Best 4 Space Rack For Flying With Axe Rig

raymitchell

What's up!
Just been looking around and pondering which 4 space rack would be best to fly with. I want to take the Axe rig as carry on and keep it in the overhead compartment because, well, after seeing how loving baggage handlers have been with my gear in the past, there's no way I'm going to check the Axe rig - even in an overbuilt/alleged ATA flight case. Just not going to happen.

So, what I have around the house is a 4 space rack bag and an SKB X-Rack that is entirely too deep to meet or sneak by the new carry on luggage dimension requirements. The rack bag meets the dimensions but, I'm just not too giddy about having no more than a piece of canvas protecting the front controls of the Axe/Matrix/G-90 wireless.

Maybe what I can do is make a hard foam-backed panel that I can slip in to protect all those controls...hmm... Dunno, just thinking out loud and seeking the input of those here who fly a lot with the Axe as carry on.

As for the MFC/pedalboard - that'll be in its case inside my suitcase with my clothes and whatnot. I've done this before with my old Rocktron All Access setup and it worked suprisingly well.

Anyhoo....which rack?

Make sure you check which airlines you want to fly on. For example, the Axe by itself, with no rack at all, exceeds the allowed carry-on depth for United, Delta and American.

Make sure you check which airlines you want to fly on. For example, the Axe by itself, with no rack at all, exceeds the allowed carry-on depth for United, Delta and American.

Unfortunate but true. I wished the AF II were shorter like the AF Standard/Ultra. They could be fit in some TSA approved racks.

Hopefully AF III will shrink a bit... and get AX8 knobs.

We ended up going with a peli that fits the Axe and the pedalboard. It's the right weight to check in (just) and I know no matter how hard they try the baggage handlers won't be able to break anything. They're not cheap but I'm sure there's a peli solution that'll work for you.

iM2950-2.jpg

We ended up going with a peli that fits the Axe and the pedalboard. It's the right weight to check in (just) and I know no matter how hard they try the baggage handlers won't be able to break anything. They're not cheap but I'm sure there's a peli solution that'll work for you.

iM2950-2.jpg

I am not very familiar with Pelican's stuff. How does this work? Do they make custom foam shapes based on your equipment?

Thanks!

I am not very familiar with Pelican's stuff. How does this work? Do they make custom foam shapes based on your equipment?

Thanks!
They give you a block of perforated foam. You pick out foam pieces in the shape of your gear, and you're left with a custom foam shape.

iM2950-2.jpg

Wow, I have been looking into these Pelican cases !!

Could you post some pics with the Axe FX > MFC into it ?

Between both I guess a big piece of foam ?

Many thanks man !

iM2950-2.jpg

Hmmm, have checked the dimensions of this case , interesting :
Pelican : 29.00" x 18.00" x 10.50" (73.7 x 45.7 x 26.7 cm) LxWxD
Axe FX : 19”× 3.5” × 12” (48.3 × 8.8 × 30.5 cm) LxDxW

I flew transatlantic with United just 2 months ago, I had an acoustic guitar in a hardcase and a Gator 4U rackbag both as carry-on. They actually checked the size too and the rackbag slipped right into it. No problem at all.
Now I do admit though sometimes they can be assholes and if they are having a bad day there might be not much you can do about their power trip. But as far as I know yeh no problem so far. Always be nice and smiley to all of them cunts. :D

Good Post...
Bigger planes and non domestic flights would probably be ok with something like Gator 4U (as mentioned above).
Smaller regional and domestic I would say you just have to take it and smile and be nice.
I fly with camera gear and it's a tough fit on smaller planes but they have always accommodated me when I explain
what I have.

One of my bags I cram under my seat. When I get a chance I will check it's size vs my Gator 4U.

If making the AXE smaller is possible that would be a good wish list item.

On a side note certainly much easier to travel with than this. ;)

marshall.jpg

Wow, I have been looking into these Pelican cases !!

Could you post some pics with the Axe FX > MFC into it ?

Between both I guess a big piece of foam ?

Many thanks man !

Sorry for the late reply mate, here's a blurrycam. I'll try and get a better picture in daylight. Excuse the mess I've been raiding the box for bits since i've been home. All of the cables/power/junk should be underneath the pedalboard where that strap is. The board is angled, if you look carefully you can see where the ridge slots in so it lies flat ontop of the Axe.

IMG_4191.jpg IMG_4186.jpg

Back
Top Bottom