Best complement to Axe-Fx III

What would be the ideal complement to the III? I'm thinking maybe an FM3, FC6 or FC12, and 2 EV2s or 2 EV1s or some other combo of expression pedals.

Mostly I'd be using it for studio work and I could see myself taking the FM3 around the house for working on patches away from the computer, using it as an audio interface away from the studio, and then for eventual jam sessions / gigs.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you could only have one FC to go with the III and FM3 would you go with the FC6 or FC12?
Personally I went with the FC-6 because my band plays at small pubs and bars where stage space is sometimes very limited. If space was no issue I would have gone with the FC-12, but having the FC-6 has not been a limitation at all.
My logic is that each preset can have up to 8 scenes. So you need 8 buttons. So I went with FC-12. At home it’s perfect.
I use one preset per song and haven't yet had the need to use all 8 scenes in a preset. Plus, even with 6 buttons you can still easily get to all 8 scenes in a preset.

I LOVE the FC-12. I love being able to get to anything I need to, quickly and easily and the way I have it set up with the layouts works so well for me. 8 presets, 8 scenes, 8 effects, and then one for CS switches - but so easy to get to everything super quick. And more importantly, any sound I need.

I was dead set on the 12, but after some soul searching and thinking back at what I usually end up doing at gigs, I found that the FC-6 would be sufficient, especially after watching a few videos showing what it can do.
Got it yesterday and kinda blown away with the possibilities.

I was dead set on the 12, but after some soul searching and thinking back at what I usually end up doing at gigs, I found that the FC-6 would be sufficient, especially after watching a few videos showing what it can do.
Got it yesterday and kinda blown away with the possibilities.
The FC6 with an external switch to switch views - has all the functionality of the FC12 but with only half of it displayed at any one time. Im using 4 external switches with a FC6 and with two functions mapped to each switch (ie press=tuner, hold= looper) its incredibly flexible.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think for my needs and space considerations I'm going to start with an FM3, an FC6, and one EV2. Do you guys program your FC6 or FC12 to also send midi to control your DAW?

Back
Top Bottom