Best Audio Interface (that will not color sound) to use with AX8?

Sorry, I should have specified that I use a II. What meant to convey is that my Focusrite 18i8 does not color the sound via USB...

Set your AxeFx for Input 1 Rear, and then build a preset of all SHUNTs.
Thank you Joe, I will try all of this now.

So I make the input set to rear, use the S/PDIF OUT of the AX8 into the S/PDIF IN & create a rig w/ only a single long shunt (aka cane) from input to output then?

I'll start there & try that out.

X

Thank you Joe, I will try all of this now.

So I make the input set to rear, use the S/PDIF OUT of the AX8 into the S/PDIF IN & create a rig w/ only a single long shunt (aka cane) from input to output then?

I'll start there & try that out.

X
Actually, I missed the S/PDIF. Change your MAIN INPUT SOURCE to S/PDIF.

Actually, I missed the S/PDIF. Change your MAIN INPUT SOURCE to S/PDIF.
Thanks again w/ all of this Joe!

Maybe I should have just asked this.....What's the BEST WAY to run the AX8 through the AXE FX to record through USB & only use the AXE as an interface?

You're being of great help to me here & I truly appreciate your time & energy!

Tim

Thanks again w/ all of this Joe!

Maybe I should have just asked this.....What's the BEST WAY to run the AX8 through the AXE FX to record through USB & only use the AXE as an interface?

You're being of great help to me here & I truly appreciate your time & energy!

Tim

I'm not sure there is a best way. Anything that works....well, works. Instead of setting up the SHUNTs, you could simply change your USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE to INPUT.

Focuseite's clarett 2pre can be had for just under $400 usd second hand. Believe it can be used for stereo monitoring (in the software) if I'm not mistaken and sports thunderbolt.

only have a TC electronic desktop konnekt 6 sound card that do not have a Spdif in...
Is this cable will do the job for that ?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_aes_ebu_spdif_cable_male_3.htm

desktop-konnekt-6-rear.png

Make it easy on yourselves:

SPDIF is an easy and high quality way to record: No need to change any of your carefully tweaked settings on the AX8 from how you've got it dialed in. It's just a matter of plugging in a SPDIF cable: hit record: and get optimal quality. No signal degradation.No additional DA and DA conversion going analog out to record via XLR or TS. Easy. No complexity to break the inspiration of the moment (note: Output 1 (main) should be at/near max - see the manual). Fractal Audio thought this out very well.

I like monitoring the AX8 (via XLR) separately from through the DAW: That way, I don't have to turn on or even have a computer to play, and I listen to the AX8 monitor separately from the mix when practicing or tracking. No adjustments to the AX8 in order to record, and just a matter of unplugging cables to take the AX8 out on the town. Easiest guitar recording ever.

Last edited:
I considered all of these, settled with the 6i6. Superb interface, absolutely no worries so far. Digital mixer is a godsend, which gives you very flexible routing options. Didn't get the KA6, because you couldn't directly monitor SPDIF (only outputs 1/2 if I remember correctly).
I stayed away from the Quad Capture for something to do with the headphone and the main out volumes being linked (I think, can't quite recall if that was the exact issue).
I plan to monitor the AX8 directly over SPDIF to the 6i6, and then record to a DAW, for zero latency tracking.

Is there any reason not to buy the Gen1 6i6 vs Gen2? Good deals to be had on the older model now.

To chime in on this SPDF thing.

I have a couple Apple's with the optical inputs. Presently, I'm using a 6i6 with SPDF, but I just noticed that you can get cheap ($15) Digital coaxial to optical adapters on Amazon. I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

Also, I would be curious as to measurements of distortion and latency between SPDF and a single extra AD stage. My guess is that it would be negligible, or pretty close to it.

BTW, I watched that great Kingman vid. On Facebook comments, he says he's using SPDF in that vid (this guy can sell products :D )

Last edited:
I have a focusrite 6i6. It has spdif, but I mainly run the AxeFx into the rear line-ins. Mostly because of laziness. Never felt the need to compare the two. Sounds great. Then again my purposes aren't professional.

Last edited:
Just want to mention that the 2i2 does not allow stereo monitoring and this problem has been about 90% of the support emails I get directly, regarding recording. I do not suggest the 2i2 for the Axe or AX8.

Chris is right (as always). Go at least with the 2i4 if you choose Focusrite.

So, just to be clear is it only Focusrite models as low as the 2i2 that do not monitor in stereo? Or is it for all Scarlets? I've been planning on getting the 6i6 (due to the S/PDIF connection) and doing all my direct recording and monitoring from the interface. Stereo monitoring shouldn't be an issue with the 6i6, right? I'll be recording with a PC, don't have an Apple, so I'll be going the USB interface route.

So, just to be clear is it only Focusrite models as low as the 2i2 that do not monitor in stereo? Or is it for all Scarlets? I've been planning on getting the 6i6 (due to the S/PDIF connection) and doing all my direct recording and monitoring from the interface. Stereo monitoring shouldn't be an issue with the 6i6, right? I'll be recording with a PC, don't have an Apple, so I'll be going the USB interface route.

Just the 2i2. I have the 2i4 and it does monitor in stereo. If you also want SPDIF, I think the lowest you can go is the 6i6.

Back
Top Bottom