good mix of ease of use and powerful features - few long-term users switch away.

If you're on Mac you'd be silly not to try Logic, which is also very powerful and very cost-effective.

The best value relative to power by far is REAPER, but it also has a steeper learning curve in relative terms.

Lastly, some are better at editing and worse at MIDI, and vice versa - but all in all they're all fine and dandy. Research if there's any differentiating features which matter to you, and then buy based on that.

For me, that feature was price (I'm not doing enough to justify a Pro Tools budget), so I got REAPER, and I couldn't be happier. You can even build all your macros and work patterns into scripts within ReaScript and fully automate your workflow.

There is not a best DAW..... the best daw is the daw that fits better your needs and makes you able to reach your results in less time and with less trouble .... sonically .... there is not a difference so extreme between one or another in the digital domain.... about summing they all sucks in the reality ... but there are some great albums summed digitally .... so ....

Honestly look at reviews, and see what works for you. I started on cakewalk then found out about reaper. But eventually found myself using Logic Pro. Thats what works for me the best the way its laid out is awesome. Try them all you can find demos and stuff. I know a person who swears by cubase, and friends who love pro tools. So something thats popular might not work for you. So ill say it again. Just like getting a guitar try them all out.

Any modern DAW is capable of professional studio quality results as long as you know what you are doing (that's the hard part). Mostly it comes down to personal preference and budget. Reaper works great for me. Hard to beat for $60. Nearly all DAWs have free demo versions available. Download a few and try them out.

Cubase Pro on Mac here.
It sometimes trips over itself from a GUI point of view but it's got some very powerful features. I would call it the home studio standard actually.

I learned cubase in 1998, therefore I would say cubase. But then if I had learned logic, I would say logic. But wait, there's pro-tools, which is great.

Basically pick one, they're all great and learn it.

Back
Top Bottom