Best Acoustic IRs?

rocknroling

Inspired
I want to add an acoustic preset for my Taylor. I was looking at acoustic IR's and the only ones I have seen are the the 3 Sigma presets. They sound fantastic, but I was curious if anyone has any others they have used and really enjoyed.

If you search for taylor and IR on the forum some popular free ones will pop up.

I must admit that I get best results, if I make my own IRs for my own acoustic guitar, because you both need to match the on-board transducer, the guitar and to some extent the playing style.

If you search for taylor and IR on the forum some popular free ones will pop up.

I must admit that I get best results, if I make my own IRs for my own acoustic guitar, because you both need to match the on-board transducer, the guitar and to some extent the playing style.
That would definitely be the best route to go. Unfortunately, I only play live. I do not own any nice studio microphones or preamps. So I am sure the IRs that are out there would have been recorded with much better gear than I have.

The Nashville Taylor 914 just blew me away! My Taylor has the same expression system and it was just killer! All the reverbs on the AX8 all sounded very unique and I had a lot of fun trying to see which ones I liked the most.

On a side note, My Digitech Drop pedal does NOT work on the Taylor expression system! not sure why, but both the dropped tones and non-dropped tones were going through through the AX8 and that doesn't sound very good. Especially when you are trying to just go down 1/2 step!

On a side note, My Digitech Drop pedal does NOT work on the Taylor expression system! not sure why, but both the dropped tones and non-dropped tones were going through through the AX8 and that doesn't sound very good. Especially when you are trying to just go down 1/2 step!

What you are likely hearing is the sound coming from the Taylor itself, mixing with the 'Drop-Tuned' sound coming from the AX8. The 'amplified' sound from the AX8 would have to be very loud to completely over-power the 'acoustic, sound, even when using headphones. Acoustic guitars are much louder than solid-body electrics.

You could verify this by recording the 'Drop-Tuned' AX8 signal.

I run my Martin through my AX8 but I don't see the need for an IR. Basically I just add some compression, verb and delay. It sounds just like an acoustic guitar cause it is.

I run my Martin through my AX8 but I don't see the need for an IR. Basically I just add some compression, verb and delay. It sounds just like an acoustic guitar cause it is.
The idea is to make it sound more like a mic'd up acoustic and less like a piezo pickup.

I just read through those threads,.. thanks for sharing this stuff again... I need to sit down and mess with this a little more with my Taylor ... I bought the Sigma ones a while back and they're "OK" with my guitar.. but I'm looking for something "More" :)

Anybody have an sound clips using their taylor and some of these IR's ..? I didn't see any in all of these threads mentioned :(

I just read through those threads,.. thanks for sharing this stuff again... I need to sit down and mess with this a little more with my Taylor ... I bought the Sigma ones a while back and they're "OK" with my guitar.. but I'm looking for something "More" :)

Anybody have an sound clips using their taylor and some of these IR's ..? I didn't see any in all of these threads mentioned :(

I should have some clips for you this weekend. I know I had to boost the hell out of the Level of the IR. I think i maxed it out to +20db and had my Taylor almost all the we up in order to match the output my electric side has. I loaded up a new patch the other night with the Taylor 914 IR, a really nice reverb, and a subtle delay and chorus (I won't be using the last two, but if I ever need them they are there) I have an outdoor bar gig Friday evening and will be using this on a couple of songs. I have a handy little Zoom Q2N camera that I use to record our live shows. I mostly use it for review to find the mistakes or weak spots in the show.

Yes that would be awesome!... I was reading somewhere that you use a "Filter" to boost the signal... I've never done that, on the ones I did I just used a power amp block or some clean amp or something... but I wasn't happy with the results. :(

Yes that would be awesome!... I was reading somewhere that you use a "Filter" to boost the signal... I've never done that, on the ones I did I just used a power amp block or some clean amp or something... but I wasn't happy with the results. :(
Just about any block will do that. I was originally using a parametric EQ, just left flat, but deleted that since I got the IR working. You can use a volume block or even the input section. Cranking up the signal did increase the floor noise a bit, so I added a noise gate that I could turn off by an instant access button

Back
Top Bottom