Best Combo amp for use as an effects return?

rnjscooter

Power User
Hey everyone. When I fly I run my Axe3 to my Matrix GT100OFX-1U into Marshall cabs or whatever the club I am playing at has, and it rocks.

In church I created an Ax8 rig for my electric players running it into the fx return an old line 6 flextone, and it worked. Not the bomb, but it worked. My electric players aren't pros, just volunteers so they were happy.

I sold the AX8 and the F3 arrived. I am doing the same thing, running into the fx return of the flextone, and I am kinda feeling like its time to go next level. A better combo amp is fine, but I am not opposed to frfr either, other than now I gotta add cab blocks into the mix.

Would love to hear some opinions. thx!

I haven’t tried it personally (yet!) but I have always been intrigued by the Roland JC 40. It is super clean, has a stereo effects loop, and supposedly takes pedals really well. I have read of some Helix users trying this approach with great success.

I have no idea what would be the best, but I'm running my FM3 into the return of an Egnater Tweaker 15 head to a matching 1x12 cab with a Celestion Alnico Blue and to my tastes, the tones are amazing. I've owned Fenders and Marshalls over the years, as well a beautiful custom Fuchs TDS 50, Carr Rambler, Aiken Tomcat and others ... and I've never been happier than I am with this simple, inexpensive, lightweight rig. Life is good!!

Hey everyone. When I fly I run my Axe3 to my Matrix GT100OFX-1U into Marshall cabs or whatever the club I am playing at has, and it rocks.

In church I created an Ax8 rig for my electric players running it into the fx return an old line 6 flextone, and it worked. Not the bomb, but it worked. My electric players aren't pros, just volunteers so they were happy.

I sold the AX8 and the F3 arrived. I am doing the same thing, running into the fx return of the flextone, and I am kinda feeling like its time to go next level. A better combo amp is fine, but I am not opposed to frfr either, other than now I gotta add cab blocks into the mix.

I personally had better success running into the front of an amp with a bold clean tone as a base. Never found an amp that sounded good with the AX8 or Axe in the amp's fx loop.

I ran the FM3 into the FX return of a Fender Mustang GT100. Mono amp, but stereo fx loop (if you need that sort of thing) with dual XLR outs. Not a high dollar solution; but sounds great to me.

My recollection is that at least some of the Flextones had the speaker modeling after the effects return unless some sort of secret handshake was instigated to turn it off. Also, I don't remember what speaker those things came loaded with...but I'm guessing not the Celestions you're used to in those Marshall cabs.

I just got a DSL40 in a trade yesterday, going to play with it this week to see what works and what doesn’t.

I'm using an SD170 and a pair of Bogner Cubes - sounds awesome - so you could mount the SD on your pedalboard next to the FM3 and single spkr cable out to the Cube and job done..the Cubes really do kick out a thump too and they are fairly light so a pretty easy moveable rig IMO - I've never really had much success with running into a Combo Poweramp - and I've used/have quite a few - Mesa MKV, Bogner Shiva, Bogner Atma, Mesa Stilletto, Mesa IV...the list goes on...

Back
Top Bottom