Best audio interface that will work with Mac OS Catalina

Glauben

Just set up my Axe Fx III a few months ago, and loving it. Using an Avid MBox Pro 3. Aside from some minor glitches, everything was operating wonderfully.
Since the latest update of the MAC OS to Catalina, I can no longer use the MBox, as it is not supported on the new MAC OS.

Need to get a new interface for the system and not sure what I should be looking at. There are compatibility charts on the I-net regarding the new Catalina. Looking to stay under $600.

why is the hurry to update to a new Mac OS?i always wait a few months before update to a new Mac OS because there is always bugs or compatibility with Apps or drivers.

Unless I intend to continue to use the prior OS indefinitely, (which is now a PITA), moving ahead with a new interface is likely the right choice, as the AVID people have published that the MBox is no longer supported or receiving updates.

Also, the Mbox UI was a bear to use, and was frequently crashing. It was only a matter of time.

I have an Apogee Quartet. The sound is good but the whole one wheel philosophy is a pain. You click the input and turn the wheel, then click the output levels and turn the wheel. Turned too much? Click and turn. Then you change patches and click and turn, click and turn some more. Get an interface that has dedicated knobs / wheels / buttons for each input and output!

I have an Apogee Quartet. The sound is good but the whole one wheel philosophy is a pain. You click the input and turn the wheel, then click the output levels and turn the wheel. Turned too much? Click and turn. Then you change patches and click and turn, click and turn some more. Get an interface that has dedicated knobs / wheels / buttons for each input and output!

How do you think the Apogee stacks up against the sound quality of the AXE interface?

I’ve just about had it with Apple. They need a new Jobs. They have turned me against using their platform because of moves like this. I’m not going to be letting someone else “manage” my data thank you very much. I say no to drugs and the Cloud. I’m currently thinking about what my next laptop will be. MacBook doesn’t even make a model with a hard drive big enough to host all of the programs I now own let alone data. Looking at the option of windows???!!! I can’t believe I’m even saying it out loud.

My friend had Sweetwater put a system together for him just for recording and he loves it. Microsoft is looking like an option at this point.

I’ve just about had it with Apple. They need a new Jobs. They have turned me against using their platform because of moves like this. I’m not going to be letting someone else “manage” my data thank you very much. I say no to drugs and the Cloud. I’m currently thinking about what my next laptop will be. MacBook doesn’t even make a model with a hard drive big enough to host all of the programs I now own let alone data. Looking at the option of windows???!!! I can’t believe I’m even saying it out loud.

My friend had Sweetwater put a system together for him just for recording and he loves it. Microsoft is looking like an option at this point.

Macbook Pro has the option for a hardrive up to 8TB.

I wasn't always an Apple guy, but too many headaches drove me there. I haven't had computer issues since switching, so that's a plus.

This is really not a Mac vs MS thread, so any constructive ideas on interfaces would be well appreciated. After perusal of the aforementioned link, I'm comparing the Motu vs the Focusrite. Any recs?

FocusRites are solid, their tech support is superb, too. I am not upgrading my Macs to Catalina until some time early next year with their .3 update. No need to do it. As for disk space, I use external drives via my MacBookPro, works just fine with audio recordings. USB 3.0 is fast.

If you can afford it anything by UA is the way to go. I've gone thru my share of interfaces over the years in my teaching/home studio. Had Apogee Duets then when to the Apollo Twin. It was night and day. Currently invested in a Apollo X6. Best home studio interface for making quality demo's. But they're really expensive.

How do you think the Apogee stacks up against the sound quality of the AXE interface?
Hey Maxolla. For what I do the AxeFX is awesome 99% of the time. Even now it is really just a matter of convenience rather than superior quality - I have been adding a few extra sound sources recently and it is easier to use the Quarter to control them. I have had it for 4 or 5 years (pre Axe ownership) but if I was going to buy a new interface I would find something that is quicker to use.

Macbook Pro has the option for a hardrive up to 8TB.

My bad. When I recently went to an Apple store the biggest drive they had on the showroom floor was 512. The attendant said that was all they had. I just went to the Apple store and you are correct, an 8T drive will cost an extra $2200 dollars but it is available.

Add AppleCare+ for 15-inch MacBook Pro/16-inch MacBook Pro for $379.00
Get up to three years of technical support and accidental damage coverage.
$4,999.00
Shipping
FREE
Estimated tax for: 98033††Get estimated tax for the zip code you entered
$504.90
Have a promo code? Enter it now

Total
$5,503.90

RME stuff has always been rock solid, been using a Fireface 400 for many many years. One of those companies where the chief dude is active on the forum.... Worth checking out.

RME stuff has always been rock solid, been using a Fireface 400 for many many years. One of those companies where the chief dude is active on the forum.... Worth checking out.
Agreed. I used RME for years (FF800 and UFX) and don’t think I ever had a driver or reliability issue. Very low latency, too.

I've got an RME UFX+. Great interface with a lot of connectivity options. Highly recommended.

Also their TotalMix software is probably the best software-based audio interface mixer / control panel I've ever used. It takes a bit to learn how it works but once you do it's extremely fast and powerful to work with. I recommend getting the ARC controller too.

Back
Top Bottom