Best Audio Interface (that will not color sound) to use with AX8?

BTW, I'm using the XLR balanced outs into the XLR ins on my Duet, and have the Duet input level set to +4dBu (which bypasses the mic preamps I think). Either way, it sounds great.

I ran the 1/4" into my duet and while it sounded ok, there was some constant noise. When I ran with the XLRs there was no noise, pure silence unless I was playing something. Why would that be? I am even using the Humbuster 1/4" cables.

I ran the 1/4" into my duet and while it sounded ok, there was some constant noise. When I ran with the XLRs there was no noise, pure silence unless I was playing something. Why would that be? I am even using the Humbuster 1/4" cables.

What level setting are the Duet inputs on? Instrument, -10dBV, or +4dBu? Should be +4 whether using XLR or 1/4. I don't use the 1/4" jacks for anything so I can't compare. The XLR inputs are very quiet, although I get digital ground loop noise from the FireWire connection if I use my iMac (not on MacBooks though).

I also switched from 1/4 to xlr last night, first thing I noticed was the volume. With 1/4 the volume for the pre on my saffire had to be up around 2 or 3 o clock to get a strong signal. With xlr I had to back it down to 10 or so. Not too sure about noise but I think it might be quieter in that regard as well.

Makes me wish the fx loop had xlr out, I made the switch do i could set a preset up to play the Looper through my right monitor and my guitar through the left. Still works though so I can't complain. I do have some 1/4 to xlr cables, might try those and see if the difference is actually made on the interface side.

Just want to mention that the 2i2 does not allow stereo monitoring and this problem has been about 90% of the support emails I get directly, regarding recording. I do not suggest the 2i2 for the Axe or AX8.
I have the 2i2 & I find it unusable with the Axe Fx II XL+. I'm just using the Axe Fx II as my interface now, but I'm looking to buy a stand alone unit for my AX8 as well.

Neil Zaza recommended the Apollo Duo & he just loves it, but that thing is BUCKS!

What's Mark Day using for his interface on his AX8 clips?

Peace! X

Last edited:
What you want is an RME Babyface. I've tried dozens of interfaces and the RME is by far the best i've come across. The drivers are rock solid, take very little resources and i've never experienced a crash. Sound, clarity top notch, no pops or clicks or anything. I don't work for them, just trying to save you the aggravation. Also, the Focusrite Mixer will require a PHD if you want to master it.

Last edited:
I have the 2i2 & I find it unusable with the Axe Fx II XL+. I'm just using the Axe Fx II as my interface now, but I'm looking to buy a stand alone unit for my AX8 as well.

Neil Zaza recommended the Apollo Duo & he just loves it, but that thing is BUCKS!

What's Mark Day using for his interface on his AX8 clips?

Peace! X
Mark can add his input when he has a chance, but I believe he goes straight out of the 1/4" outputs on the AX8 into is "MIC" input on his Apple Laptop.

What level setting are the Duet inputs on? Instrument, -10dBV, or +4dBu? Should be +4 whether using XLR or 1/4. I don't use the 1/4" jacks for anything so I can't compare. The XLR inputs are very quiet, although I get digital ground loop noise from the FireWire connection if I use my iMac (not on MacBooks though).

Digital ground loop noise? - what does it sound like? I am a new user and have an iMac that I am running AX8-Edit on, and I have noticed a faint crackling sound, something like the sound of static electricity on a sweater in winter, but real faint. It seems to come and go while I am playing and I've been wondering what's causing it.

Mark can add his input when he has a chance, but I believe he goes straight out of the 1/4" outputs on the AX8 into is "MIC" input on his Apple Laptop.
Thank you very much Joe & I just talked w/ Mr. Day & he said the following:

From Mark:

"I sometimes go direct right into the side on my MacBook Pro or else I use a Roland Octa Capture"

This is something that I never even thought of & I'm going to check this out on my Mac tonight when I get home. I've only recorded w/ Pro-Tools directly through the 11-Rack in the past. I'm on Presonus Studio one 3 now & just trying to figure this all out for the AX8. Oh...& I'm really enjoying this thread guys!

I also looked into the Roland Octa Capture & OMG that thing is just way cool.

Thank you all for the help here!

X

Digital ground loop noise? - what does it sound like? I am a new user and have an iMac that I am running AX8-Edit on, and I have noticed a faint crackling sound, something like the sound of static electricity on a sweater in winter, but real faint. It seems to come and go while I am playing and I've been wondering what's causing it.

What I'm talking about is a digital noise that gets worse when the iMac CPU is working harder. It goes away completely when I remove the USB cable from the AX8 or Axe-Fx (which removes the ground loop). It's not a Fractal issue, it's a Mac issue - some of the USB and FireWire components used in certain years didn't have a good grounding design.

So I looked into the cable needed & verified it w/ Mark too.

There are cheaper ones & shorter length ones too.

I'm going to get one & try this w/ the AX8 into my Mac like Mark does & see what happens.

Peace! X

What I'm talking about is a digital noise that gets worse when the iMac CPU is working harder. It goes away completely when I remove the USB cable from the AX8 or Axe-Fx (which removes the ground loop). It's not a Fractal issue, it's a Mac issue - some of the USB and FireWire components used in certain years didn't have a good grounding design.

If its digital noise: it sounds more like a clocking issue: the AX8 is fixed at 48khz: If the Mac is set as clock source and is 44.1 and trying to convert on the fly: crackle, crackle, all day long. Go into the Mac's Audio/Midi and set the AX8 as the clock source and at 48khz.

So I looked into the cable needed & verified it w/ Mark too.

There are cheaper ones & shorter length ones too.

I'm going to get one & try this w/ the AX8 into my Mac like Mark does & see what happens.

Peace! X

So you don't need the four ring plug for the mic?

hi guys,
I just sold my AXE FX II XL that I bought used at the beginning of this year and now I am waiting for the AX8 (waiting list in Europe :)) )

I am interested in buying an audio interface for home use with the AX8 that it will not color the sound too much.
I saw Misha using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in a video with AXe FX II and had the opportunity to try a friend's Scarlett with my Axe FX.
maybe was just my impression (and his :)) ) but seemed that the preamp was coloring the sound in a noticeable way.
I understand that I should look for an audio interface that has the preamp bypassed for this or going SPDIF from AX8 to the audio interface? is that correct?

is there any other interface between 200- 300 $ that will not color the sound too much - the preamps are bypassed ?
also is it better to use SPDIF for this or the regular line in jack or xlr?

thx a lot :)

To OP: sadly, there is no such thing as "Best audio interface for [insert $ here]" :)
Most people will suggest the interface they are using, so it will be impossible to make the right choice :D

So you don't need the four ring plug for the mic?
I have no idea what that is or means actually. Mark said that he does this & goes direct into his Mac like this, so I'm gonna give it a try.

I'll know on Tuesday & will report back to everyone.

X

If its digital noise: it sounds more like a clocking issue: the AX8 is fixed at 48khz: If the Mac is set as clock source and is 44.1 and trying to convert on the fly: crackle, crackle, all day long. Go into the Mac's Audio/Midi and set the AX8 as the clock source and at 48khz.

That doesn't apply to analog connections, which I'm using. Crackle isn't the right word; more like fuzzy beeps and bloops that get more frequent and louder when I do something more CPU intensive. As I said, it isn't limited to the AX8; I hear it anytime a ground loop is created through the FireWire or USB ports, which is hard to avoid. The problem disappears on my 2015 MBP, so I attribute it to iMac build issues.

I was going to post a new thread, but I think this may help a few other guys here in this section as well as me.

How can you record the AX8 using the SPDIF (or any output) with an already existing device like the Axe FX II XL+ or the Avid Eleven Rack? I would want the Axe-FX or the 11-Rack to only connect me to my DAW through the USB port.

Any ideas on how either of these set-ups would work or has anyone tried this out yet? I assume that I set-up the device in question to receive & then pass through this audio?

I'd hate to buy a new interface just to make some cool AX8 demos if I can already use what I've got.

Tips & thoughts are appreciated & welcome here.

Thanks! X

I was going to post a new thread, but I think this may help a few other guys here in this section as well as me.

How can you record the AX8 using the SPDIF (or any output) with an already existing device like the Axe FX II XL+ or the Avid Eleven Rack? I would want the Axe-FX or the 11-Rack to only connect me to my DAW through the USB port.

Any ideas on how either of these set-ups would work or has anyone tried this out yet? I assume that I set-up the device in question to receive & then pass through this audio?

I'd hate to buy a new interface just to make some cool AX8 demos if I can already use what I've got.

Tips & thoughts are appreciated & welcome here.

Thanks! X
Set your AxeFx for Input 1 Rear, and then build a preset of all SHUNTs.

In general digital is the preferred connection (lossless), no DA/AD conversion.

Never heard of bypassed preamps in an audio interface, in general an audio interface is a preamp. I have an 18i8 and I can’t say that there’s any mentionable coloration going on.
Same experience here. I go through USB.

Same experience here. I go through USB.

You go USB Audio out from the AX8 to record? I'm a little confused - I thought that USB audio was not included and was a major difference between the AX8 and the rack mount Axe-Fx models. I haven't tried recording via USB on my AX8. If USB audio works on the AX8 that would certainly be the best and simplest way to record it.

Back
Top Bottom