Best combintations of Amp/ Speaker for Rock, Blues Rock Style?

I'd say just use your ears, as they will be the true judge for what you subjectively find "the best".

Its super quick and easy to try different IR's these days, and Al's little free utility program can even automate it for you, changing IR's ever 30 seconds or so, which means you don't even need to take your hands off your guitar.

Don't even concern yourself with what speaker model it is, just play it and see if you like it.

Results of what sounds best to YOU might just surprise you

And you may know that anyway.Most of the old rock is played low gain but hugely loud.Listen to Smoke on the Water from the Machine Head( not the later live Made in Japan) you may be stunned how low gain that is

Roland

Nothing wrong with the tried and true Plexi / V30 412 cab combo.

That said, I think it would be a nice feature for the AxeFX or AxeEdit to suggest a matched cab when selecting a new amp model. Guitar Rig software does that and I think its helpful.

This would be AMAZING!

As TheAmpFactory stated, checking out the full Wiki with the suggested cabs helped me A TON:

Link Here For Fractal Fun

Personally I dig the Fender amp tones as well as the Texas Star (Mesa Lone Star) models with the suggested cabs. Throw a distortion block in front of it with a tubescreamer and you are blues'ing away mate.

Typically my preset blocks go: Compressor > Vol/Pan (control with foot pedal) > Distortion (T808) > Amp (Deluxe Verb) > Cab (Deluxe Verb) > Delay > Reverb

Once you start dialing in your tone, really play around with different cabs and mics for the cabs. It gives the presets completely different depth for what you want to achieve. Also, Cliff talks about the "Character" value in your blocks that adds and manipulates depths to your amps in a lot of different ways. See here.

Thanks, and stick with the forums. There is a ton of knowledge on here that just makes this product superior to the rest! Good luck!!

Wonderful link ibanezfreak4 ! I forgot all about that particular page.

The ideal for me would be to have this feature, and have the option to turn it on or off. Sometimes I'll want that as a place to start; other times I may have something close to what I want and then want to audition different amps w/ the same cab, and not have to keep changing back...

I use a Super Reverb, two cabs, both plexi 4X12's, one near field, one far field, both mic'd with U87's. The super reverb ('superb', for short) is a great 'clean-to-break' blues amp. All the fenders are. My old patches were with the twin model, but the super reverb is a little less nasal, and a little warmer and more 'open', somehow.

I'll throw another suggestion into the hat of already helpful ones. Since you know the tones you're after, dig up info on what those artists used during what ever time period/song/album/tour interests you the most. Just find amp/cab/speaker/guitar info and toy around in those areas in the Axe. No need to get into the Advanced parameters in most cases. This will usually get you close in no time. Take it from there.

Yes, thats a great way to nail a tone. Guitar Geek can be lots of help figuring out what a musician is using Eric Clapton of Cream - Guitar Rig and Gear Setup - 1967

I think Frank Zappa's nasal out-of phase SG has little in common with SRV or Clapton, and even less with Steely Dan or van halen. All good tones, but commonality???
Thanks Andy. Love your evocative descriptions! :)

Since Im Old School, the sounds I strive for are inspired by bands like Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Allman Bros.,Queen,Eagles, Yes, Van Halen, Steely Dan, Little Feat, Lynard Skynard, Frank Zappa.

Yes, I realize this covers a wide range of styles, but the guitar tones all have a certain commonality I seek to create on the Axe.

Ive only owned 3 amps in my lifetime, so consulting a long list of amps and cabs leaves me feeling a bit stupid and overwhelmed. ;)

Precisely, though I know Zappa didn't play fenders (Carvins and... I can't remember what he played before Carvins, or after).

But, yeah, Fender's the place to start!
Then You need Fender.. most of those (apart from halen) played fender amps, and recorded with them too.. all 1x12 cabs.. (mostly)
Early BF's/twins/and tweeds are your friends!

I'd say just use your ears, as they will be the true judge for what you subjectively find "the best".

Its super quick and easy to try different IR's these days, and Al's little free utility program can even automate it for you, changing IR's ever 30 seconds or so, which means you don't even need to take your hands off your guitar.

Don't even concern yourself with what speaker model it is, just play it and see if you like it.

Results of what sounds best to YOU might just surprise you

Yes, I agree. My selecting an amp then going thru all cabs opened my ears to this approach.

But Al's utility wont work for me. Im on a Mac and its currently limited to PC. Thats OK. The Axe Cabs will be just fine for the time being. :)

Yes, I agree. My selecting an amp then going thru all cabs opened my ears to this approach.

But Al's utility wont work for me. Im on a Mac and its currently limited to PC. Thats OK. The Axe Cabs will be just fine for the time being. :)

Aww, thats a shame, didn't know it was PC only.

I think its really a fantastic tool to help creating patches with one's ears, instead of brain, as it helps free up the preconceived notions of what "should" work well together, not to mention certain bias we might have to want to prefer a certain model over another, because we think of a given brand cab, speaker, etc as "better" and thus may prefer it in a non-blind test, but actually not like it in a blind test.

I know for me, its oversized 4x12's with Greenback's, as they are just "rock n' roll", and so many artist I enjoy used that setup. I also often claim to not really like V30's, thinking them a bit harsh, but amazingly, when I've gone into it blind, a v30 IR can sometimes sound ideal to me.

Sometimes I think it would be better to just have our cabs labeled 1, 2, 3 etc, instead of the mic and model used.

Its like someone ask, "hey, how does cab 2 sound ?" and you reply "oh its great, really cuts well" instead when they say, "hey, how does that Diezel v30 cab sound" and we go "it sucks, typical harshness, I always hate these"

I'm always equally surprised how many amp models I actually have liked in the Axe, that I otherwise would say I don't like in reality because of what I've heard from artist using them etc.

I really like the Fender tweed amp models, tweed deluxe in particular, for that gritty, raw, edge-of-clean blues tone too. The Axe II is packed with classic rock and blues magic. I was hesitant about getting one at first since so many of the clips and demos are super high gain metal, djent, shred, progressive, etc., but 10 minutes playing through the plexi and super reverb models erased any worries I had.

I love the Wrecker 2 with TV Mix(#103) and PT ir or #84 in combination. Sounds FAT.....

I will also add, that "cookie cut" builds are not always the best approach, simply put...there are too many variables to consider in today's guitar market, everything effects tone in a good/negative way.. from strings to cables to speaker systems and guitars. - so while one can rave about one type the other is left feeling cold. - so a good practice is to certainly put your hand in teh cookie jar, and then stumble on from there once you know what works/doesn't work...

Don't be afraid to mismatch things too..hell, Marshall with a Fender cab for example.. Ok this is not the norm.. but if it works then great!

Another way to look at this, is the "tone searching" - how many of us have sat down and said.. Ok lets create X tone..lets use David gilmour for this example.. he uses HiWatts, Pete cornish pedals and a 4x12 WEM cab live, and a recorded LazyJ amp in the studio..(recently) - but so many who try and duplicate his tone often don't use ANYTHING remotely similar.. and some of the best DG clones Ive heard are from a odd setup (often the case) - this enforces the rule, that today's guitar market is irrelevant to what its suppost to be. - its all about figuring out what you like and your comfortable with..

And of course.. not forgetting the most important part of all.. ITS THE WAY you play the makes the tone too.

So to summerise.. - Don't follow fences, go astray and explore.. just sit down with Amp+cab block, and twist a few knobs..you will soon figure it out!.. the AxeFX was designed for this purpose....your Kemper was designed for a different reason.

Good Luck

-'66 Fender Twin Reverb (Double Verb) with fender 12'
-JTM45 with G12
-Plexi with G12/V30

I've heard the tucanas are good too.

Also search the forums for someone's attempt at replicating a marshall major.
Basically a modded plexi patch.
It sounded thick man. Probably what you wanted.

I use preset #1. 59 Bassguy.
I modded the preset with a External Control Volume Pedal after the amp/cab.
Crank up the volume on my Matrix Amp, adjust the overall volume via my Red Matrix Expression Pedal.
I typically run my guitar's volume control at about 60% and adjust to the amount of Rock or Roll I want.
Same settings for home garage practice, just lower the volume on the amp.
One preset to rule them all! #1 !!!

Loopie...

Back
Top Bottom