Best All Around IR pack

jiggajewjay

Inspired
Hey Fellow Fractalites

Quick one for the community at large... I produce predominantly Pop music (I know I know - just giving the people what they want :) ) and I already own quite a few of the Fractal Cab Packs as well as a few from Mikko and OwnHammer. Was wondering which one would lend itself to POP genre.. I typically blend my guitars in with pads and synth so that guitars are typically not the most dominant in the mix but I like a nice heavy distortion tone like Freidman or Mesa so that the guitars cut thru the mix in the higher frequency range and blend in with the rest of my production. Aside from that, i would also like the IR pack to include something that has nice IR's for clean tones that will sometimes be used in verses and even Hooks. Not looking for Djenty stuff... nor even IRs that lend themselves to heavy leads. just a solid IR pack that is great for clean and distorted rhythm.... any thoughts on a IR pack that has a good blend of diff IRs that can achieve this? Cab Pack 20 - ML Brit 4X12 looks promising albeit quite on the expensive side for IR's that are being used for something that is being blended into a mix. As opposed to the typical guitar heavy mixes where specialized IR's are typically more valuable. Or perhaps there are even Amp/Cab combo's that are stock that you feel lend themselves to POP heavy and POP clean guitars.... Hope i am providing enough info. thank you in advance for your suggestions. good day!

This is not an answer, but, I believe a relative question. Thanks in advance

Does anyone know, what the top selling cab pack is? Thanks again.

No idea what the top selling pack is, but to maybe sorta try to answer the OP's question, you can download Cab Pack 1 for free and that's got a bunch of different cabs in it. Should give you some extra variety to play around with.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-pack-1-is-now-free.102778/
Thank you! i actually purchased pack 1 when it first came out and i understand that it was re-released in UtraRes format... so aside from that pack being a freebie - does it in fact lend itself to POP guitars in particular? or does "Pop guitars" not really make any sense without context? thanks!

Thank you! i actually purchased pack 1 when it first came out and i understand that it was re-released in UtraRes format... so aside from that pack being a freebie - does it in fact lend itself to POP guitars in particular? or does "Pop guitars" not really make any sense without context? thanks!

When I think pop guitars, I think of Vox and Fender amps with a Telecaster or something. You're probably on the right track, but you may wanna check out CabLab if you're prone to second-guessing yourself. It's great to be able to change the cabinet sounds in a mix after the fact and I don't think I can do back to not having it.

I think you need to clarify what you mean by "pop" as this is a very broad category.
That said, among the Fractal cab packs, here are some of my favorites for pop styles:

1. The Vox Beatle in CABS IN THE ATTIC
2. The 4x12 Brit 70s GB in Wellspring Vol 2
3. The Double Verb in Cab Pack 4
4. The Carol-Ann in Cab Pack 5, and the one in "Obot"
5. The AC30 NTB in Wellspring Vol 2

When I think pop guitars, I think of Vox and Fender amps with a Telecaster or something. You're probably on the right track, but you may wanna check out CabLab if you're prone to second-guessing yourself. It's great to be able to change the cabinet sounds in a mix after the fact and I don't think I can do back to not having it.
hey there - that is a very interesting concept that i never really thought about... I am a huge DAW user and although i have occasionally used the Axe FX as the interface when tracking guitars in order to capture the wet & dry signal - I have re-amped using the dry tracks with a lot of success BUT..... sounds like you are you saying that if i use the PLUGIN version of Cablab... that i am not "married" to the IR... and i can easily swap out the IR to something else and although that is not quite re-amping its re-cabbing :) is that your workflow? sounds really interesting... it works well ... kind of like a regular plugin would work in a DAW (or even precisely that)... Let me know b/c i currently own the Standalone version and after reading this i am kind of wishing that i would have gotten the plugin version instead... Thanks!

hey there - that is a very interesting concept that i never really thought about... I am a huge DAW user and although i have occasionally used the Axe FX as the interface when tracking guitars in order to capture the wet & dry signal - I have re-amped using the dry tracks with a lot of success BUT..... sounds like you are you saying that if i use the PLUGIN version of Cablab... that i am not "married" to the IR... and i can easily swap out the IR to something else and although that is not quite re-amping its re-cabbing :) is that your workflow? sounds really interesting... it works well ... kind of like a regular plugin would work in a DAW (or even precisely that)... Let me know b/c i currently own the Standalone version and after reading this i am kind of wishing that i would have gotten the plugin version instead... Thanks!

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have the standalone and plugin version although I never use the standalone. I don't think I ever track a song without CabLab. I do all my tracking at 44.1 so using the Axe-FX as an interface isn't really an option, nor is re-amping, but a good chunk of the tone comes from the cabs so it works really well for me.

No idea what the top selling pack is, but to maybe sorta try to answer the OP's question, you can download Cab Pack 1 for free and that's got a bunch of different cabs in it. Should give you some extra variety to play around with.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-pack-1-is-now-free.102778/

Sorry, been looking to find this out to no avail and have asked before
I already have purchased 2 cab packs, and have used many downloads.
Very surprised I can't find this info on our forum.

he wants to know the highest selling cab pack...none of our bidness, really....i would guess, tho , one of mikkos mesa packs may be towrd the top.
Probably, but knowing this info can't help the OP with what he needs. He wants to get some good pop guitar tones, but if the top selling one was ML USA BASS or ML DIZZY, that's not gonna point him in the right direction. Just because everyone's using a certain amp model/cab/guitar/whatever doesn't mean it's gonna work for you and whatever sound you're trying to achieve.

Probably, but knowing this info can't help the OP with what he needs. He wants to get some good pop guitar tones, but if the top selling one was ML USA BASS or ML DIZZY, that's not gonna point him in the right direction. Just because everyone's using a certain amp model/cab/guitar/whatever doesn't mean it's gonna work for you and whatever sound you're trying to achieve.
you betcha. to answer the OP, i would recommend (from the FAS choices, Buddy's Boutique or the Obot the Robot

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have the standalone and plugin version although I never use the standalone. I don't think I ever track a song without CabLab. I do all my tracking at 44.1 so using the Axe-FX as an interface isn't really an option, nor is re-amping, but a good chunk of the tone comes from the cabs so it works really well for me.
Hey - just read this response... sounds like i made the wrong choice getting the Standalone version... Should have ordered the Plugin... can you tell me this one thing? if i am tracking guitars and i set my buffer pretty low to avoid Latency within the DAW (Ableton Live 9 Suite) - will having cab lab on each and every guitar track create a CPU nightmare or is it pretty low on the CPU-HOG-O-METER.... ?? Also is that the only way to use this? by placing one instance of CabLab on each guitar track? B/c after doubling or even sometimes (rarely) quad tracking... that can add up to a crap ton of instances of this one plugin... Can you use it on an AUX send if say you are using the Same IR for a bunch of the guitar tracks? wondering how people are using it... is there a good video out there showing the plugin parameters? how does it differ from standalone.... sorry lots of questions... just want to make sure that its a good buy. thank you!!

The plugin version is almost identical. I think the only difference is that the standalone version can send cab mixes directly to the Axe-FX. I haven't tracked the actual CPU usage but it's nothing major. You can use multiple instances in your DAW just fine. It'll probably solve most if not all your problems, truth be told.

Back
Top Bottom