Best Apple AirPod Alternatives

For pure functionality, they are definitely tops. They move seamlessly between Apple devices you own. Touch features work very well. Auto-pause when you remove one is nice. Battery life is decent.

They do not, however, block enough ambient noise for me. I use my earbuds on a noisy train commute and I need a lot of ambient noise isolation. For that commute I vastly prefer Shure 215 SEs. They're a good compromise on price. And I pair them with the RMC-BT1 cable so they're wireless. I get a good 6 hours on a charge. I like that the drivers and cable are discrete. I can upgrade them individually. I'll likely move to the RMC-BT2 later in 2019 to get the BT 5 support and even better sound.

I went through a bunch of ear pads on the SE215 and settled on the medium foam. They're ultra comfortable for long wearing and do a fantastic job isolating ambient noise without making me feel like my brains are getting sucked out my ears the way the silicon tips do.

Unless I am on a plane (or mixing) I don't like to be totally isolated from the environment. So the AirPods are perfect for me. I recommend them highly.

I guess the China thing has hit Apple pretty hard too. None of the Apple stores around will have them available until after Jan. 10th.

Airpods > everything else. Really I haven't tried anything else because they work so well across my Apple constellation of things: iPhone, iPad, Mac and watch. I don't have any problem with the audio per se. The telephone audio is great, no issues there. The only trick is to learn which beep means what as far as batteries wearing off (They'll last for a good two hours on a phone call). So, I have no reason to try anything else.

Best for what? You aren't going to be listening to music on AirPods, are you?

I wouldn't use them to deliberately listen to music. I've got studio monitors and quality headphones for that. But I will listen to music if i'm at work, or whatever. I also, think Earbuds are a good litmus test when listening to a mixed track. I like to listen in my car, through my cans, through my monitors and through some earbuds.

The main reason is to be chord free when messing with my Macbook or using my Iphone.

Airpods are the best what they are made for! There is no contest.

They work seamlessly with my iPhone, MBP and Apple Watch. Easily the best Wireless earbuds out there, that I've had.

I wouldn't use them to deliberately listen to music. I've got studio monitors and quality headphones for that. But I will listen to music if i'm at work, or whatever. I also, think Earbuds are a good litmus test when listening to a mixed track. I like to listen in my car, through my cans, through my monitors and through some earbuds.

The main reason is to be chord free when messing with my Macbook or using my Iphone.

I see... Deliberately or not, I can only really use wired or wireless Apple earbuds for calls, and sort of have to tolerate them for audiobooks, although that causes a considerable amount of suffering. Music? Come on. Even the wired version is cruel, wireless is abviously even worse.

That said, I understand that there’s not much alternative without the 3.5 jack - I’m in the same boat. But I just don’t listen to music on my phone anymore. If you can do it, I admire your tolerance really.

I see... Deliberately or not, I can only really use wired or wireless Apple earbuds for calls, and sort of have to tolerate them for audiobooks, although that causes a considerable amount of suffering. Music? Come on. Even the wired version is cruel, wireless is abviously even worse.

That said, I understand that there’s not much alternative without the 3.5 jack - I’m in the same boat. But I just don’t listen to music on my phone anymore. If you can do it, I admire your tolerance really.

Put yourself in a car full of kids and a wife who listens to sugar pop music or the old Elvis station and those earbuds no matter how crappy they sound, are a blessing. Or go on a trip with a buddy who snores, and they'll save you by pumping the smooth sounds of the ocean or a rainforest, or some Ozzy.

Put yourself in a car full of kids and a wife who listens to sugar pop music or the old Elvis station and those earbuds no matter how crappy they sound, are a blessing. Or go on a trip with a buddy who snores, and they'll save you by pumping the smooth sounds of the ocean or a rainforest, or some Ozzy.

I've been in those situations, of course, but I don't see why they specifically justify using crappy earbuds? Using decent ones also works.

My search for such a thing has lead me to conclude apple AirPods are what I'm looking for given the application. I did spend some time researching and I have a set of Jaybirds. I have a problem with the kind that 'plug' into your ear with the multiple ear pieces that are tailored to fit people. It could be a salt allergy, or whatever but I tend to swell up during the day and one size may be comfortable one minute and a few hours later it's painful. Goofy, I know. So I'm stuck with the airbud/airpod design which doesn't feel uncomfortable because they're not noise cancelling. Moot point now, I've ordered them. Out of curiosity, what was your suggestion?

Out of curiosity, what was your suggestion?

I don't know, even the cheapest Shure "IEMs" like SE215-K-BT1 would be better, IMO, if you need wireless, and they even cost less than AirPods. The 215s are single driver, but since it's not balanced armature, they don't suffer from poor bass response like other IEMs with less than 3-4 drivers.

My ears don't work at all with Apple's headphones. They just fall immediately right out of my ears. I got a pair of Beats X as they use that Apple chip for quick pairing and longer battery life. Not bad. Just ordered some foam ear tips though because these also keep falling out of my ears.

My ears don't work at all with Apple's headphones. They just fall immediately right out of my ears. I got a pair of Beats X as they use that Apple chip for quick pairing and longer battery life. Not bad. Just ordered some foam ear tips though because these also keep falling out of my ears.

I find these a great addition - help keep them in and improves the seal/bass a bit. No affiliation, just a customer.
https://www.earbuddyz.com/

AirPods are the shit, until the wrong moment for them comes to fall off into the toilet or the crack of your car seat.....

My wife bought me a pair for Christmas. I had been considering one of those odd looking , one ear solutions for talking on my phone while using my hands , and I thought - Hey , why not just get the AirPods. They are great. The isolation thing is poor , and bass freq suffer , but it does allow you to hear your surroundings, which can be advantageous.
Lol. I have looked down at the toilet while wearing them and thought , “hmm , this would be a bad time to have one fall out of my ear.”

Back
Top Bottom