Best amp model for “Chainsaw” Tone

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone have a amp model suggestion for a nice bright chainsaw ish tone?

the best amp model I’ve got so far for this is the Solo100

In general turn down MV to increase the preamp's influence vs. the poweramp's. And you might prefer cold biased, high neg feedback, lowered X-former match.
Have you also tried the Angel Severe 1? Lower gain settings recommended there, too much gain flattens everything.

Chainsaw would be coming from a drive block first, i think. I wouldnt be looking at amps to accomplish it.
That's true. I can hear the Rat scratching....
But don't it feels weird to make no use of an amp block in a preset?

For me, the secret to a great chainsaw tone is in the pickups and none of 'em do it better than the Fluence Modern's active voice. EMG81 comes very, very close.

This might sound weird, but a HM2 into a Roland JC and a bright IR should do the trick. Fiddle a bit with the Bright Cap and boost high frequencies on the Amp input page.

A lot of the so called chainsaw tones I’m hearing on YouTube from drive pedals have way more white noise than the tone in my head that I’m after.
This is my experience as well. Drive blocks add more noise, even with the gain on 0. High-gain amps also tend to have high amounts of preamp hiss. Gates tend to be a "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" type of situation (i.e. it'll chop your note off once the note decays into the noise floor or it'll take gain/tone off of the source itself - negating the primary use in the first place).

I've seen many recommendations for Engl models, but they're too noisy with even mild levels of gain for my tastes. I've gotten fair results with the Soldano models, although I'm not sure that would be considered "chainsaw". Perhaps the right IR (e609/e906 mics are fairly bright) could help as does playing with the Input Dynamics, Input EQ, Preamp, a Filter before the amp, a PEQ after the cab, etc.

Back
Top Bottom