Best amp to run Ax8 through??

4x10 Power Engine?!?! I forgot about those- they look like cool old Bassman's or something. I'm going to have to look for one of them- that's a GREAT idea! Post some pics and some sounds please!

Been running my AX8 through a Seismic, 350 watt, 15" powered monitor and it sounds really nice. Very full range and detailed. So far, so good.

Plugged my AX8 (poweramp and cabs disabled) into the return of a Fender Mustang III: so impressed that I'm thinking about getting another one to go in stereo, especially now that the new Mustangs are out and the old ones can be found very cheap.
-
I"d be interested in what you liked about this solution. I'm not sure I understand at all why you would want to disable the amp and cab sims as part of any solution since that's 2/3rds of what the AX8 does- it effectively makes the AX8 in this solution a very expensive pedal board- but no disrespect- as one of my hero's (Yngwie) say's- if it sounds good- it is good! I do understand the expense angle though- Mustangs are inexpensive.

I should try the 4 cable method just for fun- I have like 10 other amps with effects loops in them- just to see how it sounds.

Basically, you go down the ladder from having everything the AX8 has on offer, to limiting it to adapt to the external hardware being employed.

AX8 - full tilt boogie with amp, effects & cabinet IR: into a high quality FRFR = the full range of what the AX8 has will sound great: More time playing, less time getting the sound right (IME).

AX8 - cabinet off, speaker drive adjusted: into a high quality SS amp and a speaker = the range of what sounds good through that speaker. Excellent if you can get what you need from one cabinet.

AX8 - sag=0,cabinet off, speaker drive adjusted: into tube power amp = which ever of the preamp part of AX8 amp models can be tweaked to sound good into a particular power amp & cabinet. 4CM too. For when the amp is the master and the AX8 the servant.

AX8 - effects only = like a pedal board. Ideal for running a few pedal models into the front of a Deluxe or the like.

Last edited:
-
I"d be interested in what you liked about this solution. I'm not sure I understand at all why you would want to disable the amp and cab sims as part of any solution since that's 2/3rds of what the AX8 does- it effectively makes the AX8 in this solution a very expensive pedal board- but no disrespect- as one of my hero's (Yngwie) say's- if it sounds good- it is good! I do understand the expense angle though- Mustangs are inexpensive.

I should try the 4 cable method just for fun- I have like 10 other amps with effects loops in them- just to see how it sounds.

It's just one way of using it: I'm just re-doing all patches from my Boss GT-100, which I've used for 3 years with the Mustang. When playing in bars, it's easier bringing just an amp and a pedalboard than trying to go direct (shitty PAs, sound guys not understanding how these things work, etc). 4CM cable isn't worth for me: too much hassle and AX8 preamps sound inifitely better than those in the Mustang. Note that I don't disable amps when plugging the AX8 into the Mustang, only poweramps.

Most of the time I'll be using it for recording, with poweramp and cab enabled. And, if I play at the theatre pit, where everything goes direct, I'll use it this same way.

For me it's not just an expensive pedalboard, it's an all-in-one solution for many different things, with the best quality I've ever had in a pedalboard/multifx/preamp (and I've had quite a few).;)

I am using an ISP Stealth Amp to go to a guitar cab if needed (e.g. in the rehearsal room, or if the FOH doesn't like DI-signals).

My presents usually are going parallel direct to the Output block. Signal without IR goes left out, signal with IR (and PEQ if needed) goes to the right. I don't run stereo effects, btw. (and does not plan for it, since we are two guitarists. Maybe on the AX8 successor if I have to do anything new from scratch).

There I have the nice oppertunity to run both at the same time without using the FX-Out.

Back
Top Bottom