Best bang for the buck acoustic???

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I will start spending several months every year in India, away from my beloved electric guitar and Axe-Fx. I was thinking of taking one of my two acoustics and leave it there, but they are high end (Taylor and Breedlove) and they would be sitting there gathering dust for the majority of the time.

So I'm thinking of buying a lower-priced guitar to leave in India. But I'd still like something reasonable. I remember reading somewhere (on this forum?) and some great deals in acoustics. I would like it to have a cutaway, but don't necessarily need electronics.

I think I recall reading good things about the Guild GAD series, as well as the PRS Angelus Standard.

Oh, budget-wise, I'd love to spend only $500, but may be willing to go a bit higher for the right guitar.

Any input? Thanks...

I've been quite lucky when I bought two Takamines (6 and 12 strings) and a Ovation. Middle to low priced but wow they sound great: not as my '72 Martin or 87 Taylor but this two will never leave my studio.

Go for a Norman. Canadian brand and hot stuff for the money. Put my hands shorly on a second hand B20CW for sale in a pawn shop last Saturday and regret not to have available right away the 300 Euro pricing. I'm afraid you might want to leave it at home and finally take the martin with you

Seagull acoustics are also Canadian made, so you get better guitar for the money because you aren't paying for any tarrifs or duties on them. They have a wide variety of models at the $500 CAD price point.

I had a GAD Jumbo -- I don't think it was that cheap though. Pretty sure I paid upwards of CAD$1000 for it. In any case: was only a so-so guitar. I wouldn't have called it great bang for the buck. The inlays weren't set flush and I could feel their edges under my fingers. That drove me nuts enough to sell it.

I also had a Norman way back when. Also not a fan. The drift in the woods over the years was terrible. Humidity dulled the heck out of its sound.

I'll +1 Seagulls. Worth a look for sure. I generally heap high praise on everything Godin Instruments touches (Seagull is owned by Godin). Their necks can be a bit porus, which you either love or hate. I prefer their gloss finished models to the spruce-topped ones. I think they project a little nicer, a little tighter and you don't have as many problems with humidity and tone.

Honestly, I think the best bang-for-buck acoustic you can buy is an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45 -- solid back, nice top -- it's just a really nice, cheaper J-45 (which is the best workhorse acoustic guitar you own IMHO). It's slightly more than your budget, but I think you'll find it's worth the money. Find one, try it!

+1 for Seagull. Great guitars. Made here in Quebec by Godin.

Norman, Art et Lutherie, Simon et Patrick, La Patrie are all Godin brands too and cheap, but Seagull is something special.

I played a Morgan Monroe j45 style acoustic that a friend got for about $500 that blew my mind in both sound and playability. Stunning for $. Seagull and all the associated brands are as noted, good value as well.

Just play a few metric tons of used acoustics until one jumps out at you. I have a cheap Washburn dread that kicks my Taylor's ass. Loud, beautiful tone, and it cost less than three bills.

Reactions: Rex
Taylor 100 series...
Best guitar for the money- and the right one can blow away guitars 20x the price.

My choice is a 110
But a 110e/110ce/114ce all great choices- and you can get them new around $500 pretty easily.

Or spend less and get a used Baby/Big Baby-
Also- assuming the guitar is not well cared for being away from it- the laminate sides and back can take a lot of weather/abuse/humidity changes much better.

I've been quite lucky when I bought two Takamines (6 and 12 strings) and a Ovation. Middle to low priced but wow they sound great: not as my '72 Martin or 87 Taylor but this two will never leave my studio.

I will second the Takamine suggestion. I picked up a second hand Tak Ltd 90 years ago and it continues to be my main acoustic. Electronics sound great, on par with other brands 4 or 5x the price.

Oh, budget-wise, I'd love to spend only $500, but may be willing to go a bit higher for the right guitar.

This is the next acoustic I will be purchasing because of the tonality and full sound coming from a mini:

Taylor GS-mini-E Koa
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...1UZ5ecAEzigpMnmCb__aFC7844iIOIW5f4aAi1J8P8HAQ

I believe there is a version with no electronics for the price range you're seeking. Guitar Center has one typically in stock and is a blast to play as well as beautiful in person tone.

PRS Angelus SE - played side by side with many that cost $3 -5000 - had a hard time telling the difference in tone. Obviously fit/finish, woods etc are going to be better/different with the higher price point - but tone wise, I was super impressed and bought one a few years ago. Still sounds and plays great.

You mentioned traveling. I was looking at the Seagull parlor sized for that reason about 2 years ago.
Great tone for the size! Really high quality building for the price.

Ended up spending more and buying a PRS Angelus! Such a great instrument!!
The perfect neck for an acoustic. Great on-board pre amp if you plug in.

I have a Taylor 300 series that I prefer to leave at home.
The PRS is as good a guitar. But its a laminated body which gives it a really different, tight and controlled tone.

I bought a jumbo Yamaha (LJ6) a few years back as a campfire guitar that I really love. Frequently reach for that axe over some much higher end (in name and price) guitars... Pulled out a drill and installed an LR Baggs soundhole pickup on my own to round it out and will be keeping this thing around for the long haul.

Check out the Ibanez EW series.
I bought one at GC for a 'gig beater', and it has proven to be an outstanding purchase.
It sounds excellent both unplugged and through a PA.
It also has a gorgeous top to it. I get a ton of compliments on the look and tone. People are always shocked when I tell them it cost less than $400.

Back
Top Bottom